The Best Unusual gifts I have received or Given

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We have all at one time either recieved an unexpected unusual gift that was just outstanding, or given such a gift to another person. What is the best unusual gift you have ever given or received?

One of the best I have ever received was the Clapper (yes, that goofy device that turns things on and off with a clap of the hand). I use it at Christmas when the electrical outlet is buried behind the tree and packages. It make turning on the tree lights so easy!

Years ago, my daughter had friends over for a small party, and while I hung out in my bedroom I kept hearing these odd but different thumping noises. I seemed the young folks were trying different noises to see which ones could get a response from the clapper. What a hoot!

I once received a back scratcher with a metal hand on the end of a telescopic handle. That thing has been around now for about ten years and sits in a table drawer in our family room and gets used all the time. It's used either for our backs or to scratch our cat, who regularly begs for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I got an antique ride on fire truck from my SO . He got it for me because when we were talking about childhood toys I said I used to envy the boys for having ride on fire trucks and that was not considered a girls toy at the time so Christmas morning there it was under the tree . We have a ledge over the entrance that the fire truck resides on .

Attachments

• 3316349521.jpg
    3316349521.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 293
Certainly not the best but it was unusual. My wife's aunt once gave me a can of soup for my birthday all wrapped up in a nice box.:confused:

Last edited:
I lived in Monterey CA in another lifetime (or so it seems now), and I attended a benefit auction for my son's school and bid on a race car driving course held at the Laguna Seca Racetrack as a Christmas gift for my husband. He was a car enthusiast so he found the school and the driving a blast and said it was the best Christmas present he ever had.

Last edited:
Best gift I was given, was to be given away for adoption.
I didn't realize how wonderful it was until 50 some years later I phoned my birth mother. Had a nice chat.
When I hung up, I realized had I stayed, I would have been extremely lucky to finish high school, probably worked pumping gas, or cutting trees, and be able to walk from one end of town to the other in 10 minutes.
Instead, my life has been so full of love, education, and wonderful opportunities thanks to my adoptive parents (who were not rich).

I once received a back scratcher with a metal hand on the end of a telescopic handle. That thing has been around now for about ten years and sits in a table drawer in our family room and gets used all the time. It's used either for our backs or to scratch our cat, who regularly begs for it.

I bought one of these at the dollar store recently. I think it cost $2. It's invaluable.

Attachments

• IMG_2064.JPG
    IMG_2064.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 21
Best gift I was given, was to be given away for adoption.
I didn't realize how wonderful it was until 50 some years later I phoned my birth mother. Had a nice chat.
When I hung up, I realized had I stayed, I would have been extremely lucky to finish high school, probably worked pumping gas, or cutting trees, and be able to walk from one end of town to the other in 10 minutes.
Instead, my life has been so full of love, education, and wonderful opportunities thanks to my adoptive parents (who were not rich).

What a poignant gift that was! I'm sure your birth mother loved you dearly and was devastated to give you up. She probably didn't have a lot of options in those days. Your adoptive parents gave you a wonderful gift too. So you are doubly lucky!

I gave my parents a hot air balloon ride gift certificate for Christmas one year. They really enjoyed it and made a scrape book out of photos and memorabilia.

The first thing that came to mind was one Christmas I gave my husband tickets for us to take a guided tour to see the elephant seals with their pups on the sand dunes at Ano Nuevo state park. We'd never been there before and elephant seals aren't something we see very often.

I got an antique ride on fire truck from my SO . He got it for me because when we were talking about childhood toys I said I used to envy the boys for having ride on fire trucks and that was not considered a girls toy at the time so Christmas morning there it was under the tree . We have a ledge over the entrance that the fire truck resides on .

That is pretty cool. My wife had always wanted a Lincoln Log set when she
was little so I got her a set early on in our marriage. 35 years later she plays it with our grand kids when they come over.

One Christmas as a child, my uncle gave me a set of 1920s Lionel trains that had belonged to my Dad. Not sure how my uncle ended up with them, but that was a totally unexpected and wonderful present.

The last few 50 (and 60) yo birthday parties I gave the edition of Life magazine from the day they were born.

Lots of "wows" from the crowd. Everyone enjoyed flipping thru the magazine.

I gave my parents a hot air balloon ride gift certificate for Christmas one year. They really enjoyed it and made a scrape book out of photos and memorabilia.

How great is that! You're very thoughtful.

DW arranged a hot air balloon ride for our 30th wedding anniversary. What a treat that was. Cows, deer, bobcats, and wild turkeys, none of them seemed to enjoy it as much as we did.

It's an experience I hope to remember the rest of my life. The views and perspective were amazing! Didn't hurt that DW had planned our trip to depart from the front of our property!

I should mention that great gift more often to her.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Unusual, but not unheard of: Flight in a B-17 bomber. I've been in many bombers throughout my life.

I bought one of these at the dollar store recently. I think it cost $2. It's invaluable.

I see your metal backscratcher and raise you a deer antler backscratcher :LOL:

Attachments

• IMG_1082.jpg
    IMG_1082.jpg
    526.3 KB · Views: 13
DW loves old cars, in particular 1955 T-Birds. For our anniversary a few years ago I rented a powder blue 55 T-Bird for the day. Drove out route 66 for several hours, top down, enjoying the scenery. Stopped for lunch, drove some more, had dinner at our favorite restaurant, and then home. A very enjoyable day. The best part was driving a 50 year old car cured DW of wanting to own one (almost).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I gave my sister a cord of firewood one year for Christmas and they loved it! Weird gift, but much appreciated.

I got a pony for my 7th birthday, which is surely the best gift in the whole world for a horse-crazed girl. :)

A garbage can, an ironing board, Dawn dishwasher soap, Clorox, a vacuum cleaner...

When I got them for Christmas my Junior/Senior year of college I thought it was very odd. But after graduating and starting out on my own, it was great not having to spend my first few paychecks on basic cleaning supplies :)

My husband gave me a large vise and tree stump for forming metal one Christmas. He knows what I like!

DD and DS decided to give me "unusual food" for my birthday this year, I think in homage to my addiction to the TV show "Chopped".

DS ordered an emu egg from a ranch in New Mexico. He liked the look of the shell.
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1417999070.191087.jpg

DD sent me a package of black (fermented) garlic.

So I found a recipe for emu egg quiche and added black garlic to the onion / leek / mushroom filling. It was quite tasty!
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1417999101.426859.jpg

I still have quite a bit of the black garlic to use.

Back
Top Bottom