State Governors

redduck

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I understand (sort of) why U.S Senate and House of Rep. races are important. But, I don't understand the importance of the state governor's races as it pertains to the country. Anyone care to explain?

In terms of handicapping how voters are leaning at this point for the 2020 presidential elections, senate and gubernatorial races are considered relevant since the electoral college is generally based on state-wide popular votes.

All politics are local. Gov's appoint state cabinet officers, and in some states, judges. They can be a powerful force in grassroots organization - the force that drives local, and ultimately, national elections.

If you have gridlock at the federal level, more decisions are made at state level.

Many governors are a good prospect for President. They have experience being in the Executive office, and hopefully, have shown that they can get things done, bring people together, etc. etc. etc.

Governors who became president in my life are Ronald Regan, Jimmy Carter, George W. Bush, and Bill Clinton.

Governors Who Became President | Center on the American Governor

Districts are outlined in most states by the state's legislature, so it is an opportunity to draw districts to one party's favor. Additionally, the governor determines at least in part how voting laws are created and enforced, which again, can be tilted for partisan purposes.

They matter for things like gerrymandering, redistricting and climate change. JMHO, of course.

I think the OP is asking why anyone would care who the governor of another state is. Seems pretty clear that the governor of your own state is important.

A few thoughts come to my mind:

- Travel. If you're ever going to travel to that state, you are subject to their laws. Maybe they discriminate against your kind, or don't enforce laws well which encourages more crime, making it unsafe for you. Crime can also bleed into surrounding states.

- Environment. Air and water doesn't just stay in one state, if pollution is unchecked it affects everyone, especially those downwind and downwater from the state.

- Economy, corruption, etc. If a state is mismanaged, will the federal government have to bail them out? Do they give unsustainable tax breaks that take away industry from other states?

- Immigration enforcement. Not going to get deep into this but if they are a border state, what they do clearly impacts a lot of people.

Is that enough?

If you have gridlock at the federal level, more decisions are made at state level.

What might be an example (real or unreal) of a decision (or type of decision) made at the state level due to gridlock at the federal level?

What might be an example (real or unreal) of a decision (or type of decision) made at the state level due to gridlock at the federal level?
10 states with recreational cannibis. 33 with medical. New FDA approved medicine made from cannibis while it's a schedule 1 drug.

Last edited:
Great points! Highly relevant to ER, too. Just think of all the threads about "Where should I retire?"

I think the OP is asking why anyone would care who the governor of another state is. Seems pretty clear that the governor of your own state is important.

A few thoughts come to my mind:

- Travel. If you're ever going to travel to that state, you are subject to their laws. Maybe they discriminate against your kind, or don't enforce laws well which encourages more crime, making it unsafe for you. Crime can also bleed into surrounding states.

- Environment. Air and water doesn't just stay in one state, if pollution is unchecked it affects everyone, especially those downwind and downwater from the state.

- Economy, corruption, etc. If a state is mismanaged, will the federal government have to bail them out? Do they give unsustainable tax breaks that take away industry from other states?

- Immigration enforcement. Not going to get deep into this but if they are a border state, what they do clearly impacts a lot of people.

Is that enough?

Just wanted to point out that immigration enforcement is a Federal responsibility, not State. Yeah we have some State Troopers along the border here, but the Federal presence is considerably higher, and the State Troopers don't really do anything other than watch and occasionally stop a car.

Having a State Governor of the same party of incumbent WH, up for reelection, is seen as helpful to the WH when a State is viewed as competitive or purple.

So, let's say Hawaii is a "must win" state for the WH to win reelection. If the president and Gov of HI are from the same party, then the Pres can/does expect a little help with campaigning, helping promote a president's agenda or push state policies that reinforce it, those things are seen as helpful.

Why does someone else who lives, say, in Arkansas, care? Depends on who they want in the WH/Federal policies. If it's the incumbent, then more Govs matching the Incumbent in those swing states is better for them. If it's not, then...not so much.

Appointees to joint transportation authorities are sometimes made by governors. This has noticeable impact on bridge and track repairs, fare decisions, etc.

Surely a governor's policies would be reflected in the state he/she governs. If said governor is of a particular party and one prefers or does not prefer that parties policies, then sure it is meaningful to the states residents.

Governors also appoint replacements for Federal elected officials--until the next election. And overwhelmingly, those appointed are elected to the position they've been holding.

FWIW - a governor is also commander in chief of the national guard. Based on professional affiliation many years ago, that's a sh!t ton of horsepower and firepower.

Governors also attend conferences together so that they can bring back new ideas to their states. There’s always something new happening.

The biggest reasons to care about governors in other states are threefold to me:

1. Redistricting - States do redistricting. In most states the governor has a big influence on that. Even if the legislature is of the other party the governor can veto. There are states that now have commissions to do this but in general redistricting is at the state level and is hugely important as it makes a big difference in who controls Congress which affects us all.

2. Voting Rights - See above. Governor usually has a big influence on what the legislature does with regard to voting. Not just who gets to vote, but how and when. Think about things like voting hours, locations, etc. Again makes a difference in who controls Congress.

3. What happens in one state can affect the rest of us. If State A is badly run and needs a lot of federal help/money that can affect the rest of us in many ways. Also people may want to move out the state. And, if I was thinking of moving it sure might make a difference in where I chose to move.

FWIW - a governor is also commander in chief of the national guard. Based on professional affiliation many years ago, that's a sh!t ton of horsepower and firepower.

Some states also have a State Guard. Unlike the National Guard they operate and are only subject to the authority of the state that has organized them.

Depends on the state.

Here in the South, traditionally the state legislature has reserved nearly all political power for itself.

Leading one pundit to quip that a Southern governor has all the political power of a "school crossing guard."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom