can't move from win 8 to 8.1

GrayHare

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Trying to upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1 without success... Windows 8 showed me a tile promoting the free upgrade to 8.1, but choosing it merely takes me to the Microsoft Store where there are 1000s of titles, none of which is 8.1, nor any way to search for the upgrade. Looking online I see this is a common problem dating back months.

Microsoft recommended a Win 8 update, and Store refresh, which I did but neither of which solved the problem. The only workaround I could find is one involving a complex series of steps that include interrupting a sequence of downloads at just the right moment. That sounds very error prone. Anyone have a better solution?

I can't recommend a better solution. But do recommend if you haven't already, make a image of your hard drive as those upgrades can go kaput.

I just bought a used Win 7 laptop (from Ebay) but after trying a Windows update, I got a message about Startup Repair running, then the computer not repairable.

Luckily, the first thing I did after getting the laptop was make an image of the hard drive. Thus, I returned the laptop back to the shape it was when received.

If you are lucky enough , Microsoft has a few Brick and Retail stores in some metro areas now. Good one to drop the machine on the counter and ask why it will not upgrade , without having to hire a local geek. The buck has to stop somewhere.

The update from 8.0 to 8.1 should appear first thing in the windows store. Here's a link on what to check if it doesn't

Why can't I find the update in the Store? - Windows Help

Yup, as mentioned previously, I did those Microsoft-recommended steps but the 8.1 upgrade still does not appear in the Store. I see online many people have been reporting the same trouble for the better part of a year, with no solution available other than to buy 8.1 and start from scratch.

From that support article, I think you need to check how Windows 8.0 was installed, and specific version you have (Enterprise, etc.).
Windows 8 Enterprise. Talk to your system admin about updating to Windows 8.1.

Windows 8 Pro, if installed by an organization or a program that uses Volume Licensing. Talk to your system admin, or the administrator of the program that was used to install Windows 8. If you’re the administrator, you can find more info and links to Windows 8.1 ISOs in the Windows 8.1 Enterprise Evaluation.

Windows 8 Pro, if installed using an MSDN or TechNet ISO, and activated using Multiple Activation Keys. You might be able to download a Windows 8.1 ISO from MSDN or TechNet.

Windows 8.1 Preview or Windows RT 8.1 Preview. You might still be able to update from the Store. For more info, see Update from Windows 8.1 Preview to Windows 8.1.

Found the solution: removed and reinstalled the tablet's battery. That appears to have forced a cold reboot, and upon restart Windows 8.1 was running. Nothing told me the upgrade from 8.0 had been performed, but 8.1 is now the listed operating system. Very strange. Maybe if I do similar with my old Microsoft car, suddenly a new one will appear in my driveway.

Back
Top Bottom