What's your favorite drink?

Dash man

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I've found since I Fire'd that I've enjoyed trying different types of drinks than I used to. DW and I have been trying different wines, liqueurs, spirits and beers to see where our tastebuds lead us. My favorites so far are an Amici label Pinot Noir, Johnny Walker Black Scotch, and Grand Marnier liqueur. But there are many more to try. What are your favorites? Any exotic drinks worth trying as we travel?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Based on frequency of use, I'd have to say Diet Coke. As far as pure pleasure, any of the Islay single malts, the peatier the better. Also like a nice Sambuca.

I like Seagram's diet ginger ale, V-8, tomato juice and flavored seltzer waters. On the alcoholic front I enjoy a gin and tonic (Hendricks), a vodka martini (Grey Goose), and pinot noir wines (usually a CA). I used to love a good brut champagne but I don't quite see myself opening a whole bottle for personal consumption. I should consider getting a couple of bottles for later in the month, though, as I am playing hostess for several days to some out-of-town houseguests.

I was in Denver for Thanksgiving. Stopped in to Tipsy's for wine and beer for the occasion. Wow! 87,000 square feet for a liquor store. You could spend many a year sampling everything in that place even if you limited it to what looked interesting to you.

For myself, I pretty much limit my indulgence to premium beer that I can buy in cans. I live so far up in the mountains that glass bottles are a real pain to deal with.

I was in Denver for Thanksgiving. Stopped in to Tipsy's for wine and beer for the occasion. Wow! 87,000 square feet for a liquor store. You could spend many a year sampling everything in that place even if you limited it to what looked interesting to you.

For myself, I pretty much limit my indulgence to premium beer that I can buy in cans. I live so far up in the mountains that glass bottles are a real pain to deal with.

We go to a Total Wine store in Delaware that is amazing compared to the state stores here in PA. It's busier every Saturday than Walmart on Black Friday and it's tough to get out of there under $300.

When I'm thirsty, nothing beat a good glass of water. Brita filtered water seems to be the best water for me. For alcohol, I'll go with a Guinness, preferably from a tap in Ireland as the US taps are clearly not the same. And don't get me started on the bottled or canned versions. As for wine, I like the robust Napa Cabs. For spirits, I'll second the Johnny Black, but a red will do just fine.

Not retired, but we drink mostly red wine and beer. I like bourbon on the rocks, Makers Mark being my choice. I'll do the old rum and coke. But if I had to pick one drink for the rest of my life, it'd be red wine. We head to Paso Robles on the central coast every year and buy 4-6 cases from six or seven wineries enjoying all the tasting along the way. That, along with our wine clubs, gets us through the year drinking only wine we know we like instead of guessing. And we meet cool people up at the wineries, including a lot of winemakers, and at a better value than Napa or Sonoma.

If you ever get to Singapore, go to the Long Bar and try the original Singapore Sling. It's a must do there, even if the drink isn't spectacular. The bar is sweet.

If you travel to NOLA, Google the bicycling drinking tour. You try a bunch of different New Orleans beverages, not just the Hurricane, and have lunch over the course of about 4 hours while riding beach cruisers through the city. We did it in June one year, and it was a blast. Good historical city tour, and I tried at least four different drinks I'd never had.

A good cup of strong coffee, preferably freshly-ground organic beans, with a dash of 2% milk would be my #1. Decaf doesn't cut it with me, so I rarely drink coffee after 6 pm. I am discovering caffeine-free herbal teas as alternatives.

When out with friends and driving, my favourite drink would be a sparkling Perrier with a slice of lime. I have cut back on pop and fruit juice, having read how bad they are for you.

I am fortunate to live in a wine region which was recently voted #2 destination to visit by readers of USA Today. There are over 200 wineries within a couple of hours' drive, so there is no shortage of interesting vintages and pairings to try and they are improving constantly. The best ones never get very far from the vineyards. I like to buy local. At present I favour Pinot Grigio for white and Zweigelt for red but basically there are two types of wines: the wines I like and the wines I don't.

I used to love Yoohoo and eggnog (not mixed), but my dairy allergy has become far too sensitive for me to have either in years. Both of these rich beverages mixed great with spiced rum.

I still like spiced rum, my favorite being Anniversario Pampero. Best whisky I've had is 18yr Glenmorangie. A Hendricks G&T is wonderful on a summer day. And my favorite Rye is probably Russel's, which is heresy I suppose since I'm from Iowa and I even have high school friends who work for Templeton.

I don't drink much beer anymore except when eating out or at the bar with coworkers. I'll have a hoegaarden every couple of years because it's so different and refreshing.

I don't have a sophisticated palate when it comes to wine ($4 box wine tastes the same to me as $60 bottle wine), but I've never met a Shiraz, Zinfandel, or Gewurtztraminer that I hated, so I always just order the house version of one of those depending on the meal or social occasion.

Nash, I had my first(and only) Singapore Sling in Raffles Hotel in Singapore 40 years ago while on a trip with my father.

And, I have a very good friend who just bought a pied a terre in New Orleans (she lives most of the year in FL). She stayed with me for 5 days in October and was telling me all about her favorite haunts and encouraging me to visit. She is a Southern belle and very averse to exercise of any kind but she might be persuaded to bicycle if she could also imbibe. I'm joking here as we are two matrons whose tastes run to comfortable seating and air conditioning.

Absinthe, just be careful not to have a Van Gough experience(although there are other ear theories).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Honestly, water is my #1 go to drink. Nothing like a nice cold glass of tap water (ours tastes great).

#2 might be a dark coffee with a hint of sweetener and a moderate amount of cream (real half and half from a cow, not the powdered stuff). No particular brand, and I buy it already ground. Just enjoy the taste even if it's room temperature. 1x a day max or I don't sleep.

Hefeweizen or dunkelweizen for alcoholic brews. It's beer with a nice fruity taste and plenty of body. The dunkelweizens I've had were slightly more bitter than the hefeweizens. Trader joes has them for about a buck a bottle if you want to try them.

My tastes in wine and beer and more quotidian than my tastes in coffee, so I won't mention those.

Try a real Pisco Sour in Peru and then learn to make your own!

A beer drinker, myself, and eagerly awaiting a visit to my sister in Vermont where we will check out some of the many breweries and also sample from their stockpile of Heady Topper from the Alchemist Brewery, which is nigh on impossible to get.

Water is an ongoing favorite. Coffee with real cream if I want something hot.

As far as adult beverages are concerned: Wine, followed closely by the craft beers. My favorite mixed drink is the classic Negroni.

I don't drink alcoholic drinks but there are still plenty of the non-alcoholic variety that I like. (I know, I know, I live in New Orleans, home of Bourbon St., and I don't drink? How peculiar! :2funny:)

Anyway, I love cafe au lait late at night. It has so much caffeine that it will keep me up forever, but it's worth it sometimes. Also I like fruit smoothies on summer afternoons.

I drink tap water with a slice of lemon more than either of these, for health and weight loss reasons. Plus, it is cheaper.

Laphroaig in particular, but I like many single malts.

Favorite non-alcoholic beverage is tea (oolong in the summer, black in the winter).

Favorite alcoholic beverages: craft beers in the summer, single malt scotch whisky in the winter (+1 on Laphroaig), and wine year round.

Favorite non alcolohic drink is water and hot tea.
Love single malts

Non-alcoholic would be water all day and coffee in the morning. I enjoyed a mojito on holiday and tried to recreate it at home. For winter I plan to try a port or sherry. Cheers!

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1417754023.061996.jpg

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1417754056.269162.jpg

Coke/Pepsi and craft beers, preferably something from 3 Floyds or my jack Daniels/vanilla bean porter

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Pretty much of a redneck and up until my 24 birthday I had more Tequila in my system than blood. Much older now and not much for alcohol since. A few months ago I tried a cranberry Mikes hard lemon aide. Dang that stuff is good!

Every time my DW has her sisters over I make a large pitcher of red berry Sangria. It has a pretty good kick to it and tastes wonderful!

Sangria Recipe

1 cup peach brandy
1/2 cup lemon juice
2/3 cup frozen lemonade concentrate
2/3 cup orange juice
1 (1500 milliliter) bottle dry red wine
1 cup triple sec
2 lemons, sliced into rounds
2 oranges, sliced into rounds
2 limes, sliced into rounds
1/2 cup white sugar/splenda (optional)
16 maraschino cherries
Variety of raspberries, blackberries and blueberries.

DIRECTIONS

In a large pitcher or bowl, mix together the brandy, lemon juice, lemonade concentrate, orange juice, red wine, triple sec, and sugar. Float slices of lemon, orange and lime, and maraschino cherries in the mixture. Refrigerate overnight for best flavor. For a fizzy sangria, add club soda just before serving.

Mostly a water drinker, but DW and I are trying to convince ourselves that a glass of red wine at dinner every day will improve our memory. Last night we tried Block 012, a California full bodied blend, it was outstanding.

I am a Diet Coke-aholic, so that is my common drink. Actually been trying to cut back a bit and just water instead. Beer preferred alcohol drink, microbrews especially. Red wine only never white. Only real liquor I ever drink is tequila, as mixed into margaritas.

Back
Top Bottom