Fisher Investments

Status
Not open for further replies.

nazoomer

Confused about dryer sheets
Does anyone here have any experience with this investment group ? As I understand their methodology, they invest in single stocks and bonds vs mutual funds based on a personalized strategy.

thank you
Nazoomer

Run from them like other high pressure high fee charge other investment firms.

Run from them like other high pressure high fee charge other investment firms.

Run away at top speed. Do not allow anyone to charge a % of assets.

I got a large unsolicited envelope this week from Ken Fisher. I was painting and used it to catch the drips under my paint can. Thanks Ken! :2funny:

Does anyone here have any experience with this investment group ? As I understand their methodology, they invest in single stocks and bonds vs mutual funds based on a personalized strategy.

thank you
Nazoomer

I'm pretty sure their "personalized strategy" goes something like: "How can we make money for Ken Fisher".

Do a little googling on "active versus passive investing", and you'll find that the 'strategies fail ~ 85% of the time, and you can't pick the 15% in advance.

Just DIY, all you need to do is determine an asset allocation you are comfortable with (and don't sweat it, anything from ~40/60 ~ 90/10 is reasonable for most people), and buy 2-3 broad-based index mutual funds/ETFs to match, and forget about it. It really is that easy.

-ERD50

I'm pretty sure their "personalized strategy" goes something like: "How can we make money for Ken Fisher".

Do a little googling on "active versus passive investing", and you'll find that the 'strategies fail ~ 85% of the time, and you can't pick the 15% in advance.

Just DIY, all you need to do is determine an asset allocation you are comfortable with (and don't sweat it, anything from ~40/60 ~ 90/10 is reasonable for most people), and buy 2-3 broad-based index mutual funds/ETFs to match, and forget about it. It really is that easy.

-ERD50

+1

Not to mention - if his results are SO GREAT, why does he have to market his services so hard? You'd think they'd be very busy just from the referrals received from his extremely happy clients.

Last edited:
+1

Not to mention - if his results are SO GREAT, why does he have to market his services so hard? You'd think they'd be very busy just from the referrals received from his extremely happy clients.
Well (and this is true for all pundits and advisors), if they know how to beat the market consistently why are they knocking themselves out pitching their skills to investors at all? Why aren't they happily ensconced on a private tropical island, sitting on the beach and drinking from glasses garnished with orchids?

A good investment advisor doesn't advertise and he doesn't cold call. He stays as busy as he wants from referrals. He also doesn't claim the impossible.

Last edited:
they must charge high fees, as they mail me lots and lots of advertisements in large envelopes.

That's my thought too when I get one of their envelopes. We're not painting so have no immediate use for it but might save it for when I change the oil in the snow blower.

A friend met with them the other day. IIRC, yes they recommend a portfolio of selected individual stocks not funds. In fact, I think it is a fairly small number of stocks. As others have mentioned, they charge a fairly high % of AUM. I do not recall the exact %. I do not remember what they recommend for bonds. As others have said, I would stick with low cost index mutual funds.

Whenever I see his ads on TeeVee, I immediately think of seeing him an episode of "American Greed".....the theme music actually plays !!!

Same with that baby-faced guy who's on occasionally ( can't recall his name).....

Whenever I see his ads on TeeVee, I immediately think of seeing him an episode of "American Greed".....the theme music actually plays !!!

Same with that baby-faced guy who's on occasionally ( can't recall his name).....

I could really see that. And his clients spend a ton of $$$ making sure he's on CNBC every 7 minutes. And one other thing...his hands! Come on Ken...just PUT YOUR HANDS DOWN!!! There is no need so be swinging them all around when you are trying to push your [-]scam[/-] investments.

thank you
Nazoomer
Fisher Investments takes huge bets/positions in equities. If you don't have the stomach for the ups and downs, you may want to look elsewhere to invest your money.

A couple of weeks back I used one of his mailings to get the wood stove lit. I get a packet from these guys periodically. Not sure how they got my name as a prospect.

They call me once in awhile. Quoting from this forum on various themes, I actually have some fun with them on the phone.

Start with determining what kind of help you need.
Then find an adviser/firm that meets those needs. Not the other way around.

Fisher Investments is a good place for people who don't like to invest on their own. They charge .75-1.25% which is actually pretty standard in the industry. I found the 2 books I read by him are excellent. Particularly the one about debunking common investment assumptions.

Fisher Investments is a good place for people who don't like to invest on their own. They charge .75-1.25% which is actually pretty standard in the industry. I found the 2 books I read by him are excellent. Particularly the one about debunking common investment assumptions.

Low cost provider.....compared to Fast Eddie Jones!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom