About Retirement... Wikipedia.

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Another look at the meaning. Excerpt:

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Retirement

Retirement, or the practice of leaving one's job or ceasing to work after reaching a certain age, has been around since around the 18th century. Prior to the 18th century, humans had an average life expectancy between 26 and 40 years. In consequence, only a small percentage of the population reached an age where physical impairments began to be obstacles to working. Countries began to adopt government policies on retirement during the late 19th century and the 20th century, beginning in Germany under Otto von Bismarck.

...More on Wikipedia..

Here you go- a picture!

Attachments

• Life-expectancy-by-age-in-the-UK-1700-to-2013.jpg
    Life-expectancy-by-age-in-the-UK-1700-to-2013.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 50
The data before the 19th century simply isn't adequate to make these kinds of assertions with any authority.

When you read an estimate of life expectancy back then, you can assume the author has made too many assumptions for you to take it at face value. The best you can get is a general impression.

I have seen it repeated hundreds of times, everywhere.

The average lifespan was short because 1 in 5 died in childhood.

Well since you have "seen it repeated hundreds of times, everywhere" it should be easy for you to provide some references supporting your assertion.

What you said doesn't even pass the smell test since people who live past age 10 today don't live to 75 on average. See https://ourworldindata.org/life-expectancy end of Section I.2.

If you repeat a lie often enough it becomes the truth.

Where do you get this crap? Total nonsense. Back in the 18th century if you survived to age 10 you were likely to live to your late 40s.

not in my maternal side of the family .. they worked in the coal mines in the West of England , a quick check of the Census made that very clear

( the females tended to die early giving birth to males liable to die early in the coal mines )

Back
Top Bottom