My Family Mobile cell plan from Walmart

Buckeye

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I finally purchased a Smart phone and joined the 21st century. I was buying mom a new 'pay as you go phone' at Walmart and noticed their My Family Mobile plan and decided to take the plunge. My new phone is two Android operating systems old but it was only $49.99 and it works fine. It uses the T-Mobile network.

Unlimited talk and text is $29.88. 2G of high speed data and then unlimited is an additional $10. For $39.88, I'm up to date! Unfortunately, this is not a pre-paid plan so there will be taxes other than sales tax added each month.

I also pay for my sister's cell phone (still under-employed). The good news is the cost of an additional phone on the account is $5 less per month. I haven't received my first bill yet so I don't know the total cost with the taxes but it should be less than any plan I've seen advertised (under $90 for two unlimited Smart phones).

Good work. One of our kids has a similar plan and we are right behind you with getting the rest of the family on board. Lower rates, no more contracts and no more cancellation fees for us.

The plan he has includes unlimited text and data with a limit on talk. He puts the voice plan through Google voice so the talk minutes go against the unlimited data plan which uses the wireless network at home.

Where did you get your $49.99 phone from? That's a great price.

Last edited:
Good work. One of our kids has a similar plan and we are right behind you with getting the rest of the family on board. Lower rates, no more contracts and no more cancellation fees for us.

The plan he has includes unlimited text and dtat with a limit on talk. He puts the voice plan through Google voice so the talk minutes go against the unlimited data plan which uses the wireless network at home.

Where did you get your $49.99 phone from? That's a great price.

Bought it from Walmart. Search for T-Mobile Concord on Walmart dot com. They still have them at that price. You can have it shipped or pick it up at a store if it is in stock.

It's really a ZTE V768. Cheap phone covers on Amazon.

Last edited:
Bought it from Walmart. Search for T-Mobile Concord on Walmart dot com. They still have them at that price. You can have it shipped or pick it up at a store if it is in stock.

It's really a ZTE V768. Cheap phone covers on Amazon.

I will do that. Thanks.

I am not very edumucateded when it comes to this stuff. Would I be able to use their system with my current IPhone4s? Or would I need to purchase something new at walmart?

I am not very edumucateded when it comes to this stuff. Would I be able to use their system with my current IPhone4s? Or would I need to purchase something new at walmart?

You may be able to get a Straight Talk pre-paid monthly plan at WM rather than buying a phone too.

We have the Walmart family plan and brought our own iPhones. We purchased a SIM card from Walmart, took out the old AT&T sim card and put in their new sim card. I do believe it would have to be an unlocked iPhone previously used on AT&T. A Verizon iphone won't work on t-mobile's network, the technology is different.

Moved my iPhone 5 (gift from previous employer originally paid for on their company plan - AT&T) and my DW's iphone 4 (previously on our AT&T plan) to the Wal-Mart plan.

Both phones had to be unlocked which was a hassle, more so on the non-work phone.

We would have paid over $160 month for the two phones if we stayed with AT&T. $87 a month total for both a month on Wal-Mart plan..

The bad - For some reason both phones revert back to the AT&T network (even though they have T-Mobile SIM cards. When this happens the functionality changes.

Found out from reading on the internet that the iphone 4 does not have the correct frequency built in to work on T-Mobile network so there is a behind the scenes fix always running (battery drain) that allows it to work, but not well.

Their explanation so far has been that since the phone was originally set up for AT&T if it sees an AT&T network it wants to "go home" What a crock!

For now we are living with it due to huge cost savings. Would recommend you get a phone set up to work on the T-Mobile network if you are going to use this plan.

YMMV

Hmmm good to know. Our contract is up this coming fall (Sprint) and we'd really like to use something less expensive. I don't know if I can live without data though. I KNOW DH can't live without data ;). We also want to add at least 2 kids (maybe 3) to our plan this fall as well (dumb phones only). It will be nice when the kids can call/text to let us know when they need taxi service!

Another no-contract, low cost service worth a look is Virgin Mobile. Both DW and I have used them since 2012 and it has worked well for us. They offer 2.5GB of data, 300 min of talk time and unlimited text for $35/mo ($45/mo gets 1200 minutes of talk time). Only down side is VM uses the Sprint network, which works fine for us but is limited in some areas.

Another no-contract, low cost service worth a look is Virgin Mobile. Both DW and I have used them since 2012 and it has worked well for us. They offer 2.5GB of data, 300 min of talk time and unlimited text for $35/mo ($45/mo gets 1200 minutes of talk time). Only down side is VM uses the Sprint network, which works fine for us but is limited in some areas.

My plan before Walmart was with Virgin Mobile. Loved their Paylo plan. 1500 minutes and 1500 texts but low end phones and no data for $30 + tax per month. Without a home phone, I needed the 1500 minutes. The Walmart plan gives me talk, text AND data. I was sorry to leave Virgin but wanted the data and the lower price.

I was with Smart Talk prior to Virgin but when I saw Virgin's 1500/1500 versus Smart Talk's 1000/1000 for the same price, I switched.

Back
Top Bottom