iphone contract or buy outright

Bigfish

Dryer sheet wannabe
DW Android bit the dust and she would like an iPhone should we buy it out right on with a contract? We live in Maine who provides the best service and what is the most reasonable plan? She uses less than 200 minutes a month, texts some, takes pictures, and uses the internet to check her mail. Suggestions?
Thank You
BF

I check previous threads and could not find the answers.

Buy outright and use prepaid. That's gonna save you a lot of money long term. How much data does your DW use per month?

Please excuse me for my not understanding when she purchases he iPhone how and where does she buy prepaid? Is that a card and can she text, use the internet and take pictures? We are currently with Verizon.
Thanks
BF

TMobile doesn't have "contracts" anymore - you can pay for your phone upfront or in 24 monthly installments. Of course, if you opt for installments and leave before you've paid the phone off, you have to come up with the balance. Although TMobile may not have the best network, they do have some useful features: wifi calling that you can use anywhere where there's wifi - even abroad for calling home free in many cases. Also, if you go to Canada, you get free 3G data over the Rogers network I believe. I know the Samsung phones have these features and I'm sure the later iPhones do too.

T-Mobile will let you pay retail price for your iPhone, but pay over a period without a contract. If you close your account you just pay the outstanding balance on your iPhone.

I see Ian_S already posted.

We've switched from Verizon to T-mobile on one iPhone mainly because their wifi calling works well at the house, plus we love their international coverage. It's also $10 cheaper per month. We'll probably switch a second to that plan when a smaller iPhone 6 becomes available.

Last edited:
+1 for t-mobile.

We went with them a couple of years ago and are doing the no contract monthly iPhone payments. We also pay $100/month for 4 phones (service only). If you need a family plan, this is one of the best deals available.

And as Audrey mentioned, their international roaming is a wonderful bonus. We travel out of the country at least once a year and not having to figure out local SIM cards, roaming costs, etc, is a big plus.

I've been pondering switching to T-Mobile. We've had ATT service and I rarely don't have service. T-Mobile's coverage seems skimpy, especially in rural areas. Does anyone have any experience with that?

I did a $180 5c off eBay and use it on Ting. Ting uses either Sprint or T Mobile depending on the phone.

Or just buy the phone from Ting as well

Phil

I've been pondering switching to T-Mobile. We've had ATT service and I rarely don't have service. T-Mobile's coverage seems skimpy, especially in rural areas. Does anyone have any experience with that?

We have poor coverage at our house from all carriers where we live in TX. Closer to town - no problem. The T-mobile wifi calling with iPhone6, which works seamlessly with our home internet set up and required no special equipment, solved our home connectivity problem.

Out in the nearby parks we're usually OK with the signals. It's once we are in the neighborhood, inside the house, that the signal is too week. We noticed a big drop in the Verzon signal strength over the past two years, and I think it's a combination of more buildings in our neighborhood and Verizon redirecting their antennas a bit.

Last edited:
I think all the carriers have issues with coverage depending on location. In many cases, it seems coverage changes with time as well. Probably the best thing if possible is to have a friend with the carrier you're interested in demonstrate how their reception is at your location. That said, the seamless wifi calling on TMobile is a real plus but be aware that unless you have a phone designated for TMobile use, wifi calling may not be supported. And their wifi support for iPhone IIRC is only for recent ones. Probably because TMobile was fairly late to the iPhone party.

The general prepaid forum on howard forums is a good place for ideas. There are many MVNOs that could save you money. But be careful about coverage in Maine.

Back
Top Bottom