Got my first senior citizen discount

Blue Collar Guy

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I go with the bride to the supermarket, pick up some cake and pie thats on sale. the cashier tells the bride $7.98, my bride says"my father is paying", i hand the girl 10 bucks, she gives me my change. i look at the receipt because i think im supposed to get 2.02 back. at the bottom of the receipt is says senior citizen discount - 5%. IN bold letters it says savings $. 39 cents.:dance:, we had a huge laugh over her referring to me as her father, made my day. i told the bride we always going to shop here on mondays, she said no we arent we shop we we want something, im not waiting for monday to save 37 cents, i corrected her that it was 39 . then i gave her a big smooch and i carried home the bag. now i wonder how much and when senior citizen discount day at the movies are.

Last edited:
Love it.

I just found out I'll save a smidge on our planned Catalina Island trip later this summer. The ferry has a discount for 55+. Yay!

I can't stand SR discounts. It's the young who need $ more than SRs & these discounts in effect take from them. I shun AARP.

Love it.

I just found out I'll save a smidge on our planned Catalina Island trip later this summer. The ferry has a discount for 55+. Yay!

I just got my first major senior discount today! DH & I are in St. Thomas (USVI). We decided after 4 weeks in the USVI & BVI, we needed to join a local gym. Researched the options and learned that University of the Virgin Islands has a pretty nice facility that anyone over 55 can join for only $25/month with no initial fees. The other health clubs were at least $75/month. Signed up today and had a great workout! Maybe we won't have to give up Painkillers while we're here. [emoji484]

I can't stand SR discounts. It's the young who need $ more than SRs & these discounts in effect take from them. I shun AARP.

You threw a wet towel on my somewhat happy event. I appreciate your input. It was enlightening to see another point of view. I took .39 cents from a starving child.

I take a class at the community center. I can save $20 on the class fee once I turn 55. Looking forward to it :)

I never got any as a young starving man child, so gosh darn it, I'm getting it now.

All those young folks will get it as well when they get older, so they are not missing anything.

Mr. A. occasionally calls me his "bride," because he knows I hate it.

-1 You're making me rethink taking SS and Medicare now!

But my first senior discount was a Deer Valley Ski Resort. Saved $20 on a lift ticket. At $120 a day no one there (young or old) needs the money.

A really nice way of saying "Thank you for contributing to society for so long." :cool:

When I hit 70, I discovered that I could get a season pass at a ski resort for the cost of just a few days regular lift tickets, and there are some places that let you ski free at that age. Not surprisingly, I see plenty of people my age on the slopes.

That might make sense if we were talking about a zero-sum game. We're not.

That might make sense if we were talking about a zero-sum game. We're not.

Right.

And maybe we can get back on track on what should be a fun thread discussion (?)

I'll take my senior discount! I get .30 off at Dunks on a cuppa!!

I always ask the for the discount at golf courses. Some out of state courses (like some in Indiana/Michigan) give discounts at 55.

Just decline to take the discount - I doubt they'll force you to take it. To each their own

I always ask the for the discount at golf courses. Some out of state courses (like some in Indiana/Michigan) give discounts at 55.

It varies around here...some courses offer it at 50, some at 55, and some at 60. My first ever senior discount was at age 51 on a golf course.

I can't argue with that. But, if we turn down the discounts, that still does nothing for a younger person.

May I suggest the next time it happens take the discount and give the money to some parent so he/she can buy their kid an ice cream cone. Or put it towards a donation to a college scholarship program, etc. etc. etc.

I've asked for the senior discount a few times but am quite miffed when they don't ask for ID to confirm it.

I guess that's slightly better than them giving it to you without you having to ask... :LOL:

Very enlightening. I thought it started at 60. I'm 59. I have been missing bargains for 4 years!

I've asked for the senior discount a few times but am quite miffed when they don't ask for ID to confirm it.

Why? It's a lot more work for someone to check and do the math (and become an enforcer) rather than look at you and decide "close enough". It's not like there is a law that might be broken.

I don't like the idea of senior discounts either, because even though there are plenty of poor seniors, as a group, people over 50 are much better off financially than younger folks.

But I take my discount anyway. Probably because I feel like it's my turn now - been waiting all this time, you know.

The discount starting age is sometimes 55, but many places it's 60, or 62, or 65.

Back
Top Bottom