Blow That Dough! - 2019

Thinking you might have a problem with the $60k figure. Gas, insurance, tags and other incidentals for the toys might have you living under a bridge dining on cat food on that income.

Break Out Another Thousand

+1

I used to think I could live on that much. Well, I could if I had to. I am sure I could do it, if there was no other choice.

Thankfully, I have had another choice. :D

I get by on less, and don’t even eat cat food...

Thinking you might have a problem with the $60k figure. Gas, insurance, tags and other incidentals for the toys might have you living under a bridge dining on cat food on that income.
+1

I used to think I could live on that much. Well, I could if I had to. I am sure I could do it, if there was no other choice.

Thankfully, I have had another choice. :D
Me, too. I suppose a lot depends on whether or not that $60K has to cover a mortgage, car payments, travel, dependents, and so on.

As forum members have discussed many times on other threads, some people prefer to have a mortgage so that they don't lose "opportunity cost"; others like me would rather just have it paid and done with. So, that mortgage shows up in their annual spending.

Expenses of $60K/year would be pretty doggone lavish for a single, debt free, mortgage free non-traveler like me.

If you have a $200k car, your taste for other things like food and clothing may run well beyond $60k annual budget.

I'm modding up an old (rust free) 1996 F150 for daily use during the Winter;
-tinted windows
-new stereo/speakers
-new truck bed liner
-fixing the front suspension
-full tune up including belts, hoses, plugs/wires, cap/rotor, fluids, and filters
-new brighter headlights, and fog lights
-steering wheel, and dash covers

Nice ! Here's my Gen 10 (1998) F150 Lariat with 49,000 miles on it.

1998 F150.jpg

Expenses of $60K/year would be pretty doggone lavish for a single, debt free, mortgage free non-traveler like me.

I am sure that I would not be eating cat food if I cut down to $60K/year. Never said anybody would have to eat cat food on $60K, though some may have to because they mismanage their finance.

In fact, just looking at my Quicken screen, I can see that if I cut out gifts/charity, travel, and expenses of the 2nd home, put my motorhome on blocks, I can live fine on $60K and still eat filet, and lobster, and Dungeness crab, etc...

And still drink XO Cognac too, as I don't drink that much anymore, and also drink stuff like Bombay Sapphire which is a lot cheaper in comparison. And I still live in the comfort of my large home with AC, and surf the Web and chat with y'all just like I do now.

But that's because I have no fancy cars, boats, etc... :D

Last edited:
If you have a $200k car, your taste for other things like food and clothing may run well beyond $60k annual budget.

That’s what I would think. Don’t know any Porsche and boat owners living on $60K in So CA. We don’t have either and spend three times that.

Blowing that dough on travels!

In the past month, I planned a trip to Edinburgh for April 2020. DH's plane ticket is with AA miles, mine is cash, and since we're so far in advance, I found a great-looking airbnb apartment (Edinburgh locals on TripAdvisor tell me they know the place and it's really nice). Next will be booking an Outlander tour during the trip, and planning restaurants.

We've already booked and paid for our annual Jamaica trip (we have spent my birthday in Negril for many years) but still need to book flights. For the first time, I'm looking at a non-loyalty airline (JetBlue) because AA has gotten so bad with delays and there's always a connection on that trip. If I have played my "CC Sign-up bonus" right, we should be able to do one paid + one award ticket.

There's so many places I want to go, or I have gone on my own for work and want to re-visit with DH now that he's retired. I can't think of any traveling that I felt like it wasn't money well-spent.

That’s what I would think. Don’t know any Porsche and boat owners living on $60K in So CA. We don’t have either and spend three times that.

Wow $180,000 expense ! Your salary must be above $230,000 just to break even and I don’t even make 1/2 of that working.

Blow that dough on health and fitness!

I feel guilty, a little, for blowing money on this but...there I go anyway.

$1250 a year on concierge medical care--a fancy way of saying "like having a doctor back in the old days who had time for his patients." This gets me (along usual co-pays) a doctor with a small practice, takes phone calls, spends ample time if needed, doesn't insist on me coming into the office for things that can be handled over the phone, doesn't lose my records, doesn't read off a generic script, remembers who I am from one visit to the next. I toyed with the idea of not "blowing that dough" on this after DH retired...one visit to a regular practice for a gyno issue changed my mind. This one is staying in the budget.

Big "blow that dough": we both have personal trainers. It is pricey--$60 a session, however often we go (roughly twice a week, fluctuates some). Looking at it on paper, it's crazy--we could do workouts at home, go to the condo clubhouse gym, join the Y. But we've main significant gains in strength, flexibility, balance, etc. It's personalized so if I've rolled my ankle or whatever, my trainer can adjust what we do that day so I can get some benefit. DH is learning correct form for lifting and just better form for ADLs all around.

Most of my aches and pains I had before have gone or at least diminished.

And there's never more than 2-3 people in the area at once, so it's not so...people-y.

And it's fun. Our trainers are cool. DH's was in the Polish Olympics, mine teaches classes like "self-defense in enclosed spaces/with multiple attackers/in the dark". We have a good time blowing that batch of dough :)

Booked last week a late August trip to Austria. Spend a couple of days in Vienna, then a few days in St. Wolfgang and then drive down to Val Gardena in the Dolomites, then Lake Garda and then drive to Innsbruck to spend a night before flying back.

Was severely tempted to buy business class tickets which are on sale but I would have had to shift my departure and return dates by about 10 days earlier.

Difference in fares is about $1300, though many of the hotels in the Dolomites have their highest rates through the end of August and bulk of my time there will be in September.

But primary consideration wasn't the cost, it was the timing. I already have another trip in mid July to beginning of August so I didn't want to turn around and leave again in two weeks.

I feel guilty, a little, for blowing money on this but...there I go anyway.

$1250 a year on concierge medical care--a fancy way of saying "like having a doctor back in the old days who had time for his patients." This gets me (along usual co-pays) a doctor with a small practice, takes phone calls, spends ample time if needed, doesn't insist on me coming into the office for things that can be handled over the phone, doesn't lose my records, doesn't read off a generic script, remembers who I am from one visit to the next. I toyed with the idea of not "blowing that dough" on this after DH retired...one visit to a regular practice for a gyno issue changed my mind. This one is staying in the budget.

Big "blow that dough": we both have personal trainers. It is pricey--$60 a session, however often we go (roughly twice a week, fluctuates some). Looking at it on paper, it's crazy--we could do workouts at home, go to the condo clubhouse gym, join the Y. But we've main significant gains in strength, flexibility, balance, etc. It's personalized so if I've rolled my ankle or whatever, my trainer can adjust what we do that day so I can get some benefit. DH is learning correct form for lifting and just better form for ADLs all around.

Most of my aches and pains I had before have gone or at least diminished.

And there's never more than 2-3 people in the area at once, so it's not so...people-y.

And it's fun. Our trainers are cool. DH's was in the Polish Olympics, mine teaches classes like "self-defense in enclosed spaces/with multiple attackers/in the dark". We have a good time blowing that batch of dough :)

I love the sound of all of this! Sounds like money well spent to me.

DW is going on a trip to South Korea for 5 weeks. I will be joining her in 4 weeks for a week stay for me as well. She asked me how much she can spend in Korea, given that I am in charge of our finances. I told her she has no limit on spending. FIRE is being able to say "no limit" on occasion like this. :dance:

I told her she has no limit on spending. FIRE is being able to say "no limit" on occasion like this. :dance:

For your sake, I hope she will not happen across a Hermès store in Seoul.

Leaving for vacation and several girlfriends had been bragging about gel nail polish so I trotted to the salon to get one. It was actually my first manicure EVER. I'm 47. I'm a) Pretty cheap. b) not really good at sitting still for stuff like this and c) manicures last 2 whole days. So girlfriends said I needed one, cause gel manicures last TWO WEEKS. So I got one- and a pedicure too. They MATCH. At checkout the girl gives me the total. My mouth falls open. The price on the list is for polish only- not the manicure, which is separate. (On a regular Mani or pedi, polish is free).

My husband and I have been laughing all evening about my sexy $80 nails. Whatever. Can afford it. As an aside- if you're going to do this I recommend any other day of the week than Friday- my patient self had to WAIT.

Leaving for vacation and several girlfriends had been bragging about gel nail polish so I trotted to the salon to get one. It was actually my first manicure EVER. I'm 47. I'm a) Pretty cheap. b) not really good at sitting still for stuff like this and c) manicures last 2 whole days. So girlfriends said I needed one, cause gel manicures last TWO WEEKS. So I got one- and a pedicure too. They MATCH. At checkout the girl gives me the total. My mouth falls open. The price on the list is for polish only- not the manicure, which is separate. (On a regular Mani or pedi, polish is free).

My husband and I have been laughing all evening about my sexy $80 nails. Whatever. Can afford it. As an aside- if you're going to do this I recommend any other day of the week than Friday- my patient self had to WAIT.

Good thing you didn't get a haircut and color too....:facepalm:

Around here, DW needs to make an appointment, a week in advance....

Sounds like a bargain at only 8$ a finger/thumb. Enjoy!!

VW

I just checked my Quicken. DW spent $260 in the first 6 months of this year, roughly $40 a month, not including tips. She keeps her nails nice and toes too. Once you get the gels, then it's just a fill and file every few weeks. Not as expensive as the original visit. For fingers and toes, she pays $68
She has no problem fitting in appts either. This morning she called and asked her regular manicurist if she could fit her in between a Dr. appt. and her gym workout. Not a problem!

Once a month she takes my dad to get a pedicure. No way any of us want to touch a 87 year old man's nasty feet! Best $30 we ever spent! Ha!

Last edited:

A lady needs to do this at least once in a while, if not 1-2x/month. It's nice to be pampered, even at that price. :)

Every guy in the Sunbelt who wears flips everyday should get at least one pedicure in the summer. I'll have my "annual" done next week before leaving to see the fiance. Ask my last girlfriend how I know this;)

A lady needs to do this at least once in a while, if not 1-2x/month. It's nice to be pampered, even at that price. :)

Every guy in the Sunbelt who wears flips everyday should get at least one pedicure in the summer. I'll have my "annual" done next week before leaving to see the fiance. Ask my last girlfriend how I know this;)

haha there are some nasty guys toes showing in FLA frequently. As for myself, clip my own toenails and actually don't care for sandals for myself.

You have redefined what 'blow that dough' means for me. I thought for sure you typo'd an extra zero into that posted cost. I was wrong!

I thought the same! Wow, simply amazing.

Luckily, we don't need to heat towels down here in South Louisiana.... :D Mother Nature provides us with plenty of heat whenever we want it, especially in the summertime. Here, it is very refreshing to get into a cool shower and then dry off with a nice cool towel.

:dance:

Back
Top Bottom