Nexus 7, Original Nook, and Kindle Touch

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I bought the original Nook ($35), and the first Kindle Touch ($41) on eBay so that I can put drafts of my book on them, then lend them to friends or family for proofreading.

So, from the perspective of someone who has all three ...

The e-ink for the e-readers is surprisingly nice. I prefer it to my normal-display Nexus 7. There's something pleasing about it--I guess it feels more like a real book.

And, reading outside in direct sunlight is a pleasure.

Although the interface on the Nook is klunky, for just reading, I prefer it to the Kindle. Perhaps it's because it came with a super-nice leather cover, or because I can advance the pages by squeezing the bezel rather than by tapping the screen.

Reading on the Nexus is still good, and it's convenient to be able to use it in the dark, but there's something nice about the e-ink readers.

I had the original Kindle, and hated it.

Then I got a Kindle Paperwhite about a year and a half ago, and I love it. What a difference!

Did they fix the delay in the refresh for the kindle paperwhite? That always drove me crazy when I tried the original kindle.

The Paperwhite is on my "to-buy" list of Christmas presents for a friend. I love mine, I suppose the new ones are better!

I have the kindle Paperwhite as well. I use it frequently, especially on sleepless nights. The backlight is excellent and doesn't disturb my wife's sleep. The kindle Paperwhite is also excellent in the sunlight.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I use the original Nook since I prefer ePubs from my library and don't buy books. I also like the e-ink approach because of battery life and use in sunlight. For reading on a backlight screen indoors I think I would go for an iPad mini. DW got the newer e-ink Nook that has LED lighting along the bezel (like a Kindle Paperwhite, I believe). That is an excellent feature for reading at night.

Back
Top Bottom