Thanks for a great forum (ER.org) and Moderators

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
No particular reason, just feel like I ought to say thanks once in a while, and don't know how else to do it aside from a post.

I did have yet another helpful exchange here yesterday, so many experienced folks here willing to share. There have been hundreds of good threads that helped me over the years.

And I've been on and off several other forums, and none of them are as well moderated as here. I don't think we're over moderated here (perfect isn't possible), and I've been on several under moderated sites, and it's just awful.

Thanks everyone!

Agree 100%. And thank you for saying thank you. Something so simple can be just what's needed by someone.

Totally agree. This forum is a great site. I learn something every time I am here.
Thank you!

Yes, thank you members & moderators!

The incredible content from so many members. My ability to RE was due in large part to all I have learned here.

The awesome moderators who keep this a respectful but entertaining place to visit. Such a wide range of topics but without the noise & rancor of many other forums.

Brian

+1.

On the first anniversary of my retirement date, I made a very, very modest donation to ER.org (actually, more of an investment). My plan is to continue same each year.

Worth every penny!

Amen! This site has been a great resource, for me, over the years, for both emotional and day to day practical assistance.

This forum led me to realize I could retire. Great advice and moderated just right.

So much information on this forum. It's my "go to" for advice and commentary from peers. And respectfully delivered. Thx moderators.

Our moderators and admins work hard and put up with a lot sometimes. I really appreciate all they do, so much! Thank you, thank you, thank you! :)

They are all good people, and most of them put a lot of effort into keeping this board a terrific and pleasant place to post. :flowers:

Having been "behind the scenes" for 10 years, and back out front, now, I think you all would be surprised if you knew:

1) How FEW people are banned for any significant length of time; right now I can't even think of anybody who was although I am sure there must have been somebody.

2) How much work and diplomacy it takes behind the scenes to keep just a very few "bad boys" in line, so that they and others can enjoy the forum.

3) How unusually unbiased the mod team is, especially regarding politics. The team is pretty evenly divided in political leanings. They all know where the others on the team stand, and instead of pushing a viewpoint generally they bow out if they feel like their political viewpoint is motivating their moderating in any particular instance. They get called "Commies" and "Nazis" with equal frequency by those who chose not to obey the Community Rules. :LOL:

4) All moderating decisions (other than deleting obvious spam, like "Buy Nikes"), are made by consensus, not by individuals. Nothing is done by a mod with a chip on his/her shoulder.

Thank you very much to the moderators and hosts of this forum, it is a great resource and it is mostly a friendly and helpful place to get great advice.

ER.org/Therapy...pretty darn close. Now that I think about it, are the mods therapists or is that my imagination?

I have to say I (shudder) tried out the Fire subreddit on Reddit. Not worth the time or energy. Even when I get bored here and just skim the titles, I still find it a worthwhile use of a bit of time.

Some of them are pretty shady but I think labeling them as "the rapists" might be carrying it a bit too far...
Just in case, “Sean Connery” on SNL Jeopardy parody (hilarious).

Attachments

• 66ECC063-09C6-4528-A26B-A98D589A4A31.jpeg
    66ECC063-09C6-4528-A26B-A98D589A4A31.jpeg
    463.2 KB · Views: 58
They get called "Commies" and "Nazis" with equal frequency...

There's a difference? :confused:

Commies and Nazis are both totalitarian regimes, but they hate each other and are always ready to slash each other's throat. Well, they slash 3rd and 4th and 5th parties' throats too, but you know what I mean. But when you are totalitarian, that's just what you've got to do.

I have not read neither Mein Kampf nor the Communist Manifesto, so I do not know much more about them than their throat slashing. And that's all I need to know.

Last edited:
+1 to everything said above. Thanks mods!

Commies and Nazis are both totalitarian regimes, but they hate each other and are always ready to slash each other's throat. Well, they slash 3rd and 4th and 5th parties' throats too, but you know what I mean. But when you are totalitarian, that's just what you've got to do.

I have not read neither Mein Kampf nor the Communist Manifesto, so I do not know much more about them than their throat slashing. And that's all I need to know.

Turf Wars.

It's been quite a while, and the name of the book has slipped my memory, but writer Patrick Leigh Fermor* traveled as a young guy throughout pre-WWII Germany.

At one point he's in a bar with Brownshirts...turns out they all used to be communists but switched en masse - same side of the same coin.

* https://www.nyrb.com/collections/patrick-leigh-fermor

Added: Found it:

From A Time Of Gifts:
https://www.nyrb.com/products/a-time-of-gifts?variant=1094928933

Fermor meets a group in a "Workmen's bar" and is offered a cot for the night in a room that turns out to be a "Shrine of Hitleriana".........I have transposed some of the subsequent conversation here:

You should have seen it last year! You would have laughed! Then it was all red flags, stars, hammers and sickles, pictures of Lenin and Stalin and Workers of the World, Unite! I used to punch the heads of anyone singing the Horst Wessel Lied! It was all the Red Flag and the International then! I wasn't only a Sozi, but a Kommi, ein echter Bolschewik!" He gave a clenched fist salute. "You should have seen me! Street fights! We used to beat the hell out of the Nazis, and they beat the hell out of us. We laughed ourselves silly - Man hat sich totgelacht. Then suddenly, when Hitler came to power, I understood it was all nonsense and lies. I realized Adolf was the man for me. All of a sudden!" He snapped his fingers in the air. "And here I am!"

What about his old pals, I asked. "They changed too! - all those chaps in the bar. Every single one! They're all in the S.A. now." Had a lot of people done the same then? A lot? His eyes opened wide. "Millions! I tell you, I was astonished how easily they all changed sides!"

Humble apologies for the hijack.

Last edited:
This is one place where even an old dog can learn new tricks. Good reminder to say thanks to our mods/admins and all the great contributors who post.

Let my add my voice to the thanks - thank you Mods and the ER forum!

Turf Wars...

Thanks!

After a bit of reflection, I am no longer astonished by the story. Most (a large percentage?) of people often have really no true conviction, or belief, whether that is right or wrong, good or bad. And they really do not care. They just want to be on the winning side to share in the loot. And that has been seen times and times again in history. Politicians who understand this and know how to manipulate the crowd are the ones that come into power.

I am not going to apologize for hijacking the thread. It is indeed stray and seemingly random posts like yours that I learn a lot from.

And that is the reason of the thread, and it is all good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom