Zuckerberg

Not a FB user either but I am enjoying the inquisition. Zuckerburg is doing MUCH better than I thought he would. However, day two is getting repetitive. It's clear to me that our leaders know very little about how this stuff works since some of their questions border on the "uninformed" (Trying to be nice)

Last edited:
While I have an account on Facebook, I don't do much of anything other than participate in one group for my hometown.

I think Mr. Zuckerberg is looking good and our senators and congressmen are looking poorly... rather than ask questions they seem to be using their time to get up on their soapboxes and pontificate on their individual political agendas. Much ado about not much.

Not a FB user here, and not really interested in the inquisition although I saw a clip of Senator Kennedy (R-LA) going after him which was pretty funny and cutting.

I think Mr. Zuckerberg is looking good and our senators and congressmen are looking poorly... rather than ask questions they seem to be using their time to get up on their soapboxes and pontificate on their individual political agendas. Much ado about not much.

+1

As a practical matter, I do not understand how the 4-minute time limit per Congressperson can result in any sort of meaningful dialogue or progress of any kind, irrespective of what one's view is on what direction that progress should take.

I heard a little bit on the radio yesterday and thought Zuckerberg was doing pretty well.

Generally, though I avoid listening to Congressional hearings because they are all the same: A bunch of rude old windbags with zero knowledge of the subject at hand, trying to make themselves look good by badgering and humiliating whoever is in front of them.

My dream is to hear a witness say something like: "Senator, was there a question in there somewhere?" or "Senator, I understand your need to pontificate and grandstand. When you're finished with that, I'd be happy to answer whatever substantive question you may have." or "Senator, I didn't come here to be insulted and belittled. If you can't refrain from that I will simply leave."

+1

As a practical matter, I do not understand how the 4-minute time limit per Congressperson can result in any sort of meaningful dialogue or progress of any kind, irrespective of what one's view is on what direction that progress should take.
+1

Not interesting to me. The Equifax breach seemed more relevant to me. I don't know who would consider any information on Facebook to be private, regardless of 'settings'.

Lots of showboating from uninformed congressmen. Don't they do any prep at all?

“So, how do you sustain a business model in which users don’t pay for your service?” Sen. Hatch asked Mark Zuckerberg on Tuesday.

“Senator, we run ads,” replied a smirking Zuckerberg.

LOL. What a waste of time.

.... My dream is to hear a witness say something like: "Senator, was there a question in there somewhere?" or "Senator, I understand your need to pontificate and grandstand. When you're finished with that, I'd be happy to answer whatever substantive question you may have." or "Senator, I didn't come here to be insulted and belittled. If you can't refrain from that I will simply leave."

+1 especially the question in there somewhere response. Zuckerberg has been pretty cool and respectful... more than I could have I suspect.

Worst case, since he has FU money he can take the whole shooting match and move it to Canada.

I do not understand this sentiment. Are you envious of what he has created? He made a huge mistake and is paying the price, rightfully. I hope he makes FB safer and immune to thieves.
In America if you create a really successful company you get wealthy, nothing wrong with that as it motives the smartest and hardest working.

Pretty sure Zuck and anyone else that sits before these hearings takes it with a grain of salt...I know I would.

It's funny, I wish the public could hold court like this for things like the Office of Personnel Mgmt. They leaked my secret stuff, which I care way more about then anyone leaking my fb data.

I've been listening to it in the background the last 2 days. Anyone who thinks their online info is secure may be smokin' that wacky tobacky. While not a facebook power user, i do have an account to follow my kids' life.

I am getting tired of hearing the same questions asked and the same answers. it is like our Senators and Representatives do not listen at all to the previous questions. Zuckerberg is doing a very good job so far. I think the funniest questions/answers so far was from Sen Durbin. “Mr. Zuckerberg, would you be comfortable sharing with us the name of the hotel you stayed in last night?” and “If you’ve messaged anyone this week, would you share with us the names of the people you’ve messaged?” The obvious replies were "No" and "No" respectively.

Not interesting to me. The Equifax breach seemed more relevant to me. I don't know who would consider any information on Facebook to be private, regardless of 'settings'.

+1 Smartphones reveal much more sensitive data about users than does FB. For example, the accelerometer in smartphones is generally not shielded from apps, which can then use its readings to decipher what a user is tapping, such as a password.

I tire quickly of the dog and pony grandstanding of the politicians trying to look smart. I use FB regularly and anyone who doesn't think any social media site doesn't monetize your information some way shape of form is naive.

Last edited:
Like many, I am fed up with the grand standing.

I would be far more impressed with our elected leaders if they were to get the Big Mucky Mucks of Equifax on the hot seat and hold them accountable for the ongoing problems they have caused tens of millions of citizens. For some reason they seem to have got a pass from the Feds.

IMHO, the Equifax fiasco is far more damaging to most people than the Facebook mess.

Last edited:
I have a facebook account so I can follow my kids. I occasionally post a photo.

Facbook could provide its services, ad-free, for 99 cents per month.

Instead of paying that, we make a deal where the advertisers pay facebook in exchange for using our personal data for targeted ads.
I have no expectation of privacy for anything I post there.

I haven't followed the hearings, because I don't enjoy watching politicians pontificate, especially when I think any problem could be solved if Americans were willing to pay a few bucks for this service.

Last edited:
Haven't watched any of the Zuckster grilling.

I do have a FB account to keep in the loop other I know who also have an account.

I have voiced my feelings before that FB is lax on privacy. In fact, their business model is dependent on oversharing personal information. Rather than the promises of keeping data away from unwanted eyes, should give more meaningful tools for the user decide what to filter what to not. The settings seem purposely confusing and consistently changing.

I hope FB doesn't lock down and end up like Microsoft Windows Vista that specialized in difficulty to use. I can see futuire prompts the Vista way ("Do you want to provide your phone? Are you sure you want to provide your phone? Are you really, really sure you want to provide your phone?").

That said, I see irony of the folks doing the grilling who aren't so common sense minded on their own.

I'm guarded on what I share on FB and assume anything I post is like a postcard where anyone can see.

I'm guarded on what I share on FB and assume anything I post is like a postcard where anyone can see.

+1
I have no illusion of privacy when I put information on a public platform.

I have no idea why anyone(over 8 years old) would have launched the application in question and actually answered the questions. Apparently there's quite a few folks who don't have sense to come in out of the rain.

.... I think the funniest questions/answers so far was from Sen Durbin. “Mr. Zuckerberg, would you be comfortable sharing with us the name of the hotel you stayed in last night?” and “If you’ve messaged anyone this week, would you share with us the names of the people you’ve messaged?” The obvious replies were "No" and "No" respectively.

+1 it was both funny and stupid. What a moron.

+1 especially the question in there somewhere response. Zuckerberg has been pretty cool and respectful... more than I could have I suspect.

Worst case, since he has FU money he can take the whole shooting match and move it to Canada.

Pffff... what have we done to deserve that ??!! :LOL:

I agree with a poster on another forum I frequent. "If you aren't paying for the product, YOU are the product"

(edit: not a Bookface user)

Pffff... what have we done to deserve that ??!! :LOL:

I agree with a poster on another forum I frequent. "If you aren't paying for the product, YOU are the product"

How much have you paid so far to use this early-retirement.org product?

Back
Top Bottom