SSA makes mistakes

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
When I filed for SS at age 70 last November (and DW as spouse) I advised SSA that their numbers for DW seemed to differ from my calculations. While I waited they did a quick recalculation and the lady said that she found a possible error in their calculations of DWs SS payment, but it was not as large as I suggested. She said that they would resubmit it and see if an adjustment could be made. "Sure you will blah, blah blah" says I.

On 6/30/2015 I received an unsolicited deposit to my checking account from SSA. A few days later DW received a letter from SSA advising that they had located an error in their calculations of her monthly amount and were making an adjustment back to December.

Even small victories over SSA are good victories.

Lesson learned: If your own SS calculations do not agree with SSA, stand up for your calculations (your work) and ask for a recheck.

A quick guess would be that this may be a Recomputation due to earnings in 2014? They are *usually* done automatically but sometimes it does get overlooked. No real victory in the terms of adversarial positions, but Good on you for being educated. Knowledge is power. You are your own best advocate. Like I always say, no one cares about your situation more than you!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

A quick guess would be that this may be a Recomputation due to earnings in
2014? They are *usually* done automatically but sometimes it does get
overlooked.

No it had to due with DWs GPO adjustment and the fact that she was transitioning from own SS to spouse SS and all of the adjustments that all of that requires.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom