Plumbing picture on the internet

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
File this under stupid information you find on the internet. Thought I'd share it with you. Clicked on one of those "things you should make sure of with your house" stories. One of the recommendations was to make sure you address leaks as water can do damage. All good, but look at the picture. A pipe wrench on a PVC drain?? Really?

rucs0k122g09rakj.jpg

Need to make sure those joints are tight enough. Brace your foot against the garbage disposal, get a good two handed grip on the pipe wrench and torque to yield.

She is safe from splatter with them cool shades!

I'd be doing that if I didn't have a set of curved jaw Vise Grips--just to get it lose.

Put some gray Teflon tape on the threads, and it'll really seal up good.

Naw, he's just trying to loosen it up some.

It looks that way to me. With the pipe wrench that way, it would be to loosen it right? I mean left?

Sometimes they get stuck on pretty tight, so using a wrench to loosen it might be warranted.

-ERD50

If the problem is leaks...

Why loosen it?

If the problem is leaks...

Why loosen it?

Would need context. Sometimes you loosen it, reposition it a bit, and then tighten. Or loosen to replace the washer.

But that soldering iron pic - no context needed! Ouch! :)

-ERD50

It looks that way to me. With the pipe wrench that way, it would be to loosen it right? I mean left?

Sometimes they get stuck on pretty tight, so using a wrench to loosen it might be warranted.

-ERD50

+1 I've used a pipe wrench to loosen a PVC drain when the existing fitting could not be loosened by hand.

But my fingers burn looking at the other picture.

look at the picture. A pipe wrench on a PVC drain?? Really?

The pipe wrench is oriented for loosening in that photo.

Those P-trap nuts only need to be hand tightened, but I've run across many that were over tightened. Someone glued one on at my mom's house (I guess the $6 tube of caulk seemed easier than a 50 cent washer or new P-trap?). When they're too tight to loosen by hand, I usually reach for my channel lock slip groove pliers, but a pipe wrench would work if that's all I had available.

There are many reasons to dismantle a P-trap, from cleaning a drain to locating a lost ring.

The pipe wrench is oriented for loosening in that photo.

Those P-trap nuts only need to be hand tightened, but I've run across many that were over tightened.

When they're too tight to loosen by hand, I usually reach for my channel lock slip groove pliers, but a pipe wrench would work if that's all I had available.

There are many reasons to dismantle a P-trap, from cleaning a drain to locating a lost ring.
Yeah, me too. I'm no plumber, but am smart enough to gently turn the pipe wrench on a frozen plastic pipe. Also like the channel lock pliers in that situation.

File this under stupid information you find on the internet. Thought I'd share it with you. Clicked on one of those "things you should make sure of with your house" stories. One of the recommendations was to make sure you address leaks as water can do damage. All good, but look at the picture. A pipe wrench on a PVC drain?? Really?

rucs0k122g09rakj.jpg
There's a sucker born every minute.

Well, there goes the righty tighty lefty loosy concept.

Still seems unnatural to me to see PVC used for drain lines.

Here in Cana-duh we use ABS. I think some of your northern states do too.

Now ABS traps. Those you can reef on until you pop a blood vessel... :LOL::D

Well, there goes the righty tighty lefty loosy concept.

Nope. Righty is clockwise so if the pipe in the pic was oriented facing you the wrench would be turning counterclockwise (left) to loosen it.

Nope. Righty is clockwise so if the pipe in the pic was oriented facing you the wrench would be turning counterclockwise (left) to loosen it.

Been wrenching for over 50 years. Just a bit fun on the old saw.

Back
Top Bottom