Hello From the Hospital

Sometimes you just have to whine! My brother, age 62, had chest pain on and off for a full year. He kept going to his doctor, getting repeat EKG, stress test. All normal. Finally, I told my brother ( we live 2k miles away) with the next event GO TO THE ER. They have protocols to follow and the work up will be more thorough. Finally, he did. Work up including Troponins normal initially. He refused to leave the ER until they figured it out. So, they admitted him and followed serial troponins. Cardiologist sees him the next day and, fortunately, listened to my brother and decides to do cardiac cath regardless of normal work up. As they are wheeling him to the cath suite his latest troponin was finally elevated ( after almost 18 hours) Unfortunately, the blockages were too severe for stents so he underwent quadruple bypass.

He is two years out and doing well.

Excellent story on why you have to be (or have) your own advocate. Don't take "no" for an answer. YOU know your own body and when it talks to you, you listen. Unfortunately, it is up to you (or your designated advocate) to convince the medical staff to listen to you.

I spent last Christmas @ Walter Reed hospital in Bethesda. I've always had moderately high cholesterol, and the EKG and all symptoms, including really high troponin levels, pointed to me having a heart attack. So they took a look under the fluoroscope and found zero blockage.

Was instead diagnosed with myocarditis, just like you heard about the otherwise healthy athletes getting shortly after receiving the covid vaccine. It had been a few months for me, so I don't believe that was the cause. Cleared to fully exercise now, but I have started on rosuvastatin since then.

One interesting experience while in the hospital....one of the residents informed me that ever since covid, they've seen a lot of weird things with covid vaccines and heart issues. His team was working on a research study and paper, but someone higher up in the chain of command ordered them to terminate all work, with no explanation.

Your last two paragraphs make no sense....I think it's pretty much agreed that yes, Covid vaccine can cause myocarditis....so can an actual case of Covid so you are kind of D* if you do and D* if you don't. I've had 3 vaccines and 2 cases of the newer "light" Covid so I think I'll let nature take it's course.

Your last two paragraphs make no sense

Wait. What? Your lived experience may be different than someone else's but that doesn't mean they don't make sense (except, perhaps to you.) They made sense to me. Of course, YMMV.

My trip to the hospital and ultimately the Cath Lab was strange. I woke up with chest pains at about 2 AM. It was crystal clear that this was nothing i had felt before, so I woke up DW and stepped through the shower and she drove me to the hospital.
It was a dull ache but not something that I could have gone back to sleep with.
The ER was empty and they had me in the back already when she came in from parking the car. The EKG had one funky lead out of 12 and not indicative of anyrhing, and my troponin was below 20.
Several docs took a hard listen with the stethoscope. They were looking for the telltale rasp of pericarditis, a swelling of the pericardium that can squeeze and irritate your heart.
This is frequently caused by a viral infection, a head cold or something that gets loose and wreaks havoc.
They heard nothing.
The pain had largely subsided but I was kept for observation.
They drew another blood gas and the troponin was low again, I had an echocardiagram and it looked normal.
About 2 PM after being there almost 12 hours, the pain came roaring back. i had to sit up with it, and the next blood gas had my troponin really high, like I had an event of some sort. That was 6 PM and the cath lab was backed up so I had to wait till 1130 to get in there.
They found virtually nothing. No apparent damage, and a 20~30% blockage of one artery that was below a treatable threshold.
The cardiologist thought that I had a small heart attack or had myopericarditis due to me having that telltale head cold, but no rasping sounds due to me losing a whole bunch of weight recently.
You lose body fat all over and that includes near the heart, so the rasp was not happening.
he put me on the cardiologist's favorite, atorvastatin. My cholesterol was really low due to my dieting but hey, that is what they do.
About 6 months in I got the allergy to atorvastatin with really bad leg pains. Now I'm on rusovastatin with no issues from that.
I've had one stress test since then and was able to cruise on up to a 160 HR with no issues so they called that good, @60
Now I'm 62 and going to see him in August.

My trip to the hospital and ultimately the Cath Lab was strange. I woke up with chest pains at about 2 AM. It was crystal clear that this was nothing i had felt before, so I woke up DW and stepped through the shower and she drove me to the hospital.
The ER was empty and they had me in the back already when she came in from parking the car. The EKG had one funky lead out of 12 and not indicative of anyrhing, and my troponin was below 20.
Several docs took a hard listen with the stethoscope. They were looking for the telltale rasp of pericarditis, a swelling of the pericardium that can squeeze and irritate your heart.
This is frequently caused by a viral infection, a head cold or something that gets loose and wreaks havoc.
They heard nothing.
They drew another blood gas and the troponin was low again, I had an echocardiagram and it looked normal.
About 2 PM after being there almost 12 hours, the pain came roaring back. i had to sit up with it, and the next blood gas had my troponin really high, like I had an event of some sort. That was 6 PM and the cath lab was backed up so I had to wait till 1130 to get in there.
They found virtually nothing. No apparent damage, and a 20~30% blockage of one artery that was below a treatable threshold.
The cardiologist thought that I had a small heart attack or had myopericarditis due to me having that telltale head cold, but no rasping sounds due to me losing a whole bunch of weight recently.
You lose body fat all over and that includes near the heart, so the rasp was not happening.
he put me on the cardiologist's favorite, atorvastatin. My cholesterol was really low due to my dieting but hey, that is what they do.
About 6 months in I got the allergy to atorvastatin with really bad leg pains. Now I'm on rusovastatin with no issues from that.
I've had one stress test since then and was able to cruise on up to a 160 HR with no issues so they called that good, @60

Heh, heh, I had to laugh when you mentioned taking a shower. When it happened to me (chest pains) my first thought was to shower before going to the ER.:cool smiley:

Off topic (big surprise.) Mamma always told little Johnny to wear clean underwear. "What if you're in an accident and have to go to the hospital." Sure enough, years later, when little Johnny was 27, he was in an accident and had to go to the hospital. He told the nurses "Be sure to send my underwear to my mom."

Heh, heh, I had to laugh when you mentioned taking a shower. When it happened to me (chest pains) my first thought was to shower before going to the ER.:cool smiley:

Actually this reminded me what my coworker did on her first heart attack. Called an ambulance, went outside on the porch to wait and SMOKED A CIGARETTE. She was like well I was nervous . . .

Actually this reminded me what my coworker did on her first heart attack. Called an ambulance, went outside on the porch to wait and SMOKED A CIGARETTE. She was like well I was nervous . . .

Heh, heh, she also knew they weren't gonna let her smoke in the hospital!

We had a smoker in the lab who eventually was debilitated by COPD and had to retire early. He was on oxygen, but he would still turn off his O2 rig and smoke cigarettes. That, to me defines addiction. He didn't last long.

I've seen quite a few articles on why females don't seek and then don't get help when they have a heart attack. There is a certain level of bias against women having heart attacks since they're considered more of a "man's disease." Women need to advocate for themselves if they think they have a heart attack (or blocked artery.) I'm not even a woman and I had a hard time getting doctors to pay attention to my symptoms. Essentially all "their" tests showed I was fine. My pain didn't seem to count. YMMV

That's likely because nearly all women don't have wives. I might have gone to ER later in the day anyway, but my visit to ER was due to DW's insistence.

LOL @Koolau
Since I was clearly VERY awake, I had a head start on DW and a quick rinse in our zero threshold shower seemed like a minimal risk while she got up to speed.
Very much the clean undies :D
@mystang52 in my case it did not take me more than a minute to come to the conclusion that I needed to go to the hospital, before waking up my wife. Some would say why did you not call 911, I have been around the block.
It was not debilitating pain and I had no weaknesses in arms or getting my wind, no dizziness. I was fully functional and surmised that my wife would get me there faster.

Hi all. OP here. Thank you for the well wishes and sharing.

A quick update approaching 2 weeks after the event & stent - life is good. I'm a lot more appreciative and health is good. I'm back to hiking and pickle-ball with an even bigger smile.

It feels like the stent has increased my aerobic capacity and my heart handles the exercise quite well. Air travel is on hold until I pass the stress test but I'm already back to teaching via Zoom.

"It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver." — Mahatma Gandhi

A quick update approaching 2 weeks after the event & stent - life is good. I'm a lot more appreciative and health is good. I'm back to hiking and pickle-ball with an even bigger smile.

It feels like the stent has increased my aerobic capacity and my heart handles the exercise quite well. Air travel is on hold until I pass the stress test but I'm already back to teaching via Zoom.

"It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver." — Mahatma Gandhi

Fantastic update! Thanks for sharing. Blessings for continued health.

It's been 3 years in March since I had HA. I'm a hypochondriac and love going to doctors so I called 911 literally right after Google determined I might be having an incident: heavy heartburn, dry mouth, cold sweats, very pale. My body was certain it was more than indigestion, Google confirmed, I listened. I was sent home about 12 hours after getting one stent inserted.

I just did the stress test and echocardiogram: not a trace of what happened. Cardiologist did mention that I was unusually fast with getting to the hospital - that's why my heart has no scars and works fine.

Interestingly, I credit Medicaid for my good fortune. When I stopped working in 2019 I had no monthly or projected income (just savings) and did not qualify for ACA so they pushed me into Medicaid. So when it came to calling the ambulance I didn't think of the 3-6k deductible.

Great advice about not ignoring symptoms of a possible heart attack.
For those interested in Coronary Calcium testing there is an on-line evidence-based risk calculator for 10 year risk of "cardiac events" (HA, cardiac death, etc.), including estimates for risk estimated with and without CAC score. Inputs are stuff like age, family history of heart disease, and basic health (smoking, diabetes, cholesterol/HDL, blood pressure, and if taking cholesterol or blood pressure meds).

https://www.mesa-nhlbi.org/MESACHDRisk/MesaRiskScore/RiskScore.aspx

Interesting to play around with the calculator to see how it works in different scenarios. It does help to give a better look at a specific person's individual risk, but it is not 100% perfect. Even a CAC score of zero does NOT mean that you are at zero risk for future heart problems.

Be Cautious

Good to hear your story. I just turned 60 and both my parents had massive heart attacks at 60. My Dad passes about 6 months later, but my Mom is turning 89 in August. I started having chest tightening at work about 4 weeks ago and went to the heart hospital. They didn't find anything, but set me up to see a cardiologist a week later. As soon as I told him my symptoms he got me in for an emergency Cath. They found 100% blockage in my main artery, 70% in my secondary and 50% in another one. I had a triple bypass two days later and I'm feeling good as of today. I feel very blessed to be here today and hope I live a good life like my Mom. Luckily I didn't show any signs of a heart attack, so that is good news. Don't wait if you have chest pains.

Good to hear your story. I just turned 60 and both my parents had massive heart attacks at 60. My Dad passes about 6 months later, but my Mom is turning 89 in August. I started having chest tightening at work about 4 weeks ago and went to the heart hospital. They didn't find anything, but set me up to see a cardiologist a week later. As soon as I told him my symptoms he got me in for an emergency Cath. They found 100% blockage in my main artery, 70% in my secondary and 50% in another one. I had a triple bypass two days later and I'm feeling good as of today. I feel very blessed to be here today and hope I live a good life like my Mom. Luckily I didn't show any signs of a heart attack, so that is good news. Don't wait if you have chest pains.

Was that triple bypass or stents? If triple bypass, how long did it take to recover if you don't mind my asking?

I had only stents when I had chest pains and walked out of the hospital the next day - a "new man." They had warned me that (since they never know what they will find until the heart cath is completed) I might have to have bypass which is much more (almost infinitely more?) invasive with long recovery time.

At the time I was taking meds for Afib so was worried this might be a heart attack.

Finally around 8:00 am I went to the ER. Had the enzyme blood test which came back negative. Turned out I was having a panic attack, which I don't understand as I was not anxious about anything.
In my late 30s, I went to the ER for what turned out to be a panic attack. Though I did know what it was about, a w**k situation.

It is always a good idea to check out any heart symptoms, just to be on the safe side.
Even if you think its is indigestion, anxiety, etc.
You never know.

Was that triple bypass or stents? If triple bypass, how long did it take to recover if you don't mind my asking?

I had only stents when I had chest pains and walked out of the hospital the next day - a "new man." They had warned me that (since they never know what they will find until the heart cath is completed) I might have to have bypass which is much more (almost infinitely more?) invasive with long recovery time.

It was a triple bypass because the main artery was 100% blocked. They originally talked about doing stents until they found the 100% blockage. I was released 5 days later and now I'm walking 2+ miles a day two weeks after being released. The scar sucks, but I'm alive. I'm lucky there was no damage to the heart.

This is fantastic news! I was hoping for a quick recovery, but never dreamed it would be that fast. :dance:

It is very fortunate that you sought treatment and your condition was addressed when it was!

I hope you are doing better.
I've read that very Low cholesterol can be more dangerous vs high cholesterol in some cases, as our system need the cholesterol.
I also have some chest pains before, but it has been gone for months every since I do 30 push ups everyday :) Good luck.

They heard nothing.

It was a triple bypass because the main artery was 100% blocked. They originally talked about doing stents until they found the 100% blockage. I was released 5 days later and now I'm walking 2+ miles a day two weeks after being released. The scar sucks, but I'm alive. I'm lucky there was no damage to the heart.

Sorry to be so nosy. Much appreciated. Continued blessings on your open arteries! Aloha

Back
Top Bottom