Amazon is *slow* without Prime

broadway

Full time employment: Posting here.
I have been an Amazon customer before they started offering Prime.

I recently made a purchase for some pet medication that was fulfilled by Amazon so it is in their warehouse somewhere.

I placed the order 9 pm last Wednesday June 7.
Thursday 6/8 - not shipped
Friday 6/9 - not shipped
Saturday
Sunday
Monday 6/12 - not shipped
Tuesday 6/13 - not shipped

Four (4) business days to "prepare shipment".

It is almost noon on 6/14 the fifth day, and the order still has not shipped.

It is suppose to get to the recipient on 6/17. Good luck with that.

Rather pathetic.
I would have expected the order shipping on Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

I think they may ship via the same fast methods regardless of which shipping is selected. They just delay the day it ships. I think this is to tease the buyer into joining Prime. We wouldn't want the buyer who lives 10 miles from a distribution canter to select a cheaper delivery and get it the next day. Why would they ever join Prime? (I know there are other perks to Prime) At least that is what I've deduced.

I think they may ship via the same fast methods regardless of which shipping is selected. They just delay the day it ships. I think this is to tease the buyer into joining Prime.

This theory makes sense to me, but I don't think it's the only factor that determines shipping speed. I'm not a Prime subscriber, and I've seen my deliveries vary quite a bit in speed. Some ship out the day after I place the order, while others take 5-6 days before they ship. I've always assumed AMZN is using some complex shipping algorithm that is factoring in things like where the items are, what orders are already in the queue ahead of mine, how many Prime orders are in the queue on a particular day, etc. Sure, it's annoying to have to wait 10-12 days occasionally to receive my stuff, but 98% of the items I order online are things I have no urgent need for whatsoever.

We wouldn't want the buyer who lives 10 miles from a distribution canter to select a cheaper delivery and get it the next day.

We have to pay tax when we live in a state with an Amazon warehouse, so it isn't as if we are getting something for nothing.

I have Prime that supposedly gives two-day shipping, which I never really get (like, don't count the day it's ordered as a day, or the day it's delivered) but I know lots of people do get things early, the next day. I notice from my other online shopping that the free shipping usually follows the same pattern as in the OP--last week my free shipping fom a non-Amazon site came to Chicago the day after I ordered it but then went to Wisconsin for two days before coming back to Chicago and then to my suburb. I recently paid for two-day shipping (vs the free shipping) from Nordstrom's because we were leaving town and I wanted the items delivered before then, and it took four days (customer service refunded the $9 but said because I ordered ten minutes after 3 pm eastern time, the two day clock didn't start until the next day which still doesn't make sense).

I have never had any issues with Amazon Prime shipping, and DW has A LOT of AMZN purchases! :rolleyes:

I dont have an ax to grind in this matter, but the items i get from amazon seen to come fast. Not overnight, but a few days. I get all sorts of email follow ups. I think i own a few shares via my mutual funds so please dont cancel your orders,lol.

If the order was Prime and supposed be arrive in 2 days, you could call or chat with Amazon and let them know the order is late. Had something I was waiting for (forgot what now) and the shipment was late. Amazon gave me a month credit on the Prime subscription.

I find sometimes if I order something no rush shipping, but then order something prime, the no rush shipping goes along for the ride and I get the no rush at Prime speed. Doesn't happen all the time and I'm not promoting gaming them :angel:.

Discovered that by accident when I ordered some compact disc stacking trays. I first selected no rush, for 2 of them (to get those $1 digital credits). Then decided to get 2 more at regular Prime speed but got all of them at the same time.

Not everything sold on Amazon comes from Amazon, or is fulfilled by the Amazon warehouses. You can find out this information in the small text in and around the product page and/or orders page.

There are lots of 3rd party sellers that are selling through Amazon, some of which get fulfilled by Amazon warehouses and some do not. Some are handled and shipped by the seller directly.

Amazon-sold products, from Amazon fulfillment centers will be extraordinarily consistent in shipping - others, not so much.

I've mistakenly ordered stuff that I thought was from Amazon but ended up coming from Hong Kong :facepalm:. Gotta look closely to make sure if shipping speed is of the essence.

Even for amazon-fulfilled non-prime stuff, where there's no 3rd party involved, amazon will move your purchase in between their centers before shipping.

So let's say you order something that's not stocked at the FC in your state, they aren't going to give you free shipping from 5 states away. Nope. They will first transfer it from the far-FC to the near one, and then ship it (cheaper) in the local area. Of course, for many products, they are kept in most of the FC's, but others less so. Amazon is constantly shuffling stuff around its FC network.

In addition, on any given day, the priority work to be done is shipping the Prime 2 and 1 day orders. The rest are lower priority so subject to delays if other stuff is busy.

Yes, I believe that Free shipping on amazon is slower today than it was pre-prime. You could usually count on stuff to actually ship in 2-3 days tops, so it wasn't that big a deal. I don't think they are deliberately delaying shipment to encourage prime, rather, they are deliberately taking the cheapest route for your package, while optimizing the turn around for prime orders.

So OP in your case, it still might get there!

I think it generally says if it is a PRIME item or not when you order. If not, it doesn't get the preferential treatment of the Prime membership.

I don't think they are deliberately delaying shipment to encourage prime, rather, they are deliberately taking the cheapest route for your package, while optimizing the turn around for prime orders.

What cheapest route?
The order hasn't even been shipped yet. :nonono:

It will probably turn out that they are deliberately delaying shipment from their NJ warehouses (order is going to Staten Island).

Maybe I live in a particularly easy to ship-to place, but I don;t recall EVER having a problem with Amazon Prime shipping. 2-day ALWAYS arrives in 2 days. One day, arrives in one day, and the other day, they had a special for free SAME day delivery. I didn't need it that fast, but was curious whether it really worked. Sure enough, a few hours later, package was sitting on my front porch!
Sometimes, when I'm not in a hurry, I pick free 5-day shipping instead of 2-day (assuming it may provide them with extra flexibility and doesn't make a difference to me), and even then stuff tends to arrive on time, or sooner.

Last edited:
I went to Staples recently and they didn't have the items I wanted. An employee suggested I have them shipped (free). (I'm on the Mainland now.) I paid for the two items at the store and NEXT day, the first package arrived and DAY AFTER THAT the second item arrived. I got shipment updates via email before, during and after the process - even a satisfaction survey. I was impressed not only with the fast shipping but also with the store employees.

So far, my very few Amazon purchases have taken quite a while to arrive - shipping to the Islands is part of it, of course. I refuse to pay shipping so if I can't "play their game" to get free shipping, I don't buy - I'm not a Prime member, so YMMV.

Update:

I placed the order 9 pm last Wednesday June 7.
Thursday 6/8 - not shipped
Friday 6/9 - not shipped
Saturday
Sunday
Monday 6/12 - not shipped
Tuesday 6/13 - not shipped
Wednesday 6/14 - not shipped

Supposedly, the order is set to arrive on Saturday 6/17.

I have a PRIME membership and we love it! Fast delivery and fabulous customer service if something goes wrong. Don't use the other benefits much but there are free streaming benefits if you're into that.

I have a PRIME membership and we love it! Fast delivery and fabulous customer service if something goes wrong. Don't use the other benefits much but there are free streaming benefits if you're into that.

Know several folks who like PRIME. Typically, I like to hold something in my hand before I buy it. Also, we just DO NOT buy enough new stuff to make it worth it. We buy many things at resale shops, Costco/Sams for staples and groceries, etc. so, even though Amazon is theoretically more convenient, we're always someplace to pick up things we want at decent prices. I suppose we should check into Amazon, just to be certain we aren't selling it short. It would mean changing habits of a lifetime. Not sure I'm up for that. YMMV

Just do what I do...find a friend or family member you can trust and they can trust you...make sure they have pricme...get their credentials and go to town. You can save your billing, shipping and credit card info...just log in and order stuff.

I give my friend $10/year even though he doesnt want me to pay him. If everyone he lets log in gave him some money prime would be covered. Been doing it that way for years.

Discounts, faster shipping, streaming video, streaming music, all for 99 bucks a year. Can't beat it. That's roughly the cost of other services (like NetFlix) that provide just one of these.

We also love our Amazon Prime, and I'd say 90% of items get to us in 2 days even though our location is known for longer shipping times.

Last edited:
I think they may ship via the same fast methods regardless of which shipping is selected. They just delay the day it ships. I think this is to tease the buyer into joining Prime. We wouldn't want the buyer who lives 10 miles from a distribution canter to select a cheaper delivery and get it the next day. Why would they ever join Prime? (I know there are other perks to Prime) At least that is what I've deduced.

+1

I have deduced this also when I noticed, via tracking, that my amazon items would sit at the shippers warehouse (in my city) for a few days before being delivered on the day it was promised.

I have Prime that supposedly gives two-day shipping, which I never really get (like, don't count the day it's ordered as a day, or the day it's delivered) but I know lots of people do get things early, the next day. I notice from my other online shopping that the free shipping usually follows the same pattern as in the OP--last week my free shipping fom a non-Amazon site came to Chicago the day after I ordered it but then went to Wisconsin for two days before coming back to Chicago and then to my suburb. I recently paid for two-day shipping (vs the free shipping) from Nordstrom's because we were leaving town and I wanted the items delivered before then, and it took four days (customer service refunded the $9 but said because I ordered ten minutes after 3 pm eastern time, the two day clock didn't start until the next day which still doesn't make sense).

This is why I stopped paying extra for prime. It really wasn't two day shipping, unless you counted the actual days that it spent being shipped :LOL:

It was easily 4 days as described above, the day ordered and delivered didn't count as days. Neither do Saturday or Sunday (Sunday I can see, but Saturday seems to be a busy delivery day for UPS, FEDEX, and USPS)

I DO NOT have Prime, and my 8 shipments (7 orders, one got split) this year are as follows:

Counted as Delivered Day minus Order Day (So order anytime June 01, delivered June 10 = 9 days)

8, 6, 10, 3, 6, 9, 5, and 8 days

A mix of Amazon and other sellers. Nothing I was in a rush for, so these were fine.

I have intentionally purchased some super low-priced stuff (small electronics mostly) that ships from China - that can take 3- 6 weeks. Not good if you don't notice, but this is stuff for future projects of mine, I just work on them when they arrive, I have stuff to do in the mean time. Prices can be awesome, like $4 for adjustable power supply controllers, CC, CV (need to feed it the input power).

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom