Five Guys Burgers

CardsFan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So, I guess things come slowly to the Midwest, and DW and I are even slower to give them a try.

Stopped at Five Guys, for the first time. Totally unimpressed. With all the hype, I was expecting some great, thick, juicy, burger. Wrong.

The small burger was basically a Steak and Shake single. The large burger was a Steak and Shake double. When I order A burger, I expect ONE burger, not a double little burger.

Live and learn. No great harm. But I am at a loss at all the accolades they get.

End of rant.

I tried it once. Seemed more greasy than juicy. Whatever they added to enhance the taste, I didn't really care for. Soggy fries. If I was with someone who really wanted to go, I wouldn't veto it, but otherwise it's one and done for me.

I like them, but it's a rare thing for me. We get takeout, bring home and usually stick the fries in the oven for a few extra mins and reheat. Get all the toppings.

I think I tried them once, not too impressed, I’m waiting for the five gals burgers.

Not a big fan. Many burger places here. We like Burger Monger the best.

We have had Five Guys down here for a few years. But, we have never gone there. [-]Fast food burgers just aren't enticing (to us).[/-] EDIT: Frank is a native New Orleanian, so as you probably figured he does not normally eat fast food burgers.

I think they’re pretty good for fast food burgers. They’re nowhere near as good as what I can do on my own grill, but they taste good and seem to be a pretty good grade of beef. Agree, their frys are not very good at all. Soggy is a good description. They’re better than most fast food, but if I want a good burger, I’m going to a local sports bar near me or making my own.

Yeah, Five Guys is kind of a soup sandwich for me. Soggy and sloppy. I like the simplicity and freshness of In'N'Out and the toasted edge of their buns - and their fries. Habit Burger beats I'N'O for the meat patty, but at double the money.

They are good here but the price is ridiculous. We only ate there once. In and out is good and much cheaper.

So, I guess things come slowly to the Midwest, and DW and I are even slower to give them a try.

Stopped at Five Guys, for the first time. Totally unimpressed. With all the hype, I was expecting some great, thick, juicy, burger. Wrong.

The small burger was basically a Steak and Shake single. The large burger was a Steak and Shake double. When I order A burger, I expect ONE burger, not a double little burger.

Live and learn. No great harm. But I am at a loss at all the accolades they get.

End of rant.

I agree with your assessment as I also was unimpressed.

Pretty pricey for a standard burger and fries. I did not see anything special for what costs 24.00 for a couple to eat.

VW

Yeah, Five Guys is kind of a soup sandwich for me. Soggy and sloppy. I like the simplicity and freshness of In'N'Out and the toasted edge of their buns - and their fries. Habit Burger beats I'N'O for the meat patty, but at double the money.

I agreed 100% with your first two assessments, but I don’t care for the Habit.

I’m really a Whataburger gal.

Have not had 5 guys and now will not have to try them...

Have eaten In N Out as DD likes them... they actually are good and not too bad of price...

Also like Smashburger... they are a bit on the smaller side but not that bad..

Another good one is at Chili's.... they are big and really good...

I don't mind 5 Guys but they aren't on the top of my list. I can't explain it but it's kind of too "messy backyard-style" for my liking which, on the otherhand, I can see why others may really like them.
My top 3 burger chains in no order are In N Out (combo of simple great taste and value), Shake Shack, and MOS burger (only the locations in Japan). Honourable mention to Fatburger.

No 5-Guys where I live. I do like In-n-Out. Double Double Animal Style. Fries made from a potato right in front of your eyes. Shakes are good too.

Best burger I've found is Squeeze Inn, Sacramento. Gotta experience it, but they ice-steam the buns, throw handfuls of grated cheese on the patty and let it melt, the edges getting crunchy.

Best chain burger is Mimi's Mushroom & Brie Burger: on grilled sourdough with sautéed sliced mushrooms, caramelized onions, and melted brie.

Last edited:
Funny, I don’t eat burgers often but I think Five Guys burgers are better than any fast food burgers around me. They’re almost as good as Shake Shack. We don’t have In-n-Out here, but Five Guys is way better than Steak ‘n Shake to me. And dry burgers, at Five Guys? Red Robin is better than Five Guys, but we haven’t gone there in many years. There’s a regional chain near us that is way better anyway, so they get the few dollars we spend on burgers. Guess that’s why there are all kinds of restaurants to serve all kinds of tastes.

Last edited:

End of rant.

Yeah my favorite burger joint was Steak N Shake when I was living in the Midwest and I missed them when I moved back East. When I tried 5 Guys I was disappointed. I also couldn’t believe it was $13 for a burger, fries and a coke. I didn’t know it was a double (kinda like Little Caesar’s). The fries are great but way too greasy.

5 Guys fries are the best. They're like the fries we used to get at the State Fair,thick and meaty. I dislike skinny fries,ymmv. I think the burgers are good, too. Better than any other true fast food option, although I like 'em all, InOut, Smashburger, Fatburger, heck I even enjoy a good old Whopper now and again.

Sometimes I think it's on the food network they have hamburger places they spotlight. It's never any I have heard of and certainly none of the hamburger chains everyone is familiar with. I think those are the ones I would try if I had the chance. Living in the middle of no where I am stuck with the big hamburger chains.

There is a Five Guys about 150 miles north and south of me and I've always wanted to try it, now I'm not so eager based on some of the opinions.

Same here OP! I love a good burger and we just got a Five Guys close by recently. I tried them this summer and found it hardly a notch above McD's. I won't be back.

I’ve never liked Five Guys. But there is a small restaurant near me that’s not a chain, and they have a Jalapeño cheeseburger that is out of this world!!!

Back
Top Bottom