Interesting Forums and Blogs

ImThinkin2019

Recycles dryer sheets
Other than this forum and Bogleheads, what forums and blogs do you find interesting? We're a little bit "earthy" so we frequent Permies forum and Build it Solar also....

Thanks!!

I'm a salsa dancer. I am a member of SalsaForums.com For what it is, it is equally as interesting as early retirement.org. It is a similar group of intellectually interesting people.

I read the Permies forum every now an then, I may build a rocket stove outside for fun.

Interesting/different/alternative information, health/nutrition videos
Nutrition may accidentally become more scientific soon.
AncestryFoundation - YouTube

Strobist is one of my favorites: Strobist

It's about photography, and using small flash to maximum effect.

I frequent a forum for Strat-O-Matic (tabletop sports) players. I also visit some blogs by early retirees and wannabees. The IMDB website has lots of message boards for my favorite movies and TV shows. Being childfree and an atheist, there are forums for both interests I visit.

I have recently developed an interest in General Aviation, and plan on starting training for a private pilot's license when I move back to Colorado in a year or so. A good forum I found is Pilot's of America at:

Pilots of America

I've also been a pizza fanatic for a long time, and ran across the Pizza Making Forums a few years ago. If you're really into pizza, and making your own, you can find some great recipes there, at:

Pizza Making Forum - Index

As far as social media is concerned, I limit my active participation to ER.org. But I am a great consumer of content. I subscribe to a long list of blogs and Youtube channels. My interests range from personal finance to commercial aviation, cooking, traveling, tea, hiking and camping, photography, EDC (everyday carry) gear, straight razor shaving, technology, zen/minimalism, personal vlogs, etc...

Livingstingy...a blog about ideas on how NOT to get trapped by the habits of poor financial decisions, and other interesting topics....

Years worth of articles...many that younger people should read and learn about to avoid costly mistakes over thier lifetimes.....

Livingstingy...a blog about ideas on how NOT to get trapped by the habits of poor financial decisions, and other interesting topics....

Years worth of articles...many that younger people should read and learn about to avoid costly mistakes over thier lifetimes.....

Just checked out Livingstingy. I like it.

This is currently really the only forum I follow on a regular basis (have never followed the Bogleheads beyond a few quick and cursory looks).

I followed a number of ham radio and photography blogs and forums for many years, and was an assistant moderator on a photography forum (which felt a bit weird as I am not an accomplished photographer but rather, was a personal friend of the forum creator, who thought I was good at engaging people and seeing both sides of a dispute). I have also done much reading on RV'ing as well. Andy Baird's fantastic RV'ing site was a favorite, until I read everything I could find on it several times over. Walt's suggestion of Strobist is a great one too - I was reading it for quite a while. When I first got into digital photography about 10 years ago, I was doing a lot of reading in the forums at DPReview but they did my head in after a while. I still value their camera reviews though.

I have 3 main interests - Ham Radio, Photography, and RV'ing and, at least for the time being, I feel that I have filled my head with large amounts of information on all 3 subjects. Does anyone else ever feel like this - that they're kind of tapped out on their reading?

The only interest I'm doing any kind of reading/following up on right now is street photography, to which effect I'll be going to the theater to watch the new documentary about Vivian Maier this week. Another photographer who I find quite interesting is Humans Of New York. He is not a street photographer in the classic sense of the label. I think that a lot of his images wouldn't stand up very well on their own, without the accompanying text. He takes street portraits of New Yorkers, asks them questions about their lives, and publishes the results along with the photographs. As individual street portraits most of them are OK but IMHO, nothing special. However, what does make the whole body of work stand out to me is the effect of viewing all the pictures, reading all the captions, and feeling that I am in some way, gaining an insight into the people who live in New York. He is not a great photographer but that's OK because, to me at least, the way in which he presents his work makes it of interest, and therefore, relevant.

Last edited:
As for forums, I mostly follow this forum but do also take part in some forums that talk about some online games that I play. Read Bogleheads sometimes.

I personally have a blog (not ER related) so I follow and read tons (60+) of blogs related to the subject. These are weight loss, weight maintenance and fitness blogs. A good way to find and follow blogs is to search around at Bloglovin.

Just checked out Livingstingy. I like it.
Just checked it out and saw this quote on his most recent post that rang very true for me,

"When you own something, but it is packed away or filed away in a closet or attic or drawer - and you can't find it - well, it is like not really owning that thing at all."

Hear, hear.

I read permies sometimes, too. I am going to buy a rocket stove from Amazon soon. I just tried out my new thermal cooker (hay box methodology) today and it is way cool. It works just like a crock pot but uses zero electricity.

[FONT=&quot]That does look interesting. I have some Nambu Tekki (cast iron) from Iwate prefecture that would work great for that. Thanks for the info.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]https://www.google.com/search?q=Nam...i-nambu-tekki-cast-iron-deep-pan.html;252;174[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

Thank you all for your suggestions

I appreciate them all. It's interesting how many photography buffs there are in this group.

Regarding the rocket stove, my DW went to a seminar so we are prepared to build one when we do retire. We'll be living in Connecticut in an area where we are likely to not have natural gas. So we expect to heat with wood. Having done that before and bucking up and splitting 5-6 full cords per year we don't want to do that again. Hence the rocket stove which should use less wood and more "scrappy" wood.

Right now in Chicago we have natural gas and it's almost a sin how cheap it is:). So that's our fuel here.

[FONT=&quot]That does look interesting. I have some Nambu Tekki (cast iron) from Iwate prefecture that would work great for that. Thanks for the info.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

I actually bought a pre-made Tiger Thermal Cooker. DH said no straw boxes in the kitchen. :)

Amazon also sells a wonder bag that works on the same idea:

Wonderbag - Home

I don't know why the thermal cookers aren't used more in the U.S. The only ones sold by me are in Asian markets.

Back
Top Bottom