2008 Subaru needs new drivers seat.

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My friend's 2008 Subaru Outback has a busted drivers seat.

When she drives the car she is tilted a bit to the side, and the tilt is slowly increasing as the months go by. Needless to say this is uncomfortable at best and the cause of back pain at worst.

She's been quoted a price of $4000 for a new seat by the independent shop that maintains her car. :eek: Since the car has over 100K on it, she does not wish to buy a new seat at such a high price. She's been told the seat is not repairable. :confused:

Any suggestions for how to go about trying to find a replacement seat? Are there alternatives to getting a Subaru seat?

There aren't a lot of people in my circle who ever had to replace a seat in an older car so I am reaching out to this group for ideas.

I can’t believe a shop can’t suggest options. Check eBay for people parting out cars. Salvage yards can search for used seats pretty easily.

The forum suggestion is a good idea too.

Unless there something broken in the seats mounting, this should be an easy fix. I’m thinking $500.

Depending on Outback model, I see some coming up on Ebay, price varies depending on condition...$350-$550.

Has she tried anything on her own to work around the issue? Maybe put something underneath on the side that is tilting? Maybe a couple of 2x4s cut and stacked?

Last edited:
It's not a completely simple task. The 08 Outback Seat movement is electronically controlled, and the Outback has side airbags, so both of those complications have to be taken into account in any installation.

Those installation factors may weigh in the costs — but the Subaru experts on the forum will be able to answer better than I.

My friend's 2008 Subaru Outback has a busted drivers seat.

When she drives the car she is tilted a bit to the side, and the tilt is slowly increasing as the months go by. Needless to say this is uncomfortable at best and the cause of back pain at worst.

She's been quoted a price of $4000 for a new seat by the independent shop that maintains her car. :eek: Since the car has over 100K on it, she does not wish to buy a new seat at such a high price. She's been told the seat is not repairable. :confused:

Any suggestions for how to go about trying to find a replacement seat? Are there alternatives to getting a Subaru seat?

IMHO, your friend should sell the old Subara and buy a new one. Considering the recent advances in automotive safety technology, continuing to drive (and trying to repair) a "busted" 13-year old car every day is somewhat imprudent. Unless it's got some kind of strong sentimental value for her—in which case she should keep it and drive it occasionally, on weekends, etc.—she'd be much better off getting a newer, safer car with all the latest tech. Of course, I'm assuming she has the financial wherewithal to purchase a new (or very recent model year) car without straining her budget/savings, etc.

Last edited:
Make sure it's the seat and not the mounting points in the floor. Rust can eat those away.

Not familiar with the Subaru, but am thrifty and have done a bit of automotive work.

I have replaced front seats using parts from wrecking yards. Problem is that the driver's seat has the same wear pattern problem your driver's seat does. Solution: use parts from the wrecking yard passenger seat. I've replaced components on several cars, including the seat bottom pad and leather cover on a BMW. It worked. Did a seat back, but it was more problematic with seat back release button and cables.

Thanks.

She is not very car oriented. She's the start it up and go type of owner, whose only tech knowledge is to take it in for the required service. Buying a another car in today's auto sales environment is not appealing. Besides, who buys a new car just to get a driver's seat that isn't broken?

Besides, who buys a new car just to get a driver's seat that isn't broken?

Maybe people that have a broken driver's seat that will cost $4K? :LOL:

Unfortunately, holding a used car is a balance. You have to balance the value of new technology (rear camera and navigation interaction with my phone are my favorites) with keeping a used car along with the repair cost.

It certainly does seem that one should be able to replace a seat for much less than what was quoted, but if it has an airbag in the seat, how are you going to be sure that it will operate if you get a used seat?

Maybe someone could weld a new bracket onto the seat and repair it from that perspective. I cringed when someone mentioned a 2x4. The seat is likely a very critical safety component of the car and I wouldn't want to mess around with a backyard mechanic fix.

The old formulas still hold IMO. If the repair is more expensive than the car is worth, then maybe you don't fix it. Otherwise, find the best alternative and get it repaired. Best wishes to your friend.

She may have already received a good answer on the forum.

Re buying another car: as an 08 Outback owner, I can say that if she takes care of the car -- regular oil changes, and timing belt changes (if not done already, her TB is due for that) then it wouldn't be unusual for her car to last her to at least the 250,000 mile mark.

If she has a 2.5i engine then it comes with a rubber timing belt that needs changing every 100,000 miles. If it's a 3.0 engine, then it has a timing chain and not to worry.

There's no airbag actually in an Outback seat. There's one in the steering wheel, and airbags along the side of the car. I'm not sure how the airbags interact electronically with the seat.

The 2.5i engines are notorious for head-gasket failures -- but if she keeps an eagle eye on the car temperature and reacts quickly to any overheating, her head gasket job (multilayer-steel gasket NOT the Subaru OEM part) then her bill will be the $2,000 to $3,000 range and her Outback, with routine maintenance, will be good to go to 250,000 miles.

Mileage survival is partly dependant on whether the car lives in the rust belt or not.

That's a lot cheaper than buying a new or slightly used car.

Of course it won't have all the bells and whistles to enjoy (and distract) while driving, but different strokes for different folks.

There's a good reason why Outback owners are so loyal to the brand.

Last edited:
Not familiar with the Subaru, but am thrifty and have done a bit of automotive work.

I have replaced front seats using parts from wrecking yards. Problem is that the driver's seat has the same wear pattern problem your driver's seat does. Solution: use parts from the wrecking yard passenger seat. I've replaced components on several cars, including the seat bottom pad and leather cover on a BMW. It worked. Did a seat back, but it was more problematic with seat back release button and cables.

I agree with calmloki. Get one from the junkyard and have an independent mechanic install it.

It would never even consider the price of a new one for an '08.

Use www.car-part.com to find one quickly and to get an idea of prices.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom