Is FIRECalc Producing Better Results?

nico08

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi. My net worth has not changed dramatically between 8/14 and now. However, I am currently getting 100% success rate on my retirement plan, whereas in 8/14, when I ran similar numbers, the results were not as successful.

So has FIRECalc been updated to account for 2014 stock and bond returns, and that is what is giving me the better result?

I checked, and except for changing variables related to time (the time between 8/14 and today), I have not made any other changes.

What do you think?

FIRECalc hasn't been updated yet, so I suspect you may not be using exactly the same numbers as you were in August. Did you use the same time period? What was the success rate you got then vs the 100% you're getting now?

Hi REWahoo. I kept my life expectancy the same. The earlier success rate was about 82%. I did alter the way I account for my fixed mortgage, but that should not have affected the success rate as much as it seemingly has.

Due to my proclivity for repetitive behavior, when I have a spare minute or two, I often go to Firecalc and enter my figures. I've been doing this for a few years now, and it gives me roughly the same set of answers every time. As REW said, it sounds as if you have entered different data this time.

I've made the mistake of sometimes using the default fixed income allocations and other times using the 5yr instead. Always gets me ;)

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom