RIP Andy Grove

NW-Bound

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Andy Grove, one of the founders of Intel, dies today 3/21/2016 at the age of 79.

I read his book "Only the Paranoid Survive" some years ago. Andy Grove is highly respected in Silicon Valley, and I just learned the following tidbit.

When Steve Jobs and Larry Ellison told Andy Grove he was the only person in Silicon Valley who they would willingly work for, he told them he wouldn’t have hired either because they were “a couple of flakes.”

He was at least half serious and didn’t crack a smile.

More about his life here: Andy Grove, Who Taught Silicon Valley How to Do Business, Dies - Bloomberg Business.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have retired at 39 if it wasn't for this Hungarian refugee.

It was one of the great privileges of my life to spend 1/2 dozen year in a cubicle within 50' of Andy's identical cubicle. Reading my Intel co-workers tributes on Facebook today, I realize that had a profound impact on many of us, beyond making many of us young millionaires.

I will miss him.

Time magazine has opened up the archives and released their Time Man of the Year 1997 archives when Andy Grove was named Man of the Year, It is long but worth reading

Last edited:
Back in the 70s, I was a semiconductor commodity manager for a major global firm. Intel was the most difficult of my suppliers to do business with, even for products that were pure commodities. There were many colorful industry titans back in the early days of this industry, and certainly Grove, Moore and Noyce were among the most notable.

One of my brothers worked at Intel and told me the story of Andy Grove having a cubicle just like ordinary worker. I also remember reading about his background in the Time article below.

...Time magazine has opened up the archives and released their Time Man of the Year 1997 archives when Andy Grove was named Man of the Year, It is long but worth reading

Fascinating life. From escaping the [-]Nazis[/-] communists (he was hidden from the Nazi's as child) to ushering in the age of the microprocessor.

If anyone is interested in more detail, this book

Intel Trinity,The: How Robert Noyce, Gordon Moore, and Andy Grove Built the World's Most Important Company

is an excellent history of how Intel (and Silicon Valley in general) came to be.

I just put a reserve on this book at the local library. Thanks.

The Time magazine article was very interesting. What a life, Mr. Grove, had.

Clifp I can not imagine working with someone like him for 6 years. What an experience. I am sorry for your loss.

It was my absolute privilege to have met Andy Grove early on in my career and then to spend a couple of decades at the company which he co-founded. What an inspiring and hard driving leader ! His intensity was second to none.

Truly a Titan in technology! Condolences.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom