SSA's Any PIA Caculator and WEP adjustments?

34rlsa

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm using ANYPIA to calculate my wife's estimated benefit after accounting for her monthly government pension amount.

I have manually entered all of her previous annual earnings information (prior to beginning her government employment) while paying into SS. As expected her benefit is substantially reduced but it is still worth a valuable amount to our plan.

From others experience... is Any PIA a reliable tool for calculating an accurate benefit adjusted for WEP?

For a cross check you can enter earnings and pension info into the SSA online calculator (the one that supports WEP). I did that and get the same answer as ANYPIA, for whatever that is worth. So the one word answer would be yes.

I crossed checked with the online calculator and it matched.

Can we be confident of the numbers we calculate ourselves using the online tools?

Anyone ever have any surprises when you filed and received your actual benefits?

Since no one has apparently been unpleasantly surprised with their actual SS benefit verses what they had calculated on their own using the SS online tools... I guess it is safe to conclude we can rely on the estimates to accurately reflect the amount of the benefit we will receive at retirement. At least in the near future... foregoing any drastic changes to the current system.

I don't know where you could get a more accurate estimate.

I doubt that anyone who is currently over 55 (or maybe even 50) would see much of a change in benefits except for possibly some more taxation. The SSA usually makes changes that will affect people who are mostly too young to understand Social Security and believe they will never be old enough to get a benefit. Not intending to slight younger people, but I think this is largely how young people think. I used to be one myself.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom