Some data on MA vs Medicare enrollment

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Thanks for posting, it’s interesting. The article focuses on Medicare Advantage as advertised in the title but I didn’t see any reference to Medigap/supplements. I wonder if those were just left out or are considered part of Traditional Medicare?

My still-incomplete understanding of the system is that a major choice on turning 65 is Advantage vs Supplement.

Thanks for posting, it’s interesting. The article focuses on Medicare Advantage as advertised in the title but I didn’t see any reference to Medigap/supplements. I wonder if those were just left out or are considered part of Traditional Medicare?

My still-incomplete understanding of the system is that a major choice on turning 65 is Advantage vs Supplement.

Here’s some KFF data on MediGap https://www.kff.org/medicare/issue-...-and-consumer-protections-vary-across-states/

One in four people in traditional Medicare (25 percent) had private, supplemental health insurance in 2015—also known as Medigap—to help cover their Medicare deductibles and cost-sharing requirements, as well as protect themselves against catastrophic expenses for Medicare-covered services.

So, that means 29% choose Medicare Advantage, 18% choose traditional Medicare with MediGap, 24% have traditional Medicare with employer paid MediGap, 13% have traditional Medicare with Medicaid, and 16% have only Medicare A and B.

I personally see the numbers starting to switch towards MA with a not so subtle push from the government. I believe the powers that be have decided MA is the wave of the future.By that I mean the government and the insurance companies want to write MA policies.

The 24% with employer paid, I would be surprised if everyone has Medigap, I bet more then a few have a MA plan.

The 24% with employer paid, I would be surprised if everyone has Medigap, I bet more then a few have a MA plan.

That will be the case for me when the time comes (assuming no changes from employer’s current setup, a big assumption).

The analysis states the 24% is just Medicare Supplemental plans. No doubt some of the 29% of Medicare Advantage is also employer paid, but it’s not broken out.

Not to derail the thread, but does anyone have a good source comparing average Medigap pricing by state?

I ask this because for fun (I am a few years away) I compared prices in NY (where I currently reside) and TN (one of many states I cam considering post retirement) and the prices were dramatically different. What I am trying to better understand is how much of that is due to NY's community rated pricing vs how much is just due to a higher COL location.

Found this interesting chart at the howmuch.net site:
https://howmuch.net/articles/medigap-plan-costs

Chart:
medigap2-6e0b.png

Back
Top Bottom