Where Millionaires Live: Top 10 List

ExFlyBoy5

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Nothing really too surprising here. Except maybe #6?

Where Millionaires Live in America 2017

Phoenix Marketing International, a firm that tracks the affluent market, ranked 915 urban areas, both large and small, based on the percentage of millionaire households in each. The following list of cities is limited to metropolitan areas with at least one urbanized area with a population of 50,000 or more. We will examine small cities with big millionaire populations in a separate story. Here are the 10 largest metropolitan areas boasting the highest concentration of millionaires in the U.S.

10. Anchorage, AK
9. Lexington Park, MD
8. Napa, CA
7. San Fran, CA
6. The Villages, FL
5. Honolulu, HI
4. Oxnard, CA
3. San Jose, CA
2. Washington DC
1. Stamford, CT

WooHoo, CA has 40% of the list.

"Go west young man"

The only good thing about Oxnard was Sal's Mexican Inn, and that closed in 2009.

Florida has a lot of transplanted wealth, so The Villages at #6 doesn't surprise me.

WooHoo, CA has 40% of the list.

"Go west young man"

I was curious how much I would need to increase my "income" to have the same QOL in San Jose as here in Atlanta. This handy calculator tells me that I would need to increase that by 72% (reference numbers 60K in ATL would need to be 103K in San Jose)...so yeah, I will not be moving to California anytime soon. :D

Cost of Living Wizard | Salary.com

Disclaimer: I didn't read all the fine print in the COL calculator above, so I don't know how that would equate to purchasing a home, etc. and how that would affect the above #.

Anything that makes you do 11 clicks to see a 10 item list is by definition mere click-bait to sell ads and therefore meaningless IMHO. I won't play that game (but thanks to the OP for providing the summary).

Anything that makes you do 11 clicks to see a 10 item list is by definition mere click-bait to sell ads and therefore meaningless IMHO. I won't play that game (but thanks to the OP for providing the summary).

That's why I listed the ten...because I too hate clickbait. I originally saw the research on another news source but it was a pay site, so I went and found a "free" site for others to see.

I wouldn't have guessed #10 AK, but then I've never been there/don't know much about it. And I might have guessed at least one from [-]NYC[/-], Boston and/or Seattle. [edit: I see the most millionaires are in NYC and LA, but the OP's list is the highest concentrations of millionaires].

In my search, I read there are 2,089 billionaires in the world. More than I might have guessed.

Last edited:
I know of a building that is occupied with 100% millionaires and billionaires. These are not "The millionaire next door" types like many of us are. These are the Real millionaires. They go from their doorman building, to their chauffeured Maybachs. There are some apts that have over 30 rooms. Its like a fantasy life. Mostly old money. I saw it first hand. I was the hired help.

I know of a building that is occupied with 100% millionaires and billionaires. These are not "The millionaire next door" types like many of us are. These are the Real millionaires. They go from their doorman building, to their chauffeured Maybachs. There are some apts that have over 30 rooms. Its like a fantasy life. Mostly old money. I saw it first hand. I was the hired help.
That doesn't surprise me at all. I assume there are several buildings like that in several major cities in the US and around the world.

I'm surprised about Oxnard. I used to work near there. It used to be more farmland than big city. But that was a while back, 1989 time frame. Maybe it's changed since.

I have to agree as to how did Oxnard get on the list. I used to hang out in some of the bars after playing golf in Camarillo and the town didn't look that great. I lived in Thousand Oaks where it appeared that's where the real wealth is centered in Ventura County. Oxnard:confused::confused:

Oxnard?? There was a recent article in the LA Times about all the problems there.

Oxnard residents are fighting slag heaps, power plants and oil fields that mar the town's beaches - LA Times

Snippet:

The population of Oxnard is about 75% Latino, 7.5% Asian, 2.4% African American and 1% Pacific Islander. The per capita income is less than $20,000 a year, and nearly half of all adults have less than a high school education.
There was a lady on either this forum or CD who wants to move out of Oxnard because of crime problem. The residents should know better. I once again question these types of articles.

The list is highly suspect... Oxnard??

Your comment and others got me thinking. Exactly WHO did this research and why? Well, the "about us" page from the group that conducted the study is um...well, just as suspect as the data. :angel: After reading this, I have to ask the age old question posed in the movie Office Space, "What would you say you DO HERE?"

Our Founding Story - Phoenix Marketing International

At any rate, I am sorry I posted it, because it sure seems like some bull.

I wouldn't have guessed #10 AK, but then I've never been there/don't know much about it. And I might have guessed at least one from [-]NYC[/-], Boston and/or Seattle. [edit: I see the most millionaires are in NYC and LA, but the OP's list is the highest concentrations of millionaires].

In my search, I read there are 2,089 billionaires in the world. More than I might have guessed.

+1

Born, raised and spent most of my working years in Alaska. Surprised me Anchorage came in at #10.

I'm surprised about Oxnard. I used to work near there. It used to be more farmland than big city. But that was a while back, 1989 time frame. Maybe it's changed since.

+1
Seems like Santa Barbara or LA would have a much higher concentration of millionaires than Oxnard. Very agricultural area.

Don't need to read the article, because I know where all the millionaires live..
next door. I know this because I read the book....

I am surprised that "With Mom" did not make the list.

+1
Seems like Santa Barbara or LA would have a much higher concentration of millionaires than Oxnard. Very agricultural area.

The key word is "concentration"....lots of non-millionaires in LA. I assume Santa Barbara as well?

Back
Top Bottom