“It was all started by a mouse” Walt Disney

We went once in early 80's when my daughter was small. She was entranced so much that when her daughter was born she bought into the vacation club. They/she is also in several Disney groups,and thru those she was able to "buyout" at least 3 other weeks from other "owners". They go a lot and we went 2 years ago with them. It was a good vacation in the since that our 6 yr. old DGD would let us know which rides were going to be scary or GREAT! LOL but as far as ever living there or buying into that timeshare stuff it doesn't appeal to us.

I am considering moving to the Orlando area when I retire in a few years. Part of this is Disney, as I've been there dozens of times over the last several decades. However, this is not my only reason why this is one of my top choices. The other items I find attractive about this possibility are:

Florida is retiree friendly. No state income tax, obviously.

It has a major international airport - MCO. This means the travel to international and domestic destinations would be significantly cheaper than prices from my current location. They are also serviced by Southwest - my city is not.

Kennedy Space Center is close by. As somewhat of a geek I would enjoy seeing rocket launches. I've tried several times during our vacations but it never worked out.

I'm a Southern boy. The heat there is no worse that what I already experience. Orlando is actually better - because it is between two coasts there are almost always a breeze.

Lots of condos or other age friendly dwellings. I'm in good physical shape now but I fully expect that I hit the 70's and 80's I'll likely have mobility issues, and even if I don't it's still best to allow for the possibility. I don't want or need a lawn to take care of, and my desire for lots of space has pretty much left the building with Elvis.

I am considering moving to the Orlando area when I retire in a few years. Part of this is Disney, as I've been there dozens of times over the last several decades. However, this is not my only reason why this is one of my top choices. The other items I find attractive about this possibility are:

Florida is retiree friendly. No state income tax, obviously.

It has a major international airport - MCO. This means the travel to international and domestic destinations would be significantly cheaper than prices from my current location. They are also serviced by Southwest - my city is not.

Kennedy Space Center is close by. As somewhat of a geek I would enjoy seeing rocket launches. I've tried several times during our vacations but it never worked out.

I'm a Southern boy. The heat there is no worse that what I already experience. Orlando is actually better - because it is between two coasts there are almost always a breeze.

Lots of condos or other age friendly dwellings. I'm in good physical shape now but I fully expect that I hit the 70's and 80's I'll likely have mobility issues, and even if I don't it's still best to allow for the possibility. I don't want or need a lawn to take care of, and my desire for lots of space has pretty much left the building with Elvis.

Sounds like a condo in Orlando might be a terrific choice for you! I'll give the standard advice to rent for a few months before buying a home there, just in case it isn't as appealing to you when a resident, as it was when you were a tourist.

I like hot regions too, and have always thought Florida is a very attractive state for retirement, but Frank does not agree so I will stay here with him. I have never been to Disney World and have no desire to go there, because to me (for some reason) it seems like a kiddy place that would bore me.

My FIL was in the hotel business. In 1992 he brought us all to FL for a family vacation. He knew folks connected with WDW and got us all one day passes, good at ONE of the parks. We chose Epcot and had a really nice time. We saw a lot, the lines weren't too bad and the kids (5 and 8) didn't really fall apart until the end of a very long day.

We chose Epcot because it sounded the most interesting. Our 8 year old was really into science and technology and the 5 year old just enjoyed the spectacle. It wasn't until they were adults that we told them we could have gone to Magic Kingdom!

We had a good time, did a lot for only having one day but never felt the pull to go back. My sister's in-laws lived in Orlando and would get passes and they would go every year and loved it.

We did get to see a space shuttle launch! We were staying in Ft. Pierce and drove up the coast to Cocoa Beach to watch. Very impressive and it took a few seconds for the sound to reach us. Our 8 year old was already a space geek so this was BIG for him!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom