2020 ACA Clawback

mitchjav

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi all - paid my taxes before the Winter/Spring relief bill and the payment included Clawback for the 2020 ACA. That relief bill promised that the Clawback would not be taken and all the guidance for those that had already repaid it was to wait on the IRS. Does anyone know if that guidance has been updated? Has anyone in a similar situation received a refund of the clawback $'s?

Here's the last I saw from IRS (posted I believe in March):

The American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, enacted on March 11, 2021, suspended the requirement to repay excess advance payments of the premium tax credit (excess APTC) for tax year 2020.

If you already filed a 2020 return and reported excess APTC or made an excess APTC repayment, you don’t need to file an amended return or take any other action.

Last edited:
I took no action and got a check. It was a small amount, but I didn't do anything... just showed up one day. You didn't get an unexpected ACH deposit, did you?

I received a check from the IRS back in June for the excess payment, didn't do anything extra after filing my return.

I repaid my obligation in late 2020 based on the current information. When the ARA passed I updated our taxes and received the significant refund this summer.

I received a check from the IRS back in June for the excess payment, didn't do anything extra after filing my return.

No, I never received anything - I guess I can reconcile on 2021 taxes, but maybe something will still arrive before than. At least I know some folks are getting it....

DS and I received checks from the insurance company, nothing from the IRS. We received them last week. The letter stated it was due to the ARA.

DS and I received checks from the insurance company, nothing from the IRS. We received them last week. The letter stated it was due to the ARA.

The check you got from the insurance company is probably due to the medical loss ratio threshold, I also got one of those from BCBS, that's separate from the check you would get from the IRS when you reconciled your ACA premiums/subsidy at the end of the year on your tax returns and had to pay back some amount. As I recall I also got a letter from the IRS notifying me a check (ACH deposit in my case) was on the way.

Last edited:
No, I never received anything - I guess I can reconcile on 2021 taxes, but maybe something will still arrive before than. At least I know some folks are getting it....

There's no legitimate mechanism for reconciling on your 2021 tax return.

You should expect a check or direct deposit from the IRS separately for your overpayment amount. I'm sure it's coming Real Soon Now.

(Just like my 2020 tax refund. I'd call, but they tell me they're too busy to talk with me every time I try.)

Back
Top Bottom