How Connected Is Your Community?

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I go through this process every month or so of think of switching my broadband connect but then end out staying. I have spotty DSL service which during the month randomly drops off. Might go a week without trouble, then struggle like heck during a day. :facepalm:

Anyhow, during the process I came a across this site that easily retrieves providers in your area (I just enter my zipcode).

National Broadband Map

Thanks! That URL looks helpful for evaluating broadband access at potential retirement locations, too.

Sorry about your DSL being such a pain in the neck! :blush: I switched from DSL to Cox Cable back in 2000, and looking at your link that apparently turned out to be the best choice for my area. They seem to think they can charge a fortune and get away with it, though. Or, maybe that's out of date thinking when it comes to prices, due to my age...

Last edited:
The map seems to be off a little on available speeds for my address for the listed wired access providers. Since I live some distance from the local telco office the best DSL speed they offer me is 1.5M, the map shows 6-10M. My cable company offers 5-60M, the map shows 100M-1G.

Glad that you found the URL helpful. I didn't think about it from a potential retirement location standpoint. Good idea.

I have AT&T as my DSL provider. It's just a pretty basic connection, but if I don't experience the random dropouts, that's all I need for the price. I think about going to Comcast, but don't want the price creep up that happens with them. My DSL service has been steady at about $20/month for many years.

The final straw may be if I'm making a transaction and the connection drops, leaving me unsure if the transaction was processed or not. Luckily, that hasn't happened yet.

As a work around on bad days, I got a usb 56K modem hooked up for dial up (good old dialup) so at least I can check my email or posts like on here and wait it out :LOL:

Last edited:
My community is well-connected, which is one reason I use an iTouch instead of an iPhone - there's free wi-fi all over the place (and if not, it can wait).

I used to have cable Internet through Comcast, but that was awful. I monitored it 24x7 for a while and it was up less than 20% of the time! I'd call them and they'd send these guys with plastic booties to stomp around your house and yard then... no change.

I switched to DSL and no service problems since. I'm not a streamer or gamer.

Back
Top Bottom