Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   FIRE and Money (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/)
-   -   Blow that dough (It's official now) (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/blow-that-dough-its-official-now-89863.html)

daylatedollarshort 12-20-2017 11:15 AM

I'm still into trying to live high on the hog with a low withdrawal rate, preferably zero. I'm pretty close these days, once SS kicks in on top of pensions and some hobby income. We just laugh when we look at what we could spend on a 4% withdrawal rate. It just isn't us to even want to do that, though it is nice to know it is an option.

calmloki 12-20-2017 11:22 AM

If spending brings joy - spend. As a contrarian, google "year of spending nothing". I paw through drawers hunting something and find piles of stuff we bought and haven't used. Possessions just weigh me down. I do note that many here spend on experiences, which seems different.

Scuba 12-20-2017 02:11 PM

With the new tax bill eliminating deductibility of HELOC interest, we’ll probably pay it off before 1/1. No impact on NW, but definitely an impact on available cash.

MBAustin 12-20-2017 02:54 PM

Inspired by this thread, I ordered lobster tails and crab cakes for Christmas and NYE dinners. Of course, they were on sale with a special extra 5% off discount for ordering today - some habits are hard to break!

Walt34 12-20-2017 03:08 PM

For decades a SIL and BIL have hosted the large Christmas dinner and paid for most, if not all, of the food. We'd of course bring a side dish but they paid for the bulk of it. Although they have pensions, their income is now less than one-half of what it was and they've been having a hard time adjusting.

So for the last few years we've sprung for the spiral cut Honeybaked Ham that for some reason SIL feels is necessary and traditional at that dinner. So now that $90 (delivered) 10 lb. ham is in the refrigerator thawing. It's good ham, but I am hard put to tell the difference between that and the ones we can buy for less than half that price at any of the local grocery stores. But what the hey, it's once a year, we can easily afford it, it makes her feel good and we like them, and we do enjoy seeing everyone at the party.

So here's to Honeybaked Ham!

aja8888 12-20-2017 03:27 PM

Starting to add up the 2017 totals for spending. Yikes!:eek:

Big dental (not done yet) - $40 K

Other medical not covered by Medicare/Medigap/Part D - ~$8 K (mostly DW)

Assisting other family members (gifts, of course) - $14 K (rent, other bills, medical)

Deposits for DD's April 2018 wedding (finally!) - $8 K

I'M STARTING TO ACT LIKE ROBBIE!!
(Blow that dough!) :laugh:

Dilley Dilley!

kgtest 12-20-2017 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba (Post 1983021)
With the new tax bill eliminating deductibility of HELOC interest, we’ll probably pay it off before 1/1. No impact on NW, but definitely an impact on available cash.

Yeah without the break its not as attractive to hold onto HELOC if you had no other reason. One of the clients I advise is thinking of doing this as well.

W2R 12-20-2017 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 1983082)
Starting to add up the 2017 totals for spending. Yikes!:eek:

Big dental (not done yet) - $40 K

Other medical not covered by Medicare/Medigap/Part D - ~$8 K (mostly DW)

Assisting other family members (gifts, of course) - $14 K (rent, other bills, medical)

Deposits for DD's April 2018 wedding (finally!) - $8 K

I'M STARTING TO ACT LIKE ROBBIE!!
(Blow that dough!) :laugh:

Dilley Dilley!

Wow!!! That's a lot. Look at it this way - - good thing all these expenses came up this year, with the market booming. Right now, most of us can afford to spend a little more than usual if need be. During a year like 2009, it would be more difficult I think.

Blow that dough! :laugh: Dilley Dilley! That sounds like a dill pickle to me, but hey, whatever..... ;)

Beldar 12-20-2017 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 1982618)
Woo-Hoo, my theme - :)

Yeah Baby! Blow that dough!

I bought myself a Christmas present this year. A one of a kind hand made knife, mirror polished with grade AAA mother of pearl scales. Two grand.

Live the dream - :)

You rock!

I did treat myself to a Martini-Henry MK4 this past month; the seller didn't really know what he had. But other than that, no real drunken sailor expenditures yet.

My portfolio returned over the last QTR nearly twice what my annual "earned" income was during my last year of w*rk. I should buy a knife, yes? ;D

_B

FreeBear 12-20-2017 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HadEnuff (Post 1982603)
My situation seems to be that as I have achieved a level of affluence, I no longer enjoy things like international travel, and heavy restaurant meals. I seem to enjoy my own cooking and my own bed.
A lot of what I thought would be great fun upon retirement has turned out to be an opportunity to be uncomfortable.

I still like to eat out, especially certain ethnic foods that are a pain to do at home. We've certainly cut back though. We can usually eat better at home were we can control the ingredients and prep. As for travel, I haven't been to airport since FIRING 3 years ago. We have done a bunch of epic road trips though. I like the slower pace and flexibility.

Quote:

Originally Posted by meierlde (Post 1982608)
For several years while working I would go scuba diving 3 times a year, and at that time looked forward to more when retired. However after about 10 years I got burned out on it since I would get a cold nearly every time I took a trip (and colds and scuba don't mix well). So I gave it up.

I feel your pain! Our summer kayak trip was epic and amazing. Upon return, it took more than a month to finally shake off the resulting cold/flu bug. Then there are the back issues. I'd love to push harder in my outdoor sports, but my body rebels, usually after the fact. One of my few regrets in retirement, wish I had left sooner...

W2R 12-20-2017 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beldar (Post 1983128)
You rock!

I did treat myself to a Martini-Henry MK4 this past month; the seller didn't really know what he had. But other than that, no real drunken sailor expenditures yet.

My portfolio returned over the last QTR nearly twice what my annual "earned" income was during my last year of w*rk. I should buy a knife, yes? ;D

_B

Absolutely! You need to buy a knife. Or, whatever floats your boat. That kind of portfolio return is amazing. :)

aja8888 12-20-2017 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 1983106)
Wow!!! That's a lot. Look at it this way - - good thing all these expenses came up this year, with the market booming. Right now, most of us can afford to spend a little more than usual if need be. During a year like 2009, it would be more difficult I think.

Blow that dough! :laugh: Dilley Dilley! That sounds like a dill pickle to me, but hey, whatever..... ;)

Yes, Mr. Market covered all plus more. I am grateful! Next year is "The Wedding" and Dad's daughter (@ 37) will be finally married off. :coolsmiley:;)

W2R 12-20-2017 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 1983139)
Yes, Mr. Market covered all plus more. I am grateful! Next year is "The Wedding" and Dad's daughter (@ 37) will be finally married off. :coolsmiley:;)

My only daughter's wedding was in Oregon, two weeks before I retired. :banghead: I had set my retirement date years before, and did not want to change it. And, she could only get the location reserved on that date. Oh well, it all worked out although I felt like I was 110 years old by the time I had her married off and I was retired.

Congratulations on your daughter's wedding. It's nice to know that one's daughter has a DH who is watching out for her, especially if she lives far away like mine does.

Winemaker 12-20-2017 06:09 PM

Well, we could all buy several of these;


https://www.teeshirtpalace.com/produ...hoCAFcQAvD_BwE

FIREd 12-20-2017 06:45 PM

Come to think of it, we did blow a lot of dough this year. Move across country (on our dime), close to a full house renovation, new car, stocking up our new wine cellar, plus a few other shameful follies... it’s just that most of the money did not come out of our portfolio all at once this year. It had been set aside for those purposes over several years so I don’t feel like we broke the bank.

pb4uski 12-20-2017 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walt34 (Post 1983061)
For decades a SIL and BIL have hosted the large Christmas dinner and paid for most, if not all, of the food. We'd of course bring a side dish but they paid for the bulk of it. Although they have pensions, their income is now less than one-half of what it was and they've been having a hard time adjusting.

So for the last few years we've sprung for the spiral cut Honeybaked Ham that for some reason SIL feels is necessary and traditional at that dinner. So now that $90 (delivered) 10 lb. ham is in the refrigerator thawing. It's good ham, but I am hard put to tell the difference between that and the ones we can buy for less than half that price at any of the local grocery stores. But what the hey, it's once a year, we can easily afford it, it makes her feel good and we like them, and we do enjoy seeing everyone at the party.

So here's to Honeybaked Ham!

+1 My uncle who will be having Christmas dinner with us can't have ham due to dietary restrictions... DW had had me buy one a week or so ago and we had forgot about his restrictions... so that will go in the freezer... she bought a small piece of ribeye roast to try and we had it tonight and it was delicious so I told her that we should get a bigger one for Christmas and she hedges and says it is $8/pound... my response... so what, only $40 for the 5 of us and its Christmas!

Robbie is rubbing off on us.:facepalm:

MRG 12-20-2017 09:30 PM

Christmas is but once a year. So in honor of the blow that dough, dinner for two is 4.5 pounds of the biggliest king crabs.

These were 39 bucks a pound. Whoo hoo..

Thanks Robbie.

aja8888 12-20-2017 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winemaker (Post 1983213)
Well, we could all buy several of these;


https://www.teeshirtpalace.com/produ...hoCAFcQAvD_BwE

Very nice !! Thanks you!! I am ordering a few of these.:coolsmiley:

Brat 12-20-2017 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hesperus (Post 1982553)
We're doing our part. Upcoming ski trip to Whistler/Blackcomb in feb, first class air, slopeside lodging & all the perks.

February? Piker! My extended family of 8 just arrived, we will join them Saturday. The cost of lodging alone choked me.

Brat 12-20-2017 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 1983144)
My only daughter's wedding was in Oregon, two weeks before I retired. :banghead: I had set my retirement date years before, and did not want to change it. And, she could only get the location reserved on that date. Oh well, it all worked out although I felt like I was 110 years old by the time I had her married off and I was retired. ...

.

Weddings are very stressful for the parents... Count yourself lucky, few Oregon weddings break their parent's bank.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.