55 and Done but I'll take it!

53anddone

Recycles dryer sheets
Started heavily in this forum when I was 53 (hence the username....) but it took a couple more years to get here.

I have now been FIRE for one week and working on the adjustment.

I was very lucky and worked for a privately owned company which was sold and allowed some key managers walk away with a nice check.

I probably could keep my entire nest egg (mid seven figures) in cash but I am leaning toward 40% in cash or equivalent, and 60% in boring, dividend payers. House is paid for, cars are paid for, wife is paid for...:)

Thanks to everyone for all the knowledge gained on this board and in particular making me feel comfortable that it is possible to say "Done" at 55. Hope I stay there!

Started heavily in this forum when I was 53 (hence the username....) but it took a couple more years to get here.

I have now been FIRE for one week and working on the adjustment.

I was very lucky and worked for a privately owned company which was sold and allowed some key managers walk away with a nice check.

I probably could keep my entire nest egg (mid seven figures) in cash but I am leaning toward 40% in cash or equivalent, and 60% in boring, dividend payers. House is paid for, cars are paid for, wife is paid for...:)

Thanks to everyone for all the knowledge gained on this board and in particular making me feel comfortable that it is possible to say "Done" at 55. Hope I stay there!

Congrats. Unless expenses are crazy high, you will stay there.:dance:

Congratulations! We hope to see you posting about great experiences in ER!

Congrats - I'm not far behind (but am older).

Always nosey, and I hope you don't mind me asking, but what are you 'doing' about healthcare? I'm lucky enough to have retiree medical, but they can stop that whenever they choose.

Congratulations!!!...not far behind you....6 and 1/2 weeks to go... age 54.5 and had a similar situation with private company being sold.

Congrats - I'm not far behind (but am older).

Always nosey, and I hope you don't mind me asking, but what are you 'doing' about healthcare? I'm lucky enough to have retiree medical, but they can stop that whenever they choose.

I get a year of COBRA and then will go on the State Plan here in VT. Not cheap, but its available so long as you have the means.

5 or 6 Million should be plenty if you control your spending.

If you can't retire no one could with that stash. LOL

One question your stash is all in cash right now?

Congrats! 55 is also my target age, in 2023 (hence the username)

If you can't retire no one could with that stash. LOL

One question your stash is all in cash right now?

Since I got a large lump sum I am taking it slow in terms of investing it. Have been buying some of the beaten down REITS (WELL, VTR) and some Utilities (D, SO, Etc. ) but about 85% cash at the moment. Not in a hurry.

Also busy rolling over pensions, etc. from MegaCorp.

Since I got a large lump sum I am taking it slow in terms of investing it. Have been buying some of the beaten down REITS (WELL, VTR) and some Utilities (D, SO, Etc. ) but about 85% cash at the moment. Not in a hurry.

Also busy rolling over pensions, etc. from MegaCorp.

Thanks. You know what is best for you so having a plan to me is the first step and feeling right about what you are doing. To me there is no right or wrong way we all got to where we are now by doing what we felt was right. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom