Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Blow That Dough! - 2019 (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/blow-that-dough-2019-a-95591.html)

Music Lover 04-13-2019 03:31 PM

We're visiting GF's sister and hubby in the next province. She used to work for a high end bathroom/fireplace store and used her contacts to get me a shower pan, glass doors, and shower fixtures at dealer cost for my upcoming ensuite build. As thanks we took them out for supper last night then went to a couple different bars checking out the local bands. Food, drinks, and cover charges were on me...I spent about $400 last night.

ShokWaveRider 04-13-2019 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robnplunder (Post 2221916)
$3500 for painting the house exterior. Money very well spent.

Agreed!!! That is about what we paid.

Winemaker 04-13-2019 07:15 PM

$8400 on new roof and gutters on rental property purchased 20 years ago this month. Paid $78,000 in 1999, has grossed over $240,000! I'm 60 yo and if it needs another roof in 20 years, I'll be 1) dead 2) too senile to care 3) put another one on.

audreyh1 04-13-2019 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 2221475)
There were several posts by different people on the "Blow That Dough! - 2018" thread this week, that belonged on this thread instead. Maybe it was one of those? Either way, one of the mods or admins could move those posts and close that thread. I gave up my super-duper-admin powers so I can't do that stuff any more.

I really think I posted on the eat out or not thread.

audreyh1 04-13-2019 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacergal (Post 2221804)
$100 for a prime rib roast, cooked to perfection on the traeger for dinner with the kids today. Yum!

$100!

I have one in the freezer I will do on the new Traeger soon, but I think it only cost me $42.

I’m sure it’s much smaller.

nativenewenglander 04-14-2019 03:51 AM

We bought two ultra light canoes made of a kevlar and carbon fiber matrix.
Hers is 10'6" Wee Lassie 14 lbs
His is 13' 18 lbs
We both got carbon fiber kayak paddles for them which weigh 20 ounces.
The whole package was $4000
We've been paddling a 1929 Old Town canoe that weighs 71 lbs.
All we need now is for the ice and snow to melt off the lakes.

Nature Lover 04-14-2019 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 2221881)
Oh! That sounds so nice. When you decide on one and buy it, I'd love to know all about it and what you think of it, especially the adjustable base. I'm not ready for a new mattress quite yet but have had mine 17+ years so probably I will be soon. So, I am interested in your choices because I am trying to figure out what would be best. In my case I would not be looking for "cheap" as much as for "wonderfully comfortable", so Temper-Pedic is not out of the question unless it gets too hot or is less than perfect for some other reason. The adjustable base sounds extremely interesting since I am growing older (who knew this would ever happen? :laugh: ). Anyway being able to tilt the bed might help with the aches and pains of aging or whatever, especially if the setup is high enough to be easy on the knees when getting in and out of bed.

I'll post an update afterwards. There's a flagship store in Walnut Creek, which is relatively close to me, and I've been able to test out various mattresses and the adjustable base....and they are very comfortable.

RunningBum 04-20-2019 08:59 PM

Just booked a trip to Iceland. Paid a bit more for exit row seats, and 4 of the 6 nights lodging are over $300/night. I hear food is really pricey there too.

athena53 04-24-2019 09:36 AM

Well, now I don't feel so guilty.

I've been looking for a good underwater camera but couldn't find one with consistently good reviews; many started with, "This camera worked really well till I used it under water..." On my last trip, the guides and several passengers on my cruise all had the Olympus Tough camera and loved it- in fact, I "borrowed" a couple of their underwater shots for my blog since I didn't have any equipment I could use on our snorkeling expeditions.

Today, just out of curiosity, I got on the Costco site to see if they had it. Of course they did- at a very good price compared to others I'd seen. The price was good only for 4 days. Of course! What the heck- I fell for it despite having had a couple of nasty minor financial shocks this month. It's on its way- for about $400 all-in, including some accessories included.

Gotta practice before I go to Hawaii in November!

SumDay 04-24-2019 09:42 AM

Just called the HVAC guy and told them to go ahead with the install of the new high-efficiency 2-stage AC and furnace, if they'd throw in a wi-fi thermostat. I hate spending money on stuff like this, but I also like being warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

HFWR 04-24-2019 09:49 AM

$6800 for new windows. Debating whether to spend $8900 on new landscaping...

W2R 04-24-2019 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumDay (Post 2227079)
Just called the HVAC guy and told them to go ahead with the install of the new high-efficiency 2-stage AC and furnace, if they'd throw in a wi-fi thermostat. I hate spending money on stuff like this, but I also like being warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

Getting my entire HVAC system replaced with a new Trane system, back in 2016, in my opinion has already been worth many times what it cost.

It's wonderful to be so perfectly comfortable always, even in our hot New Orleans summers. Besides, it uses less energy so my electric bills went down.

W2R 04-24-2019 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HFWR (Post 2227090)
$6800 for new windows. Debating whether to spend $8900 on new landscaping...

What made you decide to get new windows? Was this a decorating decision, or did you do it to save energy, or was the glass getting fogged up, or what? "Enquiring minds want to know". Mainly, because I wonder if I need new windows and just don't know it yet because I don't understand what should trigger the decision to buy new windows. I regard you as being pretty sensible about things like buying windows.

HFWR 04-24-2019 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 2227116)
What made you decide to get new windows? Was this a decorating decision, or did you do it to save energy, or was the glass getting fogged up, or what? "Enquiring minds want to know". Mainly, because I wonder if I need new windows and just don't know it yet because I don't understand what should trigger the decision to buy new windows. I regard you as being pretty sensible about things like buying windows.

Windows had already lost their seal when I moved in, nineteen years ago... [emoji15]

Basically, this finally rose to the top of the list.

W2R 04-24-2019 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HFWR (Post 2227128)
Windows had already lost their seal when I moved in, nineteen years ago... [emoji15]

Basically, this finally rose to the top of the list.

Oh, OK!! Good to know what you were looking at when you made that decision. I think my windows still have their seal, so I am probably OK. Thanks.

aja8888 04-24-2019 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 2227138)
Oh, OK!! Good to know what you were looking at when you made that decision. I think my windows still have their seal, so I am probably OK. Thanks.

My ROMEO group has several "well to do" retirees and they are now "doing the Jones thing" with each other on window replacements. The first one spent near $30K having ALL their windows replaced so that "when he is gone" his "DW would be safer" (I don't understand this logic). Now the next guy is having his windows replaced in order to "keep up" with the other guy.

Plus, another fellow in the group is getting quotes on mew windows since his are losing the plastic beveled fillers where the pane meets the trim (those are replaceable, BTW).

It's so funny as these houses came with great windows less than 20 years ago when built. No one has mentioned "energy savings" because many of us in the group can easily dispute that as a reason to get new windows.

On one person's new windows, squirrels are chewing on the plastic frames, literally destroying them. He can't get them to stop and is having a fit over this.:facepalm:

The Cosmic Avenger 04-24-2019 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 2227116)

I've always read that, despite what most windows salespeople will tell you, it would take quite a few decades for even the most energy-efficient windows to pay for themselves, which is why window replacement is a tough decision, there's likely no clear savings advantage. We had window tinting professionally applied to the southern windows (which also happen to be the largest ones), and that helped us cope with the original early 1970s windows for a few years, but when we lost the screen for the bedroom window and I could not get a replacement frame made, I decided that it was time for the 40+ year old windows to be replaced....mostly so I could open the bedroom window on cool summer evenings. The fact that they are better insulated, do not need extra tinting, and open and close much more easily was all just a bonus.

athena53 04-24-2019 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger (Post 2227160)
I've always read that, despite what most windows salespeople will tell you, it would take quite a few decades for even the most energy-efficient windows to pay for themselves, which is why window replacement is a tough decision, there's likely no clear savings advantage.

I think that's true of most energy-saving moves- you never make up the original cost. I replaced most of my windows over a period of a few years because there was condensation between the panes, which we knew when we bought the 20-year-old house. We anticipated that in our offer, although naturally we didn't anticipate ENOUGH. I also replaced the curtains and blinds with plantation shutters after that. Not cheap at all, even from Costco, but some R-value in cold weather and it's going to significantly cut the sun load in the kitchen, which is the room I use most since I have my computer here.

The Cosmic Avenger 04-24-2019 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 2227155)
My ROMEO group has several "well to do" retirees and they are now "doing the Jones thing" with each other on window replacements. The first one spent near $30K having ALL their windows replaced so that "when he is gone" his "DW would be safer" (I don't understand this logic).

Wow! We spent $8800 for all our middle-of-the-line windows, and they are double paned and argon filled. And like I said, we lived with those windows for over 15 years, at which time they were over 40 years old. But our house is not much over 2,000 sq. ft., it was 9 windows total, although some are fairly big.

aja8888 04-24-2019 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger (Post 2227179)
Wow! We spent $8800 for all our middle-of-the-line windows, and they are double paned and argon filled. And like I said, we lived with those windows for over 15 years, at which time they were over 40 years old. But our house is not much over 2,000 sq. ft., it was 9 windows total, although some are fairly big.

That $30K window job was for over 30 windows and a french door (4,500 sq ft house). Crazy.

HFWR 04-24-2019 11:38 AM

Unfortunately, all of my windows have condensation between the panes. The current windows are ďfunctionalĒ, I suppose, but detract from aesthetics/curb appeal, and by extension, the homeís value.

Not expecting any dramatic drop in the cost of utilities...

W2R 04-24-2019 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 2227155)
On one person's new windows, squirrels are chewing on the plastic frames, literally destroying them. He can't get them to stop and is having a fit over this.:facepalm:

What a nightmare! I'm glad I had all those very old/dying oak trees removed when I first bought this house. The squirrel population on my property went to almost zero after I did.
Quote:

when we lost the screen for the bedroom window and I could not get a replacement frame made, I decided that it was time for the 40+ year old windows to be replaced....mostly so I could open the bedroom window on cool summer evenings.

I know many people like to sleep with the windows open, but I sleep better with them closed because I feel safer from intruders.
Quote:

Originally Posted by athena53 (Post 2227176)
I think that's true of most energy-saving moves- you never make up the original cost.

That's for sure.
Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 2227182)
That $30K window job was for over 30 windows and a french door (4,500 sq ft house). Crazy.

Now, I could see getting my double French doors replaced because one of them is a "fake" door and isn't intended to open. So, although they look like double doors which could be useful for bringing large items into and out of the house, they aren't. But this is not really at the top of my list of fun things to pay for. And, if I converted them to true double doors, I'd have to figure out a foolproof way to ensure that they would never, ever blow open, even in hurricane conditions. That happened once with the double doors at my old house, during Hurricane Isaac when we were evacuated, and what a mess - - carpet, drywall, everything had to go.
Quote:

Originally Posted by HFWR (Post 2227185)
Unfortunately, all of my windows have condensation between the panes. The current windows are “functional”, I suppose, but detract from aesthetics/curb appeal, and by extension, the home’s value.

Not expecting any dramatic drop in the cost of utilities...

I hate having that condensation, which was a problem at my old house but not here because my windows and French doors are all single paned.

Music Lover 04-24-2019 12:54 PM

Quote:

I've always read that, despite what most windows salespeople will tell you, it would take quite a few decades for even the most energy-efficient windows to pay for themselves, which is why window replacement is a tough decision, there's likely no clear savings advantage.

Even though I know that the payback is very long when I replaced my windows a decade ago I went with triple pane. But, I live in a harsh winter climate and did it for the comfort factor...when it's -35 you can stand near the window and not feel a chill. A bonus is that they also block out a lot more noise than basic double panes.

braumeister 04-24-2019 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Music Lover (Post 2227249)
A bonus is that they also block out a lot more noise than basic double panes.

Yes, triple pane windows are really great at sound protection, but obviously that comes at a high cost.

I've often read that it's overkill for most people unless they live close to a busy highway or noisy city street. But of course in your case the climate control is another very valuable feature so I think it makes sense where you live.

I'm debating it for when we get around to window replacement. Fairly close to a highway and also a busy hospital (sirens at all hours).

RobbieB 04-24-2019 01:11 PM

New windows all around is on our list too. Already replaced the big sliding glass door at $3800, seven more (much smaller) to go.

Music Lover 04-24-2019 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braumeister (Post 2227252)
Yes, triple pane windows are really great at sound protection, but obviously that comes at a high cost.

I've often read that it's overkill for most people unless they live close to a busy highway or noisy city street. But of course in your case the climate control is another very valuable feature so I think it makes sense where you live.

I'm debating it for when we get around to window replacement. Fairly close to a highway and also a busy hospital (sirens at all hours).

I don't remember them being that much more money but maybe that's because they're very common up here. They may come at a premium in moderate climates.

I actually didn't even consider the noise reduction factor as my main goal was comfort...it was only after I installed them that I noticed how much quieter it was.

ls99 04-24-2019 01:36 PM

Had triple pane low E windows installed maybe five years ago. Well worth the $$$, both in terms of heat loss/gain and noise block. They were custom made by Marvin. As an added benefit they open in. Makes for easy cleaning. And can also be tilted in. For ventilation.

MBAustin 04-24-2019 03:14 PM

We remodeled our retirement house before we moved in 9 years ago, and since so much NEEDED to be done, I decided not to replace the kitchen/breakfast room tile. I've regretted the decision for at least 8.5 years, and finally decided to replace it. Demo is scheduled for next Wednesday and tile guy will start Thursday.

Also decided to replace 15 year old water heaters. Found out we really only need one, and they will also install a recirculating pump and crossover valve which reduces both energy and water use (much faster to get hot water to the faucets and less cold water going into the tank). Had considered going tankless but the electrical work required convinced us otherwise. Next project will be to convert the hallway water heater closet into a usable closet, probably for linens and cleaning supplies, which will be quite nice.

Idnar7 04-24-2019 05:15 PM

We replaced all our windows and the main thing I noticed was the huge decrease in traffic noise. We live on a fairly busy street near a high school. But it also helped with the winter drafts here in frigid MN. Previously we had to keep curtains/blinds closed to be comfortable. When it is freezing here it is usually sunny, and you have the feeling of warmth seeing the sun.

pb4uski 04-24-2019 08:34 PM

DW wants to replace the windows in our ~50 yo condo. There are 15 of them. While they are nothing to write how about the do open and close, no fogging, and all have screens (some of which I have replaced). I'm not keen on it... a lot of $$$ for little benefit.

Given that we spent $700 on electricity for the entire year in 2018, even if new windows saved 1/2 of that the payback is virtually nothing. There is the sound factor... DW is sensitive... I'm not... perhaps I'll just buy her an outstanding set of earplugs.

So how much would 15 - 36"w x 48"h double-hung windows cost? I'm guessing at least $15k and more like $30k.

HFWR 04-24-2019 11:10 PM

Blow That Dough! - 2019

Quote:

Originally Posted by pb4uski (Post 2227455)
DW wants to replace the windows in our ~50 yo condo. There are 15 of them. While they are nothing to write how about the do open and close, no fogging, and all have screens (some of which I have replaced). I'm not keen on it... a lot of $$$ for little benefit.

Given that we spent $700 on electricity for the entire year in 2018, even if new windows saved 1/2 of that the payback is virtually nothing. There is the sound factor... DW is sensitive... I'm not... perhaps I'll just buy her an outstanding set of earplugs.

So how much would 15 - 36"w x 48"h double-hung windows cost? I'm guessing at least $15k and more like $30k.

Iím replacing thirteen windows, various sizes, with alleged mid-grade vinyl windows, for $6850.

Winemaker 04-25-2019 05:37 AM

Quote:

I recently got a quote for 2 Andersen 36"x48" windows for a rental unit for $2700. I laughed so hard, he left immediately.

pb4uski 04-25-2019 08:38 AM

So unless a window is broken or not operating properly, I just don't see the value proposition when my annual electric bill (including HVAC) is only $700 a year.

CardsFan 04-25-2019 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pb4uski (Post 2227640)
So unless a window is broken or not operating properly, I just don't see the value proposition when my annual electric bill (including HVAC) is only $700 a year.

I think I just found your value proposition ;D

Quote:

DW wants to replace the windows in our ~50 yo condo. T

pb4uski 04-25-2019 02:33 PM

Perhaps at your house. :laugh:

Idnar7 04-25-2019 02:42 PM

In 2010 we replaced 12 windows and our front door for $9999. They are vinyl windows that open in for cleaning. They replaced 30 year old wood windows that were drafty and noisy.

athena53 04-27-2019 09:20 AM

In another spending category: Just put down a deposit on a trip to the Galapagos in March, 2020 with Overseas Adventure Travel; I took them to India and Nepal last year and was VERY impressed and they don't charge a Single Supplement. I'd joked that I wanted to go there so I could see a blue-footed booby- and then I saw them in the Sea of Cortez last month. Well, I'm going to the Galapagos anyway.

I am SO blessed!

Lawrencewendall 04-27-2019 10:13 AM

Just blew 1k on 4 cases of steaks and chicken. Does that count?

GravitySucks 04-27-2019 11:33 AM

Hired a roofer to tear off a double layer of shingles and replace with verigated architectural shingle. It looks great!
Not really a Blow the Dough thing but it put a dent in this year's spending.
Went with the 30 year shingles instead of the 40 year ones as I don't think I'll be able to climb up there to put the second layer on at 100 years old.

davebarnes 04-28-2019 05:16 PM

Art from Tracey Barnes (no relation) of Denver.
https://static1.squarespace.com/stat..._111422141.jpg

Dtail 04-28-2019 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawrencewendall (Post 2228688)
Just blew 1k on 4 cases of steaks and chicken. Does that count?

Getting into RobbieB territory.

socca 05-01-2019 08:00 PM

Lately I've occasionally been buying DVD-based courses from The Great Courses. It feels kinda like blowing that dough, because after I finish the course, what do I do with the DVD set? Donate them to the library? I already subscribe to DVDs-by-mail from NetFlix and also check movies and documentary DVDs out of the library.

On the positive side, in general I've been pleased with the quality of the courses I've purchased. Also, it's nice to financially support a company that is disseminating our scientific and cultural heritage to folks who otherwise might be "tuned out".

I recently finished 12 hours (24 lectures) on emergency medicine. I've never been to an emergency room (emergency department), so learning what it is like to be an ER patient and doctor was fascinating. The way people drive here in Florida, an ER visit may be in my future, and now I'm better prepared. ;D

Octogirl 05-01-2019 08:42 PM

Blowing $3 k on summer trip to SoCal CAn't wait

RobbieB 05-01-2019 09:08 PM

Got a contract on painting the exterior of the house, $2800. Work starts in 2 weeks.

scrinch 05-01-2019 10:31 PM

We blew a little over $8000 to replace all the heating ducts beneath our house after they got infested by rats. We put in AlumaFlex ducts that are supposed to be "almost" rodent-proof. We also replaced the rat-chewed access doors to the crawl-space to keep those creepy disgusting little buggers out from under the house.

We're slowly replacing the 16 windows in the house. We installed new vinyl windows when we did major work on the house in 1999, and we're slowly using the lifetime warranty to replace them as they lose their vacuum seals. so far we've replaced 8 at no charge.

I'll be doing three fishing trips this year to Mexico and Alaska for $3000-4000 each. I think that counts as blowing the dough, although I will bring home about 200 lbs of filets to help offset the cost of the trips.

RobbieB 05-01-2019 10:43 PM

Send me some Halibut!

scrinch 05-01-2019 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2230977)
Send me some Halibut!

Next time I pass through central CA I'll bring you some. What town?

robnplunder 05-01-2019 11:58 PM

$5000 to DS for his graduate school graduation gift.

Sanstar 05-02-2019 05:39 AM

Ford 150 King Ranch to replace 10 year old Expedition and pull Airstream for annual 2 week trip to Dakotas in Aug and shorter ones in between. Love the adaptive cruise control, cameras and tow mirrors!

Ronstar 05-02-2019 06:14 AM

^Nice! Perfect way to blow some dough!

athena53 05-02-2019 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socca (Post 2230940)
Lately I've occasionally been buying DVD-based courses from The Great Courses. It feels kinda like blowing that dough, because after I finish the course, what do I do with the DVD set? Donate them to the library?

You can get a decent price for them on e-Bay, too. I LOVE The Great Courses!

braumeister 05-02-2019 06:25 AM

Yes, they're popular on ebay, so no problem getting rid of them. I've bought too many of them, but for the last few years I just get the download version. No worries about what to do with physical discs and easy to store on my phone or pad when traveling. I love listening while driving.

The Cosmic Avenger 05-02-2019 07:04 AM

Not that big of an expense, but I pulled the trigger on WhiskyFest tickets for NYC this year, since the friends I usually go with decided to go again (after we took off last year), and there was an early bird discount that expired on Sunday. We sometimes get all of our families together, which for me means getting a hotel room downtown, and probably theater tickets for them while we're attending the whisky tastings.

If anyone else here is going, PM me if you want to say hi.

Chuckanut 05-06-2019 11:54 AM

I finally did buy that Breville Compact Convection oven I have been looking at for a year. $138 for what some consider a glorified toaster oven!

skipro33 05-06-2019 03:42 PM

I converted most all of my yard tools from 2 stroke gas to battery. These things are great! No messing with fuel mixes, hard start, storing, etc. I have a weed eater, chain saw, blower and an angle grinder along with a drill and driver set. All use the same battery. I have 8 batteries and charger for 4 at a time. Much quieter and no worries about putting them away until next time. I'll get the mower as well soon.

Just_Steve 05-06-2019 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skipro33 (Post 2233209)
I converted most all of my yard tools from 2 stroke gas to battery. These things are great! No messing with fuel mixes, hard start, storing, etc. I have a weed eater, chain saw, blower and an angle grinder along with a drill and driver set. All use the same battery. I have 8 batteries and charger for 4 at a time. Much quieter and no worries about putting them away until next time. I'll get the mower as well soon.

What brand?

The Cosmic Avenger 05-06-2019 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger (Post 2231039)
Not that big of an expense, but I pulled the trigger on WhiskyFest tickets for NYC this year, since the friends I usually go with decided to go again (after we took off last year), and there was an early bird discount that expired on Sunday. We sometimes get all of our families together, which for me means getting a hotel room downtown, and probably theater tickets for them while we're attending the whisky tastings.

If anyone else here is going, PM me if you want to say hi.

Oy. Now I'm regretting even this moderate splurge. We're going to Blow That Dough on a five-figure vet bill. As long as our horse survives, it will be worth it, I can live on ramen and hooch instead of good scotch and craft beer, I did it during college!

Souschef 05-06-2019 05:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
On our recent cruise in Alaska, we went on the White Pass a & Yukon Railroad. Our ship offered a VIP car for $350 a person. It was so well worth it! Rather than sitting on wooden benches with 40 people,, we only had 12 passengers. The seats were overstuffed swiveling leather club chairs. We were also served hors d'oeuvres and beer and wine. It was a great experience.

skipro33 05-06-2019 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Steve (Post 2233232)
What brand?

Makita
The tools use 2 each, 18 volt batteries for a total of 36 volts. The chain saw as especially impressive. I had 4 downed oak trees from winter and the saw did a great job of chopping them up. I'd say I can cut half a cord on a pair of batteries.

The blower is also nice as it's adjustable. From very low to more blow than my backpack Husqvarna. Low is nice for the garage as it doesn't blow everything around. Also nice for flower beds with bark mulch to remove leaves. High will blow anything I want.

The string trimmer has two speeds; slow and fast. Slow is nice for grass edging and high for tall weeds. If weeds wrap around the head and clog it, there's a reverse on it to clear the foul. Very nice!

The angle grinder is nice as it shuts off almost as soon as you release the trigger. Much safer than my electric AC powered grinder. If I catch it on something, instead of jumping hard, it trips off line, again, saving me from harming myself. I used it for sharpening my mower's blade. Worked great!

I previously bought the multi tool. A neat saw that gets into blind spots. For example; if you want to remove base board trim, this will slip between the wall the trim to cut the nails without any damage to either.

I also have the circular saw and a job site radio with blue tooth. The radio has exceptional receiver sensitivity. I live way out in the country and it picks up stations just fine. The radio audio quality is better than anything I've heard of this type.

I also have a sawsall. It's very powerful and will cut heavy steel or wood with nails in it.

I also got a battery powered backpack weed sprayer. Holds 4 gallons. So nice not to have to pump my old back pack sprayer all the time. The battery lasts several fill-ups on the sprayer. It's not Makita, I don't recall what brand it is, but I got it at Tractor Supply. The Makita tools I got from Amazon. They have several package deals. If you get them, get the set with the extra batteries and charger. Battery/chargers by themselves are very pricey.

Lewis Clark 05-06-2019 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by athena53 (Post 2228652)
In another spending category: Just put down a deposit on a trip to the Galapagos in March, 2020 with Overseas Adventure Travel; I took them to India and Nepal last year and was VERY impressed and they don't charge a Single Supplement. I'd joked that I wanted to go there so I could see a blue-footed booby- and then I saw them in the Sea of Cortez last month. Well, I'm going to the Galapagos anyway.

I am SO blessed!

We went to the Galapagos about 3 years ago, through National Geographic. Great trip! You will love it there!

HI Bill 05-06-2019 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuckanut (Post 2233096)
I finally did buy that Breville Compact Convection oven I have been looking at for a year. $138 for what some consider a glorified toaster oven!

We have the original, and paid ~$250 for it...well worth it, IMHO. We rarely use the regular oven anymore, except to cook cookie sheet sized pizzas and Dutch babies. We've probably saved that much in electricity.

The Breville is stellar for pizza, good for toast, great for reheating, and good for cooking. My wife's only complaint is that it doesn't have a low enough temperature to use for dough rising.

socca 05-06-2019 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skipro33 (Post 2233209)
I converted most all of my yard tools from 2 stroke gas to battery. These things are great! No messing with fuel mixes, hard start, storing, etc.

I'm converting my yard tools from corded to cordless for the same reason - convenience. I need 150' of electrical cord for some of my yard work. It's a real pain to mess around with a cord. So far, I just have an Ego Tools blower, which I like. I'm planning to buy a hedge trimmer and a string trimmer down the road. The tools are pricey but considering how much time I spend on yard work, it will be worth it. I like the Ego blower design. (BTW: I also use the blower inside the house; with all-tile floors, I can do that - it's much faster than sweeping :) ).

Just_Steve 05-07-2019 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skipro33 (Post 2233241)
Makita

Truncated.

Thank you, very informative. I will check into The Makita.

audreyh1 05-07-2019 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HNL Bill (Post 2233278)
The Breville is stellar for pizza, good for toast, great for reheating, and good for cooking. My wife's only complaint is that it doesn't have a low enough temperature to use for dough rising.

You donít need warmth for dough rising. Heck, Iíve let some doughs rise in the fridge! A long slow rise can result in more flavor.

skipro33 05-08-2019 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Steve (Post 2233867)
Truncated.

Thank you, very informative. I will check into The Makita.

I went with Makita, starting with the drill and driver because my contractor had them and I was impressed how well the driver would drive lag bolts used to build my log home.

Another excellent brand is Milwaukee. I hired a carpenter to do a project who had them and they were very rugged.

I had DeWalt stuff, but the batteries didn't last worth beans. My battery powered SawsAll batteries died after just a year and replacements were $100. The saw with batteries was only $120 or so. I figured the heck with that and went with the Makita since the original tools and batteries were still viable more than 7 years later.

Nature Lover 05-08-2019 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 2221881)
Oh! That sounds so nice. When you decide on one and buy it, I'd love to know all about it and what you think of it, especially the adjustable base. I'm not ready for a new mattress quite yet but have had mine 17+ years so probably I will be soon. So, I am interested in your choices because I am trying to figure out what would be best. In my case I would not be looking for "cheap" as much as for "wonderfully comfortable", so Temper-Pedic is not out of the question unless it gets too hot or is less than perfect for some other reason. The adjustable base sounds extremely interesting since I am growing older (who knew this would ever happen? :laugh: ). Anyway being able to tilt the bed might help with the aches and pains of aging or whatever, especially if the setup is high enough to be easy on the knees when getting in and out of bed.

W2R,

I promised an update, and here it is. I purchased the Tempur Adapt-Pro Medium Firm mattress with the Ergo-Extend adjustable base. The mattress is wonderful - I've had it for ~3 weeks and it has broken in nicely. The base is wonderful...but I don't adjust it much. Here's my take related to some of your stated interests. First, the mattress is wonderfully comfortable...but it's a memory foam like (Tempur material) mattress - so it isolates movement, making it hard to move around. It is a heavier mattress (~100 lbs, I think), and the adjustable base can move so that it's easier to make the bed without having to lift the mattress much. That's nice. However, if you've never had an adjustable base (and I hadn't), you should know that 1) when you move the base up and down, regular sheets will come away from the bed corners, so buying special sheets that better grip the corners or buying "sheet suspenders" to better hold the sheets in place is something to strongly consider; and 2) I don't think I'd recommend this as an aid for getting in/out of bed, unless it's just to help you sit up. For me, the effort to get in/out of bed is about the same with or without the adjustable base. I think this is mostly because of the foam mattress. Maybe a hybrid (part foam, part inner spring) would be better for getting in/out easier - I don't know. Lastly, know that foam mattresses are notoriously hot, which can be troubling if you're a hot sleeper. I'm not, but I have noticed that it's a little warmer than my old mattress.

Anyway, that's what I can say so far. I'm sleeping well, and that's the most important thing. Glad I made the purchase and I'm sure I'll enjoy it for many years to come.

NL

W2R 05-08-2019 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nature Lover (Post 2234330)
W2R,

I promised an update, and here it is. [...]

Thank you!!! GREAT information and it will be very helpful to me and others. Thanks again. :)

RunningBum 05-08-2019 07:54 PM

I have an adjustable base frame. It's really nice for reading and watching TV in bed (especially reading). For sleeping, I find if I have it slightly elevated, I breath better.

I also got a memory foam mattress. It's got a gel layer that helps with the heat issue. I read a lot of reviews that people sleep really well on them since you tend to sink in and not roll around, but I'm a pretty restless sleeper and wake up a lot with this like I did my regular mattress.

RobbieB 05-09-2019 08:07 PM

2 nights at the Peppermill in Reno. Jacuzzi suite. 2 massages at the spa. Three wonderful meals and a snack. Twelve hundred bucks.

And I lost a hundred playing poker. But Kelly won six hundred playing penny slots!

Going back soon - :)

kgtest 05-10-2019 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2234910)
2 nights at the Peppermill in Reno. Jacuzzi suite. 2 massages at the spa. Three wonderful meals and a snack. Twelve hundred bucks.

And I lost a hundred playing poker. But Kelly won six hundred playing penny slots!

Going back soon - :)

Sounds lke fun. So now we know who the lucky one AND the good looking one is. Thr first road trip I took with now DW we headed down to the St Louis riverboat casinos. Original destination was the V rod harley factory and BBQ in Kansas City. Somehow we even ended up down in Branson...anywho on the way home we sropped on that floating casino and she wins $600 on a nickel slot. Being a poor broke lad that made our days and paid for our entire trip lol. I kmew she was a keeper when I found out she was down for adventure AND lucky. Sounds like Kelly and Robbie are an older version of us

Dash man 05-17-2019 11:36 AM

Waiting for deliver of a new LG C9 65 inch Class 4K Smart OLED TV w/ AI ThinQ[emoji768] I purchased from Costco. Also ordered seven new windows from Renewal by Andersen, and scheduled to have a new coat of asphalt put on my driveway. Itís been an expensive week.

kimcdougc 05-17-2019 12:14 PM

Just got back from 3 days/nights in New York. DH and I left from New York on a Transatlantic Cruise for 14 days. Visited 5 countries (Ireland, Belgium, France, UK, and ended in Amsterdam. Spend 2 days there. Flew first class home to New York, spend the night there and got home on Monday. All in all we spend about $9,000 give or take. Had a blast but won't be doing anymore Transatlantic cruises. We had 4 days/nights of high swells at 18 feet. All doors on boat were locked for safety. Don't need to do that again, but we can say we have done it and marked it off of our bucket list. Good times.

Now planning a rv trip to the NE in the fall to do the New England states. Can't take it with you.

The Cosmic Avenger 05-17-2019 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimcdougc (Post 2238254)
Just got back from 3 days/nights in New York. DH and I left from New York on a Transatlantic Cruise for 14 days. Visited 5 countries (Ireland, Belgium, France, UK, and ended in Amsterdam. Spend 2 days there. Flew first class home to New York, spend the night there and got home on Monday. All in all we spend about $9,000 give or take. Had a blast but won't be doing anymore Transatlantic cruises. We had 4 days/nights of high swells at 18 feet. All doors on boat were locked for safety. Don't need to do that again, but we can say we have done it and marked it off of our bucket list. Good times.

Now planning a rv trip to the NE in the fall to do the New England states. Can't take it with you.

WOW, just the two first-class flights OR a 14-day European cruise for two people could have been $9K alone, you must be a world-class deal hunter!

explanade 05-17-2019 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dash man (Post 2238234)
Waiting for deliver of a new LG C9 65 inch Class 4K Smart OLED TV w/ AI ThinQ[emoji768]

This year's model.

Does Costco have good prices?

Dash man 05-17-2019 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by explanade (Post 2238445)
This year's model.

Does Costco have good prices?

Not at the moment with a brand new model. But they do offer the free extended warranty, 2% cash back and free delivery.

Dtail 05-17-2019 07:20 PM

Bought a new Mazda CX-5 SUV today for 29k all in. Plan to keep it for many years.
DGF had totaled our Civic, but thank god no injuries.

Souschef 05-17-2019 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dtail (Post 2238502)
Bought a new Mazda CX-5 SUV today for 29k all in. Plan to keep it for many years.
DGF had totaled our Civic, but thank god no injuries.

DW bought one last year after her 98 Caddy died. She loves the adaptive cruise control and the Bluetooth connection to the speakers in the car. Use it in good health.

Dtail 05-17-2019 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Souschef (Post 2238534)
DW bought one last year after her 98 Caddy died. She loves the adaptive cruise control and the Bluetooth connection to the speakers in the car. Use it in good health.

Thanks Souschef. Same to you and the DW.

RobbieB 05-17-2019 09:09 PM

Good for you! A brand new car is a great way to blow that dough.

The Cosmic Avenger 05-18-2019 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Souschef (Post 2238534)

Oh, yes, our 2017 Subaru Outback was our first new car in 11 years, and it was a HUGE step up. It was our first one with BT, navigation, adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist, collision warning/avoidance, heated seats, power seats, and probably more that I'm forgetting. I joke that the car is smarter than we are.

Osprey 05-19-2019 02:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bought a new kayak sized for small to medium sized paddlers and weights 35 lbs for $1100. Eddyline Rio.Attachment 31570

Revlefty 05-19-2019 06:17 AM

Sweet!!!!!! Gotta get out on the water soon.

kcowan 05-19-2019 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcowan
Our offer was accepted for a $610k new condo 1.5 blocks from the beach in PV.

Will be finished January 2020. 2184 sq.ft.

Great news. We sold our existing condo for $315k so some relief on cashflow for the progress payments on the new place. Closing July 2. All furniture include so lots of shopping and decisions to make for the new place.

Nature Lover 05-19-2019 12:47 PM

Congratulations Keith!

kimcdougc 05-19-2019 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger (Post 2238258)
WOW, just the two first-class flights OR a 14-day European cruise for two people could have been $9K alone, you must be a world-class deal hunter!

Hi Cosmic Avenger, we have an American Express Card that is a buy one get one free 1st class ticket per year. (Have to use in the continental US). It also includes access to the Sky Club when we fly. We did that to New York and back. Took the cruise over to Europe. Paid for 2 nights in a hotel in New York. Paid for one night in New New Jersey on our way back. The cruise was very reasonable $2,400 (for both of us) since it was a re-positioning cruise and included all our food except for the lunches we purchased while in Europe. Train rides are cheap and Uber was reasonable. The one way first class tickets on Norwegian Air one way from Amsterdam were only $1,700 for the both of us.

That would be my husband who is the King of frugal and good deals. I just let him plan it all he does it so well.

Souschef 05-19-2019 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimcdougc (Post 2239246)
Hi Cosmic Avenger, we have an American Express Card that is a buy one get one free 1st class ticket per year. (Have to use in the continental US). It also includes access to the Sky Club when we fly. We did that to New York and back. Took the cruise over to Europe. Paid for 2 nights in a hotel in New York. Paid for one night in New New Jersey on our way back. The cruise was very reasonable $2,400 (for both of us) since it was a re-positioning cruise and included all our food except for the lunches we purchased while in Europe. Train rides are cheap and Uber was reasonable. The one way first class tickets on Norwegian Air one way from Amsterdam were only $1,700 for the both of us.

That would be my husband who is the King of frugal and good deals. I just let him plan it all he does it so well.

We had a VISA card tied to BA. If you spent x$ you got a free companion ticket. Using miles, we flew RT LA to Moscow Business Class for about $2200 for the 2 of us.;D

The Cosmic Avenger 05-19-2019 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimcdougc (Post 2239246)

[furiously takes notes] ;)

W2R 05-22-2019 06:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It occurred to me while reading the thread about comfortable reading glasses, that I always intended on getting nicer reading glasses but somehow hadn't.

I love my very first Ray-Ban sunglasses that I got after my cataract surgery a few years back, so it occurred to me that their reading glasses might be nice, too. I ordered a pair of Ray-Ban reading glasses just now for $189.

Compared with the $10.95 that my present reading glasses cost (on Amazon), I think this qualifies as a Blow That Dough purchase. ;D Pretty exciting, really!

For the first time I encountered "Amazon Pay", which pays a third party seller through Amazon without having to give the seller my CC number. I really like that.

Edited to add: Now why was this so much more fun than paying my car insurance, my homeowner's insurance, and my wind-and-hail (hurricane) insurance, today? :2funny:

Tom52 05-23-2019 07:49 PM

Blowing some dough on our new to us home. Interior and exterior painting plus whole house crown molding install scheduled. Then there's that new golf cart on the horizon. Oh, and the new living, dining and guest bedroom furniture.

Winemaker 05-25-2019 09:04 AM

Went out on a big spending spree last week, bought a razor blade subscription from Harry's. $15 every 5 months. I have a beard but shave my neck, throat and cheeks, just got tired of trying to find the right blade at the store for my assortment of razors. Look out Robbie, I'm gaining ground on you!

Dtail 05-25-2019 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winemaker (Post 2241590)
Went out on a big spending spree last week, bought a razor blade subscription from Harry's. $15 every 5 months. I have a beard but shave my neck, throat and cheeks, just got tired of trying to find the right blade at the store for my assortment of razors. Look out Robbie, I'm gaining ground on you!

That's a portion of one special dinner for RobbieB. :laugh:

Canoesmith 05-25-2019 09:35 AM

I too, have been a bit busy.

2 Attachment(s)
I bought a 28 year old fishing boat/motor/trailer - that works like new...and since I needed a place to store it, Iím building a 2700sf (undercover) two story garage. Blow that dough!

HFWR 05-25-2019 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canoesmith (Post 2241600)
I bought a 28 year old fishing boat/motor/trailer - that works like new...and since I needed a place to store it, Iím building a 2700sf (undercover) two story garage. Blow that dough!

Garage Mahal

aja8888 05-25-2019 07:47 PM

Quote:

My kind of garage!! :coolsmiley:

Ronstar 05-26-2019 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 2241881)
My kind of garage!! :coolsmiley:

+1!

pb4uski 05-26-2019 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dtail (Post 2241598)
That's a portion of one special dinner for RobbieB. :laugh:

I was thinking a few bites of that high-end beef that he indulges in.

freetodream 05-27-2019 05:51 AM

I would like a garage like that one! "You can never build a garage that's too big".

pb4uski 05-27-2019 05:52 AM

^^^ True. Just like you can never buy a TV that is too big.

pb4uski 05-29-2019 03:57 PM

My latest Blow that Dough!.... a iRobot Braava 240 robot mop. Been playing with it this afternoon. Dry swept the master bedroom while I took a nap... our cleaning lady had mopped that room just Monday and it looked clean... but the dry pad (works like a Swiffer) picked up an impressive amount of dirt and dust and furballs... it also picked up a pin that DW had left behind so at least my bare foot didn't pick it up! In fairness to our cleaning lady this little robot gets under the bed and bureaus and nightstands better than she does so that may be why it picked up so much.

Now it is wet mopping the kitchen and seems to be doing a nice job.

Pretty impressive little robot for $150.

NW-Bound 05-29-2019 07:27 PM

Quote:

The garage looks good.

Now, the boat needs to be upsized to match.

Blow more dough!