How to select Binoculars?

mystang52

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Anyone have advice for getting the right binoculars for me? Primary use would be football games (I have upper level season tickets), concerts, plays, and scanning the beachfront from our hotel balcony when on vacation. I haven't done it in my life, but I'm thinking about bird-watching as an occasional hobby so that would be another potential use.
I've had binoculars in the past, now lost or broken. They tended to be the lower end ones and I'm ready to sort-of treat myself. But I'm still looking at a budget of $150 give or take.
Suggestions what to look for, in terms of features/weight etc? Any brands or specific models recommended - or to be avoided?

If you go to a store where you can try out really good binoculars, you'll wind up raising your budget by at least an order of magnitude, probably more.

So based on your condition, I'd say just pick something lightweight and don't bother with much of a search. At that price range they're pretty equivalent.

I got a really nice one for 45 GBP last year when I travelled to the Lake District in UK. My husband got a mini one for even less, this is for going to the concerts, plays and ballets, etc..

I've been leaving the binoculars at home on my travels lately.

Surprisingly, my pocket digital camera with 12X optical zoom covers some use-cases.

For instance, navigating a pleasure craft, it was easy for me to find points of interest more quickly than those wielding binoculars. I'd maximize the optical zoom, take pictures along the shoreline, then zoom in on the pictures, scrolling along the shore to identify features.

I just did a demo in my back yard with a screwdriver. The first picture is what you'd see in binoculars, and the second is using the digital zoom in picture playback. The diagram in the lower right of the second pictures shows the portion of the picture being viewed.

Attachments

• IMG_20170530_185747852.jpg
    IMG_20170530_185747852.jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20170530_185818427.jpg
    IMG_20170530_185818427.jpg
    532.5 KB · Views: 31
I had a pair of binocs for years. Never happy with them. I always had double vision that could not be corrected. I tried a pair of my DS's, Nikon Monarch's. I loved them but not the price. I looked around for a similar pair and found Celestron Outland X (8x42) had pretty good reviews by the birders and were about 1/5th (or better) the price of the Nikons. At $55 on Amazon, they are much better than the price would indicate. For slightly (and I mean slightly) better Binoc, you might try the Celestron Nature DX. They run ~120 on Amazon. Binocs seem to be very personal. What one person likes, another hates. YMMV.

I tried a pair of the stabilized Canon's - WOW. Super nice but over $150. The 10x30 Canon IS are ~$550.

Not answering the OP's question, but DW and I used to be a bit into birding and ran across some serious binocular fetishists. Nothing but the "alpha" brands (Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss - all $2K+) were good enough for the real birders. Though I never got sucked in to this degree I did see that a few hundred bucks well spent really can give a more saturated, clearer image. My info is at least 10 years old, but I found that some of the mid-range Pentax binos gave an image comparable to significantly more expensive models from better known manufacturers. In the years since then I gather that some ED (extra-low dispersion) binos from Chinese manufacturers are providing surprisingly good images for not too much money, but I'm not up on what brands are best. As far as image stabilized binos go: I have a pair of Canon 15x50's. Big and heavy, but the IS does work well and they're good for night sky viewing. In terms of color and clarity, though, I actually prefer my Pentax 10x43's for a third the price.

Short summary: Go to a photo/astro/nature store that carries some different models of binoculars and try them out. You may see significant image quality differences you care about. But beware - that way lies (expensive) madness.

My husband has a high power binoculars, this pair he bought from Germany years ago. But it's bulky, you can't bring that pair to a theater.
EDIT to add, my husband said it's Carl Zeiss Jena 10x50. I've read the bird forum and it seems like this one beats Nikon E1 and Nikon SE but similar to Swarovski.

Last edited:
Love my Nikon Monarchs. Focus close enough for butterflies, thus the name, and really good optics for the money.

Anyone have advice for getting the right binoculars for me? Primary use would be football games (I have upper level season tickets), concerts, plays, and scanning the beachfront from our hotel balcony when on vacation. I haven't done it in my life, but I'm thinking about bird-watching as an occasional hobby so that would be another potential use.
I've had binoculars in the past, now lost or broken. They tended to be the lower end ones and I'm ready to sort-of treat myself. But I'm still looking at a budget of $150 give or take.
Suggestions what to look for, in terms of features/weight etc? Any brands or specific models recommended - or to be avoided?
Eagle Optics online has a lot of good advice.

Not answering the OP's question, but DW and I used to be a bit into birding and ran across some serious binocular fetishists. Nothing but the "alpha" brands (Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss - all $2K+) were good enough for the real birders. Though I never got sucked in to this degree I did see that a few hundred bucks well spent really can give a more saturated, clearer image. My info is at least 10 years old, but I found that some of the mid-range Pentax binos gave an image comparable to significantly more expensive models from better known manufacturers. In the years since then I gather that some ED (extra-low dispersion) binos from Chinese manufacturers are providing surprisingly good images for not too much money, but I'm not up on what brands are best. As far as image stabilized binos go: I have a pair of Canon 15x50's. Big and heavy, but the IS does work well and they're good for night sky viewing. In terms of color and clarity, though, I actually prefer my Pentax 10x43's for a third the price.

Short summary: Go to a photo/astro/nature store that carries some different models of binoculars and try them out. You may see significant image quality differences you care about. But beware - that way lies (expensive) madness.
Yeah - we're in that group. Finally upgraded to Swarovski after a couple of year of really serious birding. Dropped my Nikon binoculars on a metal boat deck in Alaska and broke one of the seals ruining the nitrogen fill (fogged up). I realized how much I was using the binoculars and decided I should go ahead and get the best. Been using the Swarovski's for over 15 years. Amazing optics! Particularly great in low light.

BTW I sent those busted binoculars to Nikon for repair, and they returned them repaired for free!!!

I will go with the OP question...

I would go with the smallest and lightest that you can get for whatever money you want to spend...

I do not have any like some here, but I have a decent pair but it is big and bulky... we have taken it on trips but never seem to use it...

We also have a nice very small pair that magnifies pretty well and we have used them many times...

Weight and bulk are the deciding factors...

Can't recommend a brand, but I do have football tickets and I recommend the smallest lightest you can find for that purpose. My friend that I go to the game with has a large pair and they're a pain in the butt. "Here, hold these while I go to the bathroom. Have you see my binoculars? Wait, I have to get my binoculars out of the car. . ." He uses them maybe a couple times a game. Plus, even at $150, do you want to take them to a place where losing or dropping them is possible if not likely? Football is a wide field of view game. Not really something you need to zoom into.

I think binoculars are like some other things - like cameras. Buy what you need for a specific purpose. I think for all you mentioned, I'd go buy the best pair I could by for $150 keeping size/weight as a high priority. I think when/if you get into bird watching, you're going to want a better quality and strength binocular. Speaking of cameras, you might be better off spending money on a nice camera with a zoom for bird watching and photographing. Either way, I think you'll be over your $150 budget for that. Still, I'd use my light weight/small binoculars until I became dissatisfied. Being dissatisfied will help you understand what you really value when you go shopping for a pair specific to that activity.

Anyone have advice for getting the right binoculars for me?

Years ago, I did extensive research on binoculars and these were highly rated. I've recommended them to several people with a big thanks from all. Based on your needs, I would recommend the 10x42s.

IMG_0503.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0503.JPG
    IMG_0503.JPG
    412.7 KB · Views: 23
I tried a pair of the stabilized Canon's - WOW. Super nice but over $150. The 10x30 Canon IS are ~$550.

Yes agree. The stabilization feature is fantastic. When I use unstabilized binoculars I get nausea. They do cost more but worth it in my view. I have given several sets as gifts and everyone comments on how great they are.

An entire thread about binoculars and no one used the term "glassing" yet. That breaks my heart.

When im glassing ill use a small/cheap lightweight pair of nikon binoculars. Its not necessary for me to ever see into the soul of an animal...I just need to see what it is and if its legal to shoot.

Yeah - we're in that group. Finally upgraded to Swarovski after a couple of year of really serious birding. Dropped my Nikon binoculars on a metal boat deck in Alaska and broke one of the seals ruining the nitrogen fill (fogged up). I realized how much I was using the binoculars and decided I should go ahead and get the best. Been using the Swarovski's for over 15 years. Amazing optics! Particularly great in low light.

BTW I sent those busted binoculars to Nikon for repair, and they returned them repaired for free!!!

Birding/nature watching is the major hobby of DW and me, so much the same sich. There is no describing how much better the experience is with high-quality optics. I have Zeiss Victory HTs (10X42) and they were $2500. Many will recoil with horror but I consider them a lifetime worth of excellent optics and well worth the $.

But like audreyh1, we have also had two pairs of Nikon Monarchs and they are a good optics value at about $300. Both pair had the eyepieces break and in both cases Nikon fixed them for free, I believe they still have a lifetime guarantee.

We had some $150 binocs made in Korea and we were underwhelmed. As mentioned above, the zoom on your phone might serve just as well compared to cheap binoculars.

YMMV.

OP, here. First, thanks to everyone for your replies. Now a follow-up question: I read that 10X can be difficult to stay in focus unless one has a steady hand, vs the 8X.
Is there that much of a difference in 1) the apparent magnification and 2) the stability of the image?

Staying in focus isn't too hard, but steadying the image can definitely be a challenge - with 8x or 10x, though 8x is easier. For a given size and weight the 8x binoculars will be both easier to use (steadier and wider field of view) and brighter (the exit pupil - a measure of the image brightness - is the the objective diameter divided by the magnification. So for example a 10x42 binocular will have a 4.2 mm exit pupil while an 8x42 will have a (brighter) 5.25 mm).

With all that said I bought my wife an 8x43 and myself a 10x43 of the same model of binoculars and prefer the 10x for my own use.

OP, here. First, thanks to everyone for your replies. Now a follow-up question: I read that 10X can be difficult to stay in focus unless one has a steady hand, vs the 8X.
Is there that much of a difference in 1) the apparent magnification and 2) the stability of the image?

For handheld 8x is better for handheld IMO. That's what we use (8.5 x 42) instead of 10x.

You can find excellent technical tutorials on the internet but here are some basics:

I agree with others that 8x is a good magnification. 10x is harder to hold and, particularly with small binoculars, harder to work with.

The second number, like 50 in 7x50 is the diameter of the objective lens which drives the size and cost of the binoculars. As @stepford mentions, dividing the numbers 50/7 gives you the exit pupil. Glasses with big exit pupils, like the 7x50, are sometimes referred to as "night glasses." But .... more is not necessarily better because once the exit pupil is larger than the pupil in your eye it's game over. No more benefit. This is important to us because as we age, our pupils lose ability to dilate. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Eye_pupil_dilation_change_with_age.pdf) We see this as poorer night vision but it also means that we can no longer get any benefit from large bino exit pupils. OTOH, small exit pupils like from a 10x20 miniature bino make the bino very fussy to use. The tube spacing has to be very exact to get the best view.

Eye relief is another thing to be aware of, especially if you wear glasses. Related to this is adjustable eye cups which can be collapsed when the bino user is wearing glasses.

Finally, there are two flavors of binos: porroprism and roof prism. Porroprism binos have the familiar "crook" in the barrel; the eyepiece and objective lens are offset. Roof prism binos have the lenses apparently in line but there is some trickery going on inside those straight-looking barrels. Porro prisms, generally speaking, give higher quality images for the price because they are cheaper to make than roof prisms. Roof prism binos are more compact but more expensive for a given level if image quality.

Like many things, more money gets you higher quality images but the incremental returns diminish as the price rises.

Lens coatings are important but if you're buying new or near-new you'll be getting good coatings. It's only when you are looking at older binos like WWII military glasses that you're in the pre-modern era for coatings. Don't go there.

Make sure whatever you buy has center focus, not an adjustment ring on just one of the tubes. This latter option shows up on military glasses mostly.

What to buy? $150 doesn't really get very far towards bino quality. I would suggest lurking on your local CraigsList, comparing prices to eBay "Sold" prices for identical binos and checking bino test reports from the birder community. I would avoid the low-end manufacturers like Tasco, Bushnell, and Swift. Nikon makes a range of binos but again I'd avoid the low end. Many expensive brands have already been mentioned here. You will not find modern Zeiss or Swarovski glass in your price range and you don't need them anyway.

In our local CraigsList today there is a pair of Nikon Monarch 5-series binos at exactly your $150. That's about half of Nikon's new list price. Review here: Nikon Monarch Binoculars 2017 Comparison Review I suggest you lurk your local CraigsList waiting for something like this.

I have what is optimum for me, Leupold Katmai 8x32s. (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HN5GPI) Unfortunately they are out of production and hard to find. I had a pair stolen and lurked on eBay for most of a year before I found the pair that I have now. They are the most compact "real" binoculars that I know of.

My wife has a pair of miniature Zeiss 10x20s that I bought before I really understood binoculars. They provide a good image but are very fussy to use because of the small exit pupils and poor eye relief. Their only real claim to fame is their small size.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom