Stock Picking (Beat Boho) Contest - V2.0

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Stock and ETF Investors show us your stuff ...

This is the thread for the "Beat Boho" stock picking contest.

To sign up to play (or be a spectator and view leaderboard anytime), register at Investopedia Stock Simulator

Once registered, sign in and join contest "Beat Boho".

General items:

- starting balance is $1 Million
- contest ends March 29, 2020
- stock and ETFs only (no funds)
- see attachment for more specific rules

Have fun participating and watching!

Note: Only virtual dollars used. Nothing on the line except your ego and bragging rights :).

Attachments

• beat boho II rules.jpg
    beat boho II rules.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 184
There's already a registered user named Boho. I'm registered as BohoII.

"Rankings are not computed until the end of the first day the game runs. Please check back after March 29, 2017." Hopefully there won't be a Boho imposter in this contest. I guess I'll be able to see the player names after midnight.

I'll be passing on this one.

Like Boho, I cannot commit to being around at the end of 3 years. Heck, I may not even be part of this world by then :blush:.

It could be fun, but practical value is not there for me.

Hope you guys & gals enjoy yourselves. :greetings10:

I'll be passing on this one.

Like Boho, I cannot commit to being around at the end of 3 years. Heck, I may not even be part of this world by then :blush:.

It could be fun, but practical value is not there for me.

Hope you guys & gals enjoy yourselves. :greetings10:

No prob. If you decide to join later, feel free to as there is no cut off.

Competition or not, I'm actually looking to see how my virtual portfolio will do in 3 years from now as not every day I have $1 MIL to place however I want :).

It's a lot of w*rk dealing with my real life millions, let alone some virtual million. Thanks, but no thanks. Good luck to all.

Looks like a much better interface indeed. Just signed up - with Totoro_ERF since Totoro apparently was already taken as user name. Go figure.

Edit: .. too bad this one also suffers from lack of available stocks. My favorite Top-3 I can't buy :(

Last edited:
Will those of us that are just observers be able to see the individual trades being made?

Not yet, though it seems possible:

Login | Investopedia

• Allow Trade History Viewing: No
  • Allow Portfolio Viewing: No
Easysurfer can hopefully change the settings.

Will those of us that are just observers be able to see the individual trades being made?

No. The only way to really be an observer is to sign up as a player and not trade. There's a setting in the game rules to view history or not and I selected "no" as figure that'll be like peeking at an opponent's poker hand.

The leader board shows who's up and down and their portfolio values.

As you can see, we are loading into the starting gate at this time :).

Attachments

• starting gate.jpg
    starting gate.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 88
Not yet, though it seems possible:

Login | Investopedia

• Allow Trade History Viewing: No
  • Allow Portfolio Viewing: No
Easysurfer can hopefully change the settings.

Is that what the contestants really want? To peek at each others' trades and strategies?

Is that what the contestants really want? To peek at each others' trades and strategies?
Well, doesn't that help make it educational? Isn't making this a learning opportunity one of the objectives?
Remember when I started the contest thread, I said this should be a fun and educational experience?

I'm in as nunnun with VTI.....and I'm done for the year.

Well, doesn't that help make it educational? Isn't making this a learning opportunity one of the objectives?

One of the objectives. The others are winning and bragging rights :LOL:.

I personally agree that it would be educational and add fun to the challenge.

I can make the setting change (if we want) on the condition after the contest, I don't want folks saying that they didn't win because others saw their trades and portfolios during the contest :(.

But before any change, how about we let Boho give his opinion? Especially, since he is the main actor in this play.

Last edited:
I'm just doing these contests with something I wouldn't do normally - picking stocks.

"Currently, a maximum of 2 shares can be traded due to the game's volume rule."
Um, OK, but I wanted 4,000? This is not a thinly traded stock! I'm afraid Investopia's volume information is completely wrong.

Edit: 20 minutes later, I could buy my desired quantity. Maybe it is just an issue when the market opens.

Last edited:
But before any change, how about we let Boho give his opinion? Especially, since he is the main actor in this play.

I'm neutral on that. I'd go with whatever the default is or whatever the players want.

Upon Furher Review ...

Seems like we are in agreement to have open viewing or neutral, so I made the change.

Actually the default is to have the trading history and portfolio open for viewing.

What was I thinking? That the needs of the one or few outweigh the many :LOL:.

Upon further thought ... folks really aren't competing against one another (like in chess or tennis where an opponent's move directly influences a competitor). This is more like track or swim meet.

Have fun!

Last edited:
For me it's about how well I do compared to a real world benchmark. If everyone looks at each other's trades and trades in weird ways, that just means that I won't care what their results are. As long I know I'm better than one of those index funds. And the more better, the better.

I do not know if this is possible, but to allow viewing of trades 1 or 2 weeks late would be sufficient to:

1) let the public know what each contestant did, and 2) let the winning hand keep some advantages.

I do not know if this is possible, but to allow viewing of trades 1 or 2 weeks late would be sufficient to:

1) let the public know what each contestant did, and 2) let the winning hand keep some advantages.

I don't see such a setting. But I think the peeking at another's hand is more imaginary than real anyhow and won't worry about it anymore.

Imitation is the best form of flattery :).

"Currently, a maximum of 2 shares can be traded due to the game's volume rule."
Um, OK, but I wanted 4,000? This is not a thinly traded stock! I'm afraid Investopia's volume information is completely wrong.

Edit: 20 minutes later, I could buy my desired quantity. Maybe it is just an issue when the market opens.

Looks like the 20 minute market delay?

Thanks Nun. You can be our baseline again.

I ran into the "diversification rule" so I could only buy $500k of VTI.....I just bought VOO with my remaining $500k.

Back
Top Bottom