1994 flashback - Mosaic announcement

steelyman

Moderator Emeritus
An old friend and I were catching up recently and he mentioned the following announcement of the formation of Mosaic Communications Corp.

We are both alumni of the University of Illinois which is where the popular Web browser Mosaic was developed. This was a really big deal at the time and still of historical interest. This is a pretty tech-savvy group of people here at e-r.org and I bet many will remember this well.

https://groups.google.com/g/comp.infosystems/c/vmM4xcg7aWk

That's a very interesting link. Fun to read portions of it.

I had left a technology company to work for a different technology company, but after 6 months or so, I realized I had made a bad decision. So I contacted my old company to see if they were interested in my return. They were. When I went into work on my first day at the "new" old job, the VP who welcomed me back said, "You've got to see what we use now. It's called Mosaic and it lets us make all sorts of information available to all the employees. She gave me a demo of the internal deployment and I was amazed." The rest is history. Fond memories.

Awesome to be part of something like that. That time period was pretty amazing how things were coming together. Systems development was still pretty primitive, yet people made it work.

It's about the time I was a wild-eyed developer who was in a great environment. I recall being told to come into work on the 4th July weekend one year. A coworker and I put together a proof of concept to get reports on a different system, a PC. After 3 days, it worked, kind of. Like the underlying components had memory leaks, etc, and would randomly die.

It was installed as a critical application the next day. I wish I was joking. [emoji4]

I still have the 3.5 inch floppy disk that installed Netscape Navigator 1.0. Makes a cool souvenir!

I recall the Netscape release and the "Browser Wars" with IE. I seem to recall that the Netscape developers were in Naperville, IL. am I mis-remembering that?

Back
Top Bottom