2 Way Radio/Marine Band Radio for Christmas

bizlady

Full time employment: Posting here.
My DH wants a good 2 way radio for Christmas. He wants one that will work when he is out on the lake fishing, or in the woods hunting or snowmobiling, so one with a couple mile radius. Idea is he can reach me back at the cabin.

He thinks a Marine radio is needed, but we heard you need an antennae, and do not want to mount that on a roof and run wires into the cabin.

Any suggestions?? I know nothing about these or what to look for.

Thanks in advance

I can't see the need for a marine band radio for the type of use you describe.

We have a set similar to these: Cobra Electronics microTALK® CXT400 22-Mile Radio with Weather

They work great over a few miles distance and I've been very happy with them.

FYI, don't believe the distance claims on any two-way radio - conditions must be absolutely perfect to get the advertised range (clear line of sight, no interference, etc.) A good rule of thumb is probably 20-25% of what they say.

As long as your need for the radios is casual chat, as opposed to safety, REWahoo's suggestion is excellent. And I agree with his comments that the range advertised on these GMRS products is extremely optimistic so if you're looking for a 2 mile range buy something that claims 10 miles or more.

If your concern involves safety, go with marine band radios. Pair a 25 watt base with outdoor antenna (can be modestly sized and a snap to install) with 1 or 2 handheld units and you'll be good to go even in adverse conditions.

It's just a matter of deciding whether you're looking for communications for convenience or for safety. A pair of GMRS handhelds will frequently get the job done. A marine radio base/outdoor antenna paired with a 2 watt handheld will almost always get the job done.

Back
Top Bottom