Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Forum Admin (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f32/)
-   -   Spam popup today (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f32/spam-popup-today-94745.html)

Bestwifeever 11-13-2018 06:16 PM

Spam popup today

Just reporting Iíve been interrupted several times on this site today with a popup to win a $1000 Warlmart (sic) gift card. Of course no way to close the popup although there is a ďcloseĒ link that I am sure would take me to a rogue website. The address bar when thr popup shos (seemingly still within the e-r.org donain) is https://bestgiftsforddplayersit.icu/...1140005543138#

Iím on an iPhone and closed down the browser each time this ad appears but I imagine ending up at the above site could infect a computer.

braumeister 11-13-2018 06:21 PM

If you go into Settings, scroll down and click Safari.
There is a switch "Block Pop-ups" that you can turn off.

Bestwifeever 11-13-2018 06:30 PM

They’re already blocked and fraudulent sites as well, and have been since I got this phone. Just got another one. Will clear cache and cookies but just wanted to raise an alert because I am sure they are from an ad here (and if course we all see different ads so someone else may not get this). Here’s an article on how they appeared to one site’s users and how they were dealt with: https://product.voxmedia.com/2018/1/...to-secure-them

audreyh1 11-13-2018 06:38 PM

Yep - it showed up on my iPad today from this site. I closed out Safari and restarted my iPad, and so far hasn't reappeared. But I got three of them reloading this site in Safari before doing the restart.

audreyh1 11-20-2018 08:18 PM

A few days with no problems but an annoying return this afternoon. I’ve updated to lastest iOS, no difference. It’s caused by whatever ad is being served on this site.

Restart, reload is not helping.

Ready 11-20-2018 08:34 PM

Me too.

Bestwifeever 11-20-2018 09:12 PM

Me too—it disappeared after I reported it but it’s back.

audreyh1 11-20-2018 09:15 PM

It’s likely be one particular ad causing it.

Souschef 11-20-2018 09:48 PM

Slightly off topic, but I would like to send a big THANK YOU to all who warned me about the "YES" thing going on. We were on vacation, and had 2 of these are you"XXX" yes or no, messages on our answering machine.

Midpack 11-21-2018 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2141355)
Yep - it showed up on my iPad today from this site. I closed out Safari and restarted my iPad, and so far hasn't reappeared. But I got three of them reloading this site in Safari before doing the restart.

I got several yesterday too. I clear Settings>Safari>Clear History and Website Data and it goes away, but it comes back later. I installed an AdBlocker which helped for months, but that seems to be failing now too ??? Never ending battle with spammers and (phone) robocallers - Ďainít technology grandí... :mad:

braumeister 11-21-2018 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bestwifeever (Post 2141345)
Just reporting Iíve been interrupted several times on this site today with a popup
Iím on an iPhone and closed down the browser each time this ad appears

Do you have an ad blocker on your iPhone?
I use AdBlock Plus and I never see these things.

audreyh1 11-21-2018 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midpack (Post 2145064)
I got several yesterday too. I clear Settings>Safari>Clear History and Website Data and it goes away, but it comes back later. I installed an AdBlocker which helped for months, but that seems to be failing now too ??? Never ending battle with spammers and (phone) robocallers - ‘ain’t technology grand’... :mad:

I checked my Safari settings, and I have pop ups blocked, etc.

A new adblocker might help. I don’t have one. I guess I’ll have to consider it.

These things pop up after a 7 second delay according to the article linked above. And when they happen for me I can’t shrink the window to see which offending ad is causing it, because the redirect has already started.

MichaelB 11-21-2018 06:28 AM

This looks similar to this https://www.early-retirement.org/foru...pam-90573.html which was also pesky. Spam finding ways around ad blockers and forum filters. Tech support has been alerted.

audreyh1 11-21-2018 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelB (Post 2145071)
This looks similar to this https://www.early-retirement.org/foru...pam-90573.html which was also pesky. Spam finding ways around ad blockers and forum filters. Tech support has been alerted.

It’s exactly the same class of redirecting pop up.

The message begin “Congratulations PSINet User.......”

Well, just as I posted this reply, I got a different pop up notifying me of a $1000 Walmart Gift Card, and redirecting me to fmggiftcenter.ics (I think).

Kelor 11-21-2018 07:23 AM

I’m getting it too

I cleared cache, etc., and it’s still showing up.

tb001 11-21-2018 09:33 AM

I get these routinely from this site and have since I joined. The only one that I visit that seems to have an issue. Some days it’s so bad I just stop browsing threads. It’s easy enough to close down the page on the iPhone, but I always wonder why it only seems to happen here.

Bestwifeever 11-21-2018 09:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just got this one, which also shows the site I automatically was sent to:

Janet H 11-21-2018 10:12 AM

It's a fairly common issue for IOS users and we have little control over the ads that are seen. One thing you can do is to clear your cache and then do a restart as there is probably as cookie picked up somewhere driving the display of the ad.

audreyh1 11-23-2018 07:41 AM

A day’s relief, then popups started up with a vengeance this morning. I finally installed the Wipr ad blocker.

I think Google eventually finds the offending ads and removes them, then another round shows up.

None of the other websites I visit have this pop up spam problem.

Bestwifeever 11-23-2018 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2145924)
A dayís relief, then popups started up with a vengeance this morning. I finally installed the Wipr ad blocker.

I think Google eventually finds the offending ads and removes them, then another round shows up.

None of the other websites I visit have this pop up spam problem.

I donít know what to do with all the gift cards Iím being offered today! And yes, for me itís only this site that is generating them. I think the Fuelly ad was at fault for me moments ago.

Ready 11-23-2018 09:38 PM

I can no longer access this website using Safari on my IPad. I get redirected to these gift card spam sites every time. I have pop up blockers turned on. The iOS app is the only way for me to get to the site now. Has anyone found a way to block these on an IPad?

COcheesehead 11-23-2018 09:40 PM

Suuuuuuper annoying.
FIX IT!

audreyh1 11-23-2018 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ready (Post 2146329)
I can no longer access this website using Safari on my IPad. I get redirected to these gift card spam sites every time. I have pop up blockers turned on. The iOS app is the only way for me to get to the site now. Has anyone found a way to block these on an IPad?

The Wipr app is working for me. $1.99 It uses the native Safari API for content blockers. Once you download and open it, it instructs you to configure a few things in Safari (in settings) and then run it. Then those ads causing the popup redirects are gone!

davemartin88 11-24-2018 06:51 AM

Happening so often on this site only that it is almost unusable. Using an IPad.

MichaelB 11-24-2018 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braumeister (Post 2145068)
Do you have an ad blocker on your iPhone?
I use AdBlock Plus and I never see these things.

I downloaded Adblock Plus (free) to my iPad and have had no new pop-ups

Bestwifeever 11-24-2018 07:33 AM

I can see that an adblocker will help but it is worrisome thst this is the only site that I ever get bombarded with these. I wonder if there’s some vulnerability here that other sites have managed to fix. Or maybe I just need to get out more.

audreyh1 11-24-2018 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bestwifeever (Post 2146401)
I can see that an adblocker will help but it is worrisome thst this is the only site that I ever get bombarded with these. I wonder if thereís some vulnerability here that other sites have managed to fix. Or maybe I just need to get out more.

Itís the only site I was having the problem with. Now no ads due to Wipr.

audreyh1 11-24-2018 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelB (Post 2146392)

DH did some research to pick an ad blocker and found that Adblock Plus was not using the native Safari content blocker API and having some problems with latest iOS Safari versions which is why we chose Wipr.

braumeister 11-24-2018 08:00 AM

I've been using Adblock Plus for quite a while on my phone and it definitely uses Apple's native Safari API. Maybe you read something about an older version or a different similar app? I've seen negative comments about one called Adguard, so maybe that's what you saw?

Ready 11-24-2018 08:02 AM

I've used a variety of adblockers in the past and while they work they seem to create other problems for me. This is the only site I'm having the problem with, and only on my Ipad. I think it's fixable on the admin side but may take some research to figure out the right settings.

Choices 11-24-2018 08:14 AM

Grrrrr. This is soooo annoying! I don’t want a d*mn Walmart anything.

Rianne 11-24-2018 08:20 AM

Ad blockers are great, yet some news sites ask you disable them because that's how they make money to stay alive. I feel guilty sometimes because they're really good sites, LA Times does that. I don't disable.

audreyh1 11-24-2018 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braumeister (Post 2146415)
I've been using Adblock Plus for quite a while on my phone and it definitely uses Apple's native Safari API. Maybe you read something about an older version or a different similar app? I've seen negative comments about one called Adguard, so maybe that's what you saw?

I’ll pass that along to DH.

sengsational 11-24-2018 09:04 AM

No problem on Windows or Android, but I've got "uBlock Origin" on both. That's available for Apple as well.

soupcxan 11-24-2018 11:10 AM

Getting terrible spam pop ups today on the iPad. Forum is unusable.

audreyh1 11-24-2018 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soupcxan (Post 2146503)
Getting terrible spam pop ups today on the iPad. Forum is unusable.

Try an ad blocker like Wipr. That is working for me. What a relief!!!

W2R 11-24-2018 02:18 PM

Wondered what all of this was about, until this morning when I came here on my iPad using the Safari browser, while backing up my Windows laptop (which is what I use here nearly all the time).

WOW!! What an annoying pop-up. I agree with soupcxan, the forum is just unusable using the Safari browser in IOS 12.1 . It just won't go away, although I admit that I haven't tried adding extra ad blocker software like Audreyh1 suggests. But when I went to other websites such as reddit, the pop-up wasn't there.

So far it doesn't appear at all here at the ER Forum on my Windows 10 laptop, using the Edge browser with its built in popup blocker. Score one for Windows 10 (but subtract 1000 for its continual updating fiascos)

easysurfer 11-24-2018 02:31 PM

uBlock Origin is DA Bomb as a popup blocker.

Just sayin' :).

Midpack 11-25-2018 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelB (Post 2146392)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ready (Post 2146419)
I've used a variety of adblockers in the past and while they work they seem to create other problems for me. This is the only site I'm having the problem with, and only on my Ipad. I think it's fixable on the admin side but may take some research to figure out the right settings.

I've reached the point that I won't open ER.org on my iPad, I get spam almost immediately every time now. I don't fire up the PC (no spam there) nearly as often as my iPad.

This happened to me before, but I installed AdBlock Plus on my iPad and it fixed the problem. But it was a version that did not allow me to list exceptions (whitelist), so I switched to the Norton AdBlock for iOS and that has worked fine for months. Then all of a sudden I can't open ER.org on my iPad without spam. It is not happening on any other site or webpage...

So for whatever reason, AdBlock for iOS isn't working anymore, and it is an up to date version.

audreyh1 11-25-2018 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midpack (Post 2146864)
I've reached the point that I won't open ER.org on my iPad, I get spam almost immediately every time now. I don't fire up the PC (no spam there) nearly as often as my iPad.

This happened to me before, but I installed AdBlock Plus on my iPad and it fixed the problem. But it was a version that did not allow me to list exceptions, so I switched to the Norton AdBlock for iOS and that has worked fine for months. Then all of a sudden I can't open ER.org on my iPad without spam. It is not happening on any other site or webpage...

So for whatever reason, AdBlock for iOS isn't working anymore, and it is an up to date version.

Try Wipr?

That stopped the problems on my iPad.

Midpack 11-25-2018 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2146866)
Try Wipr?

That stopped the problems on my iPad.

Thanks I may. Just annoying that users have to keep adapting with newer adblockers, and I have to wonder why it's just happening with one url...

Just_Steve 11-25-2018 12:20 PM

I have never seen an ad or had a pop up on this site from day one of joining.
Safari & Adblock plus.

audreyh1 11-25-2018 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midpack (Post 2146870)
Thanks I may. Just annoying that users have to keep adapting with newer adblockers, and I have to wonder why it's just happening with one url...

I know. I've never used an adblocker before. And it was just happening at this site.

braumeister 11-25-2018 06:05 PM

FWIW, I was curious so I’ve been using Safari on my iPad all day today to browse this forum and a few others. Haven’t seen a single ad, much less any pop ups. So I have to say that Adblock Plus does indeed work, just as reported.

Kelor 11-25-2018 07:45 PM

PLEASE make it stop. This is going to start reducing members quickly.

Popeye 11-25-2018 08:41 PM

If I click the first button and leave it open while opening another tab, I can view this site undisturbed. Is there risk in doing that?

COcheesehead 11-25-2018 09:51 PM

Only site that I get pop ups on. Something just ain’t right.

Bestwifeever 11-25-2018 11:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelor (Post 2147017)
PLEASE make it stop. This is going to start reducing members quickly.

It will likely keep new visitors from returning, who wonít be able to read this thread suggesting adblockers they donít need for other sites.

I think this ad that is not in English triggered the spam I just gotóI grabbed a fast screen cap. I see only the ads across the top of the screen.

stephenson 11-25-2018 11:07 PM

Pop ups take over the page and require clearing history - then recur over and over.

ER needs to fix quickly!!!

LaserSailor 11-26-2018 06:49 AM

I have been getting these pop-ups at this site and on occasion at finance.yahoo.com. I am using a iPad and I just turned off java script in safariís configuration. No more pop-ups! This setting is at Safari->Advanced, toggle JavaScript to off.

COcheesehead 11-26-2018 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaserSailor (Post 2147075)
I have been getting these pop-ups at this site and on occasion at finance.yahoo.com. I am using a iPad and I just turned off java script in safari’s configuration. No more pop-ups! This setting is at Safari->Advanced, toggle JavaScript to off.

Since none of the pop up blockers worked, I will give this a try.

COcheesehead 11-26-2018 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaserSailor (Post 2147075)
I have been getting these pop-ups at this site and on occasion at finance.yahoo.com. I am using a iPad and I just turned off java script in safariís configuration. No more pop-ups! This setting is at Safari->Advanced, toggle JavaScript to off.

So that fix lasted a couple minutes. I couldnít get things like login boxes to show up on other websites.
Back to where I started.

JoeWras 11-26-2018 08:00 AM

No pop ups with firefox on Win 10, but instead firefox complains that a web page is slowing it down, and do I want to stop it?

That web page is ER.org, and it essentially hangs. It is probably related to what others are seeing.

Midpack 11-26-2018 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeWras (Post 2147094)
No pop ups with firefox on Win 10, but instead firefox complains that a web page is slowing it down, and do I want to stop it?

That web page is ER.org, and it essentially hangs. It is probably related to what others are seeing.

I haven't had any problems on my Win PC either. My iPad has been another story altogether, even my iOS AdBlocker stopped working after many months, so I may have to try another. Between online spam and robocallers >:( Ain't technology grand...

sengsational 11-26-2018 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COcheesehead (Post 2147082)
Since none of the pop up blockers worked, I will give this a try.

Did you try uBlock Origin?

tb001 11-26-2018 11:26 AM

There was a brief respite yesterday for a few hours and now it's back. I agree this is a problem the site needs to address. I visit a number of online forums regularly and this is the only one with an ongoing issue. It's been virtually unusable the last few days--you can't even click into a thread.

For all those suggesting ad blockers, that's great, but I'm not really interested in downloading this just to manage a problem that's only happening on one web forum. Unlike others, I don't really mind the ads and I know they help to generate revenue that helps support the forum.

davemartin88 11-26-2018 12:03 PM

I've given up on my Ipad for this site, no issues with any other site and will most likely just stop visiting here as it only works when I'm on the PC. I tried adblock and wipr, works for an hour or so, then stops so really believe this is a erorg issue and not going to keep trying to fix it from my end. Best of luck to others but think it's time to move on.

Clone 11-26-2018 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bestwifeever (Post 2145955)
I donít know what to do with all the gift cards Iím being offered today!

I used a couple of the gift cards to pay my IRS bill... /s

steelyman 11-26-2018 12:40 PM

Spam popup today

I hope this situation is resolved soon. I donít own an iPad but have been thinking of buying one. The pop ups sound terrible.

For what itís worth, most of my use of e-r.org is through i{Phone,Touch} (using the app) and Chromebook (using Chrome). Iíve had no spam pop ups at all.

Cessna152 11-26-2018 04:23 PM

(1) Fix the damn broken https security for one!
If you start at https://www.early-retirement.org youíll start out with a secure TLS end-to-end link but as soon as you click on ďnew postsĒ it reverts to a plain-text link. Ugh! Anyone browsing this site on a public Wifi network opens their account to hacking. Donít use the same password for this site you use for anything else.

(2) The owners of the site are failing to do due-diligence on who they sell ads. It isnít clear they care. Ideally the site would be member-supported and no ads, but once turned over to a commercial operator that is now unlikely to ever happen.

Alan 11-27-2018 07:59 AM

We have decided to table this discussion for now and sticky it to keep it available for view at the top of the forum. Tech support are aware of the problem and have commented within the thread.

Thanks for raising this ongoing issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBzJGckMYO4