Zuckerberg

I do not understand this sentiment. Are you envious of what he has created? He made a huge mistake and is paying the price, rightfully.

He didn't make any mistake other than get caught. It's all part of the monetization of data. People sign up, volunteer tons of private information, pictures, send to friends, family of like persuasion, yearn to be popular and the talk of the town. The data is mined and sold to those looking for a demographic.

DW was looking at some smantzy mantzy undergarments for a formal backless gown on some website that also sells women's bathing suits. I've been getting bathing suit ads since November, and now the weight watcher, and diet ads are flowing in.

Like many, I am fed up with the grand standing.

I would be far more impressed with our elected leaders if they were to get the Big Mucky Mucks of Equifax on the hot seat and hold them accountable for the ongoing problems they have caused tens of millions of citizens. For some reason they seem to have got a pass from the Feds.

IMHO, the Equifax fiasco is far more damaging to most people than the Facebook mess.

+1 what a silly non-issue that congress is losing their minds over. Investigate the data breaches that cause serious damage, stolen SS#s/credit card info, etc. And while they are at it how about doing something about all the medicare fraud that is taking place.

Not ads for stick-on bras? That's what was needed for the backless gown, after all :D (hey, they really work!)

DW was looking at some smantzy mantzy undergarments for a formal backless gown on some website that also sells women's bathing suits. I've been getting bathing suit ads since November, and now the weight watcher, and diet ads are flowing in.

He didn't make any mistake other than get caught. It's all part of the monetization of data. People sign up, volunteer tons of private information, pictures, send to friends, family of like persuasion, yearn to be popular and the talk of the town. The data is mined and sold to those looking for a demographic.

I'm waiting for Zuckerberg to roll out a product complementary to Facebook (call it "Facebook Prime"). The business model is simple paid subscription. Same basic functionality, but he swears ("really, I mean it!") that user data won't be monetized, and users of the new service won't serve as a gateway to gain the data of their friends, nor will their data be accessed by Facebook through their friends, etc. It costs $48 per year, or $24 if you are willing to receive untargeted ads while using that app.

He might actually do something like this if enough users get fed up with the present shenanigans and/or a serious startup competitor gains traction with something similar. If, instead, rules comes along to regulate his existing practices, immunizing him from further criticism, he and his present business model will be locked in forever (i.e. 10 years in Silicon Valley) as the king of social media.

Last edited:
So was thinking of FB this morning. So, if the result is gov't regulation, which is more trustworthy to keep data private and not snoop? I private company like FB or the Fed. If the latter, I can imagine FB going similar to the phone company. Supposedly private, but if there is cause with a warrent, every single FB Like could be monitored. Of course, maybe the already is the case as doesn't FB cooperate with the Fed on cases?

If there is a choice between a freebie version where your data is the product vs a paid version with all the ads following you around, I'd think majority of folks will go for the freebie version.

If I were I my early 30's with a NW in excess of 50b, I'm not sure I would have put up with their BS. After all, he could easily move his company to a "friendly" country (or just buy one) and do as he pleases. Or just retired and try to spend his money. He'd have one heck of a WR.

If I were I my early 30's with a NW in excess of 50b, I'm not sure I would have put up with their BS. After all, he could easily move his company to a "friendly" country (or just buy one) and do as he pleases. Or just retired and try to spend his money. He'd have one heck of a WR.

He can't move - that risks FB to get strongly regulated, taxed, maybe even banned. Most of his revenue comes from US users and companies too.

And he won't retire I think, too much of his identity is wrapped in FB. He could have walked ten years ago if safe retirement was his goal.

Not ads for stick-on bras? That's what was needed for the backless gown, after all :D (hey, they really work!)

She ended up with some kind of criss cross and around to the front clasp. She was trying to avoid the stick on kind. Hell, I wouldn't mind seeing ads for duct tape!:LOL:

He can't move - that risks FB to get strongly regulated, taxed, maybe even banned.

I don't buy any of that for a second.

Most of his revenue comes from US users and companies too.
So, you don't think a US company would buy the advertising services from a company outside of the US?

He is stuck right here in America! The kind of information sharing, ad bombardment and privacy violations would not fly in any country where his business interest would be protected. Non of the political shenanigans would fly and FB would likely not exist. In many European countries, politicians can’t raise money and you can’t advertise on TV so FB doesn’t stand a chance of surviving there.

Oh and one more thing, there’s such strict privacy laws in most of the other developed countries to render FB useless. For example, you couldn’t even find criminal records on line because that’s not allowed in many European countries, if not all

Europe wouldn't be my choice either but there are many other countries and ways to build your IT services and get it done, especially with his money.

Done....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom