Suggestions before Med Cruise from Barcelona

Sunset

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicag
Next Spring we are taking a Mediterranean cruise from Barcelona, and then a back to back transatlantic return trip to NY. :)

At first I thought, we could fly into Barcelona a week ahead of the cruise to see Barcelona, but I thought maybe I'm missing something better and you worldly travelers could suggest a better alternative.

I suspect flying into some other city, for a few days, then train to .... and end up at Barcelona ?

I'm willing to fly over up to around 10 days prior to the cruise.

Any suggestions for our trip ?

There is tons to do in and near Barcelona. Spending a week there is well worth it.

One week in Barcelona will be just right imo.
Public transport is good, even to and from airport.
We have stayed last year at H10cubic, great place but make sure that you get a room with real outside window.

Another vote for a week in Barcelona. Been there, done that and want to do it again :)

And yet another vote to base yourself in Barcelona pre-cruise. Get Rick Steves' Barcelona travel book, and it will not only help you plan our your time there, but suggest easy side trips.

For a different vibe, Southern Spain (the Andalucia region) might be worth a visit. Smaller towns than Barcelona with a more varied history (don't think Moors/Muslims made there way all the way up to Barcelona whereas they controlled S. Spain for 700 years). Different architecture, different feel. The weather will be perfect in the April/early May timeframe you'll likely be there (it gets hot in S Spain around June-August, similar to southeastern US). Barcelona might still be chilly??

However you'll likely visit Malaga (coastal town in Andalucia) on your cruise so you might get a taste of Andalucia like it or not! :)

In a month, we're heading to Andalucia for a week and a half as part of our big 9 week vacation in Europe. We opted to skip the bigger Spanish cities of Madrid and Barcelona to see something different in Andalucia. We're doing 2 days in Malaga (where our flight from Portugal lands - basically a stopover :) ), 3 days in Granada (El Alhambra!!), and 4 days in Seville.

I checked Seville to Barcelona and there's an 11 hour train connection for €25/person or a 1.5 hr flight on Ryanair for €20 (plus another €25-50 for checked bags probably :) ).

Disclosure: I've never been to Europe before.

I just returned from five days in Barcelona post TA cruise. Barcelona was chilly in the morning and then it warms up . We did not need jackets only a long sleeved top and a scarf.Monseratt is a must do .We did use Rick Steve's book and his restaurant recommendations were spot on . There is so much to see and do in Barcelona that a week will fly by. Just visting the Sagrada Familia takes half a day to really see and appreciate it .

For a different vibe, Southern Spain (the Andalucia region) might be worth a visit. Smaller towns than Barcelona with a more varied history (don't think Moors/Muslims made there way all the way up to Barcelona whereas they controlled S. Spain for 700 years). Different architecture, different feel. The weather will be perfect in the April/early May timeframe you'll likely be there (it gets hot in S Spain around June-August, similar to southeastern US). Barcelona might still be chilly??

However you'll likely visit Malaga (coastal town in Andalucia) on your cruise so you might get a taste of Andalucia like it or not! :)

In a month, we're heading to Andalucia for a week and a half as part of our big 9 week vacation in Europe. We opted to skip the bigger Spanish cities of Madrid and Barcelona to see something different in Andalucia. We're doing 2 days in Malaga (where our flight from Portugal lands - basically a stopover :) ), 3 days in Granada (El Alhambra!!), and 4 days in Seville.

I checked Seville to Barcelona and there's an 11 hour train connection for €25/person or a 1.5 hr flight on Ryanair for €20 (plus another €25-50 for checked bags probably :) ).

Disclosure: I've never been to Europe before.

I checked and there is a fast train from Seville to Barcelona that takes just 5.5 hours, and looks pretty comfy. We would have a large bag and a carryon each, so even at $99 ea. the train is probably cheaper than flying.

This made me think, how are you getting around Europe on your trip ? Did you post your trip plans already ?

Which airport is closer to Andalucia? I'm going to be fly in from London.

Last edited:
And yet another vote to base yourself in Barcelona pre-cruise. Get Rick Steves' Barcelona travel book, and it will not only help you plan our your time there, but suggest easy side trips.

I do have Rick's book, and I do seem to remember that he said 3 days was all you needed to see Barcelona.
Which means side trips would be needed to fill in other days.

Which airport is closer to Andalusia? I'm going to be fly in from London.

Seville and Malaga both have airports. SVQ and AGP I think. Granada also has an airport but not sure how big or how many flights they have. We're flying into Malaga from Lisbon on a propellor plane (might be holding livestock on my lap lol). Seville to Milan on a regular jet on Ryanair.

Bus service is pretty comprehensive down there. Alsa seems to be the carrier of choice (or it was for us anyway). Advance purchase tix around €5/person for 2-3 hr bus ride.

I just returned from five days in Barcelona post TA cruise. Barcelona was chilly in the morning and then it warms up . We did not need jackets only a long sleeved top and a scarf.Monseratt is a must do .We did use Rick Steve's book and his restaurant recommendations were spot on . There is so much to see and do in Barcelona that a week will fly by. Just visting the Sagrada Familia takes half a day to really see and appreciate it .

Did you need to book in advance for the Sagrada Familia ?

What about hotel recommendations, I'm hoping for something $100/night or less but safe, does not have to be fancy.

There are countless opportunities for travel is Spain.

You may also want to look at flying into Rome, Paris, or some other city. Spend a few days there, and than grab a flight to Barcelona and spend some time there.

Did you need to book in advance for the Sagrada Familia ?

What about hotel recommendations, I'm hoping for something $100/night or less but safe, does not have to be fancy.

Rick Steve's book said three days but that is with every minute crammed full .You will want some time to just sip wine in a sidewalk cafe . Wine is 2 euros. Book Sagrada Familia ahead of time or you will be waiting forever .There are tons of Hotels in Barcelona but for $100 or less you may need to look at air B&B's.

I checked and there is a fast train from Seville to Barcelona that takes just 5.5 hours, and looks pretty comfy. We would have a large bag and a carryon each, so even at $99 ea. the train is probably cheaper than flying.

This made me think, how are you getting around Europe on your trip ? Did you post your trip plans already ?

Check the low cost carriers Ryanair and Easyjet as they pretty often offer fares of €10-30 but checked bags are about the cost of a whole ticket. Of course the train stations are usually easier to deal with than airports since they are more centrally located and you can show up a few minutes before your departure (sometimes 30+ minutes or more required if it's an international high speed train or a sleeper train). Airport seems to be 2+ hours ahead of time to board the plane. 5.5h on a train is probably the same total travel time as 2+ hrs waiting at the airport, 1.5 hr flight, and a pair of airport shuttles, so for me it would come down to cost and whether I wanted to pay more for the experience of watching the scenery go by at ground elevation vs. in the air.

Within Europe, we're visiting at least 8 countries and staying in 14 different cities. Between cities, we're flying on 2 segments, taking the bus on 4 segments, train on 5 segments, and one way rental car on 2 segments. Basically whatever provided the best combo of cost, convenience, schedule, and scenery.

Surprisingly, cost was probably the least relevant consideration since with advance purchase tickets, costs are incredibly tiny for our family. We paid $190 for the five Seville to Milan air tickets, otherwise paid $30-80 total for all other tickets including some all-day first class train travel that includes a nice 3 hour stopover in Cologne for some downtown touring. On several occasions we paid a little extra for a much faster method of transport or a more convenient departure/arrival time.

I have a detailed article on my blog from a couple months ago outlining all travel plans and costs for the nine weeks (can't link here due to forum rules against self promotion; link to blog is in my profile however).

Edit: forgot to mention the option to go to Morocco. Ryanair had some dirt cheap flights (I think from Seville, but check from Barcelona) to Morocco. Maybe $10-20 each way. We almost went for that but didn't want to overschedule ourselves this time around. Something I would definitely do if the stars align later on.

I love Spain. We usually tag onto the end of a cruise instead of doing the Transatlantic because that ocean crossing isn't within our plans yet.

A couple of thoughts...

As others have mentioned, low cost carriers have opened the range of affordable hops in Europe. In addition to the usual suspects Ryanair and Easyjet, check out Vueling which is the Spanish LCC. We flew on them from Rome to Barcelona post one of our cruises and they're not bad even though they were delayed.

If you want to stick with trains, I think the furthest I'd go is Paris. We went from Barcelona to Paris once and that was a long day (which was compounded by various issues).

Prior to our Eastern Med cruise last year, we were tossing around another trip to Spain but with a focus on the food mecca of San Sebastian.

Keep an eye out for general and transportation strikes that can mess up your plans.
Watch out for pick pockets.

Last year we spent 9 days in Barcelona following a transatlantic cruise. Plenty to see and do. We did take a side trip to Montserrat and wineries. I don't think a week is too long. Check out airbnb based on your budget.

I have British Airline Avios to fly free and first class among European cities. The best part is no tax as long as you don't go through London.

Last year we spent 9 days in Barcelona following a transatlantic cruise. Plenty to see and do. We did take a side trip to Montserrat and wineries. I don't think a week is too long. Check out airbnb based on your budget.

I did check out airbnb base on your comment, and comment of others above, actually went to Fuego's blog and read on his airbnb adventure (Quebec City).

Then I looked for a random day and found some very high rated ones with over 300 reviews, and the prices were in the $25->$40 range which is a lot cheaper than some nice hotels at over $200.

We will definitely go to Montserrat as a day trip.

I do have Rick's book, and I do seem to remember that he said 3 days was all you needed to see Barcelona.

That honestly would be a rush/whirlwind. And there are some nice side trips - seeing Montserrat, visiting nearby wineries - the area specializes in cava - Spanish sparkling wine. You can visit Figueros, and some other nearby historic cities or coastal towns, even Tarragona. Lots of day trip options. And even things like cooking classes.

We didn't try to visit Andalusia from Barcelona - too far. We plan to spend several weeks exploring that region next year.

We spent 6 nights in Barcelona last year and we were very busy!!!

I did check out airbnb base on your comment, and comment of others above, actually went to Fuego's blog and read on his airbnb adventure (Quebec City).

Then I looked for a random day and found some very high rated ones with over 300 reviews, and the prices were in the $25->$40 range which is a lot cheaper than some nice hotels at over $200.

We will definitely go to Montserrat as a day trip.

Good to hear. :) Yes, avoid the bottom of the barrel places like I booked in Quebec City. :) Lesson learned - go cheap but not all the way to the bottom.

We booked 64 nights in Europe at an average of $82/nt and we're staying in almost exclusively 5-star rated (a few are 4.5 stars). Mostly 2 BR, some 3 BR, and one might be 1 BR w/ sleeper sofa if we're there just a couple nights. To get this level of space, luxury and accommodations for the five of us at hotels would easily cost 3-4x what we're paying.

If you want privacy, set the search limits to "whole house/apartment" so you won't just be renting a room in a house. Then you get the whole kitchen, living room, and bedroom (assuming a 1 BR+) to yourself and don't have to tiptoe around. I find "whole house" rentals cost a small premium but it's still way cheaper than hotel rates (which usually come without a living room and kitchen).

Any hint of uncleanliness in the reviews and I skip it and move to the next one - too many fish in the sea to settle for somewhat dirty (unless you're on an extremely tiny budget). I also look for non-smoking and "no pets" but don't include those as search limitations since I might be okay if they're clearly hard core concerned about not having pets dirty up the place and don't have any of their own. And for smoking, sometimes they allow it but it's outside on the patio only or in the common courtyard or something. If any reviews say "funky smelling; smoky" or anything like that - I trust their sensitive noses.

And don't be afraid to ask for a discount.

We usually identify 10-15 properties we might like to rent after looking at most of the ones in the area we want to stay in while setting the price range to the lower third or so of all properties. Then identify the top 2-4 candidates and reach out to the owners to make sure they are available and see what kind of discount we can get. If you're staying 1+ week you'll most likely get a decent weekly discount already but don't be afraid to ask for a bit more off since weekly renters are tons easier on the landlord/manager. And you're going before peak season starts so you might find them looking to fill up their place.

That honestly would be a rush/whirlwind. And there are some nice side trips - seeing Montserrat, visiting nearby wineries - the area specializes in cava - Spanish sparkling wine. You can visit Figueros, and some other nearby historic cities or coastal towns, even Tarragona. Lots of day trip options. And even things like cooking classes.

We didn't try to visit Andalusia from Barcelona - too far. We plan to spend several weeks exploring that region next year.

We spent 6 nights in Barcelona last year and we were very busy!!!

I doubt we will visit wineries, as DW does not drink, so has no interest in the subject, and I used to make wine for years. While I would enjoy touring a place that made wine like they did 100 or more years ago, the large wineries I have stopped at when traveling on my own were a lot like factories and seemed to miss the craftsmanship we like to thing goes into the product.

I will look into the winery idea, if it involves lots of history (like made in a monastery for last 500 yrs), that could make it interesting from a history point of view.

Day trips to coastal towns does sound interesting, how did you travel to them ?

I doubt we will visit wineries, as DW does not drink, so has no interest in the subject, and I used to make wine for years. While I would enjoy touring a place that made wine like they did 100 or more years ago, the large wineries I have stopped at when traveling on my own were a lot like factories and seemed to miss the craftsmanship we like to thing goes into the product.

I will look into the winery idea, if it involves lots of history (like made in a monastery for last 500 yrs), that could make it interesting from a history point of view.

Day trips to coastal towns does sound interesting, how did you travel to them ?

Some are accessible via a short train ride. There are numerous day tour operators such as mini-van tours. We did some of those. TripAdvisor has reviews of them, plus the Barcelona tourism website has tons of day trip options. http://bcnshop.barcelonaturisme.com/shopv3/en/?prom=0

We had a wild and fantastic "All things Dali" day trip where we spent time on the coast including lunch and Dali's house. Something for serious art aficionados. Spanish Trails - one of many local tour operators, but the best I found for the Dali sites.

We had a great tour of Sagrada Familia through an independent travel agency that organizes English speaking tours, and I booked it just a few days ahead. It was the best option for us rather than booking directly and trying to figure out the main system. OK - here is the info, we booked through http://visitenglish.barcelona.ticketbar.eu/en/guided-walking-tours/la-sagrada-familia-guided-tour-/ and got the LA SAGRADA FAMILIA GUIDED TOUR (ENGLISH) run by TGI city tours, and it was excellent. The tip/reference was from this blog - https://www.barcelonahacks.com/category/main-attractions/ and it gave us several other good tips as well. Several other things we got through http://www.barcelonaturisme.com/wv3/en/ (the official Barcelona tourist office) including our Montserrat day trip, and a good deal on Casa Batlló which also skipped the line and required no fixed time slot.

Last edited:
Definitely book ahead for Sagrada Familia and Park Guell if you decide to visit them. Really just a day or two ahead is all you need if you want to stay flexible.
We took a small van tour to Montserrat and the winery, Barcelona Day Tours, a Rick Steves recommendation. The winery we visited was small and had been in the same family for 11 (if I remember correctly) generations. The old house was restored and had indentations in the wall where the animals who were housed on the first floor used to lick the walls.
We enjoyed Casa Batllo and recommend that.
We mostly ate at little cafes away from the touristy area. We also had a meal through eat with.com. That was fun. It was in the chef's apartment and a very small group.
Barcelona is known for having many pickpockets so beware. We didn't have any trouble but I did observe a pickpocket arrest on the Metro.

Rick Steve's book said three days but that is with every minute crammed full .You will want some time to just sip wine in a sidewalk cafe . Wine is 2 euros. Book Sagrada Familia ahead of time or you will be waiting forever .There are tons of Hotels in Barcelona but for $100 or less you may need to look at air B&B's.

Sunset, concur with Moemg above. There is plenty, plenty to do in Barcelona beyond three days. We were there a full week, and felt like we never stopped moving. I'm not suggesting it is as dynamic as Paris, however there is a lot to do and see, and the food is indeed wonderful, and the wine cheap and plentiful. One of our daily 'activities' was to stop for a pitcher of sangria each afternoon. We also made time for espresso breaks at one of Rick's recommended cafes each day. Honestly, the time there flew.

Back
Top Bottom