Windows updated 3 times this week . What's up ?

Lakewood90712

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Microsoft pushed out windows security updates 3 times this week , instead of the usual once weekly on Tuesday. Big cyber attacks going on ?

I always suspect nefarious motives, like maybe they are mining your hard drive for useful data.
cbo

No they fixed one issue and created 2 others. IDK for sure that's what happened, but it's 'normal' in the industry today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

One of these $^(*%@ updates forced my laptop to reboot during some typing I was doing, I lost quite a bit of it. I suspect there was a warning, but was typing away and probably inadvertently caused it to shut things down.

Uggh.

If Apple could find a way to buy an ad on any rebooted browser immediately after a computer has had a forced Windows shutdown, they could sell a lot of machines.

Had a meeting today at 10, went to shut down my computer which I needed for the meeting and the stupid updates start. I waited 15 minutes before I had to leave, closing my computer. Get to my meeting, they still wouldn't finish loading, three hours later, I could finally access the reports I needed to present.

I got a single update of 19 fixes about 3 days ago. My system is set up to install updates whenever it is restarted. I turn it off at night so I know there was only the one update this week.

I thought Windows updated on the first Tuesday of every month.

I did get an update yesterday - I think this has to do with two vulnerabilities in Windows that were recently identified.

I looking at update history , one dated 10/14 , 9 dated 10/16 , one dated 10/17

I learned my lesson long ago and have switched to manual updates only. You can configure how, when and IF Windows updates itself.

Java keeps telling me they have an update but the last time I did that I got a lot of ads popping up. Do I really need Java? If I don't I am really tempted to uninstall.

Husband has a new W7 computer and is being driven nuts by a security precaution when he inserts a thumb drive. It asks for a password on the security tab but can't find a security tab. ARAHH!

I have had Windows under my control for years. I install updates at the end of the day when there are more than 12 pending. I will download their virus definitions file more often from MSE before running it once a week.

I figured out the problem, it was an HP security setting on his new 'puter. Solved, I hope.

I do understand why that was done as these little drives are a source of viruses and data theft. The drives are new from Costco so no chance of the former. I will teach DH how to change that setting should he take that computer out of the house.

Last edited:
I will teach DH how to change that setting should he take that computer out of the house.
Or, obviously, put any USB drive into the machine if it has ever been in another machine. (Sorry to add on, but just wanted to close the loop)

All the interdependent failure modes of our present personal IT systems are a PITA. We're at the stage now where the automobile was in 1915: You couldn't really operate a car to do anything practical unless you knew a lot about how it worked (how to adjust the carburetor, set the points, troubleshoot engine and transmission problems, change frequent flat tires, etc.). Today, you don't need to know any of that to operate a car. Someday our computers will just "work" without demanding that we know much about them. And before the Apple folks pile on--I think even the most rabid Apple fan would be surprised at the amount of stuff they have in their head that is needed to make things work.

Back
Top Bottom