If you got bored in retirement, would you work as a fast food worker?

I’ve fantasized this more than once. Part time work, free meals. If you find a good location near home and the place has a good atmosphere and crew, I can totally see how this would be fun.

I could never get this bored, and if I was, this is one of the last solutions to combat boredom that I could think of.

Have not worked in a restaurant since high school and it would take an awful lot to get me to do it again...

That type of work wouldn't appeal to me. I'm not against some PT gig but not fast food. For the people that would like that type of work go for it.

Have not worked in a restaurant since high school and it would take an awful lot to get me to do it again...
Same here and totally agree. Retail customers are also much more rude and aggressive now.

I refused to do it in High School. Declined a McDonald's job my Dad had lined up for me behind the scenes. ( He was not happy. Sorry, Dad. )

Rather, I chose to self-employ and became an "Independent Pharmaceutical Sales Representative" instead. Learned quite a bit about Business/Money Management from that experience.

Try that if you're bored...

:)

Last edited:
A friend of mine works as the morning baker at Hardees. He likes to take bucket item trips twice a year, leaving for Russia on Thursday, and this job gives him some extra spending money.

Circa 1977, McDonalds in Toronto being one of my telco accounts, I was roped into working behind the counter for their first Ronald McDonald Day, (William Shatner and others showed up for a brief period and stood alongside me...or did I stand alongside them?)

Crowds lined up for a block...I was there for the better part of the day.....damned hard work!

I suspect seniors who work in fast food restaurants are doing so out of (financial) necessity more often than boredom - so I’m not sure about the question for this audience. If I decided to go back to work, I’d find something other than fast food, as noted above it seems there are way more rude customers these days.

A friend of mine works as the morning baker at Hardees. He likes to take bucket item trips twice a year, leaving for Russia on Thursday, and this job gives him some extra spending money.
To me that's an argument to work OMY in my career, so I wouldn't have to do something like this.

Nope. If someone wanted a minimum wage job to keep busy I would recommend specialty retail related to one of their hobbies. IMO, working at Home Depot, Dick's, Best Buy, or your local bike/scuba/antique/automotive/hobby shop would beat the heck out of flipping burgers.

Though skimming through the article, at least some of the folks they interviewed appear to be doing it for social reasons.

No way. I once worked in the kitchen of a cafeteria in the clubhouse of a golf course. They also had a catering hall for evening events. I lasted 10 days there.

Just would not do it. Would have to be at the end of all my alternate plans before doing this.
To me, I don't ever wish to work again except volunteering.

30 years ago or so McDonald's had a commercial showing an older man getting ready for his first day working at McDonalds. It was meant to be a heartwarming pitch, so even then they were looking for seniors. I agree that most are working for the money and not to combat boredom.

I could never get this bored, and if I was, this is one of the last solutions to combat boredom that I could think of.

+1

The only thing along those lines I might consider would be part-time work for a company that offers decent health insurance, like REI, Costco, Whole Foods, or Lowe's. In order to consider that, though, I'd have to be really bored and/or really need affordable HI.

All work is honorable, but fast food and most retail jobs would be very far down the list at this point in my life. The benefit of getting fed wouldn’t even come into the equation. There’s not much fast food I would even eat at this point. As iloveyoga pointed out, if the food industry is your option, find something where you can earn tips.

The Culver's near us has many senior workers on staff and in general, they're much nicer to interact with than the younger folks. But the older ones are a little slow on the cash registers. :LOL:

I'd try it - but only for a short time.

I've always been curious about how they do things. They've perfected their efficiency and speed to the point where I'm sure we'd all learn something.

But I've worked in food service before. No interest in staying any length of time. Just long enough to understand their processes.

Just would not do it. Would have to be at the end of all my alternate plans before doing this.
To me, I don't ever wish to work again except volunteering.

+1 I avoided retail like the plague, even in my grunt job days. Did warehouse and maintenance work. Come to think I've it, being a software engineer my entire career, I pretty much avoided dealing with (external) customers my entire working life.

This reminds me of how I react when I see threads about running one's own business. My reaction is always "that would be fun, as long as I didn't have to deal with customers".

I would wait tables first but I don't want to do that either!
I waited tables in college and actually enjoyed it, and I made very good money on tips too! But it's no fun anymore as many/most restaurants use runners and several "servers" now, so waiting tables is more like a production line than it used to be. You do see classic wait staff at some higher end restaurants, but even some of them use runners/servers...

Back
Top Bottom