2022 first full year of retirement: tax gain harvest, Roth conversion, etc...

corn18

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
2022 is my first full year of retirement (age 56). Looking at what to do for income taxes, tax gain harvesting, Roth conversion and Roth contribution.

Income:

$32,000 RSUs vest (These are leftover that I was allowed to keep as part of severance package. This should be W-2 income and gets paid on 30 Dec 2022)
$49,000 military pension (1099-R, taxable)
$11,000 investment income (mostly qual/non qual dividends)
$4,800 deferred comp

$96,800 Total income

-$25,900 Std Deduction

$70,900 taxable income (some of this will be qualified dividends)

I will do a Roth contribution for my me and my wife in early 2023. I need to make sure the RSUs are W-2 income. I have asked, they said yes, but I can wait until I have the W-2 in early 2023 and then do the Roth contributions.

With the headroom to $83,350 for 0% LTCG tax, I was going to tax gain harvest in my taxable account. I don't need to withdraw anything (have enough cash for 2022). I could do Roth conversions up to the top of the 12% bracket, but I don't really need to. All my tax deferred is in my 401k which has a great stable value fund and allows rule of 55 withdrawals at any time for any amount.

Looking past 2022, I will not have the RSU income, so I will have about $35k of headroom each year to continue tax gain harvesting and/or 401k conversions. Probably do a mix.

Does all this seem reasonable?

Yes, seems reasonable as long as you're sure that you will be in what is now the 22% tax bracket in your 70s once pensions, SS and RMDs are happening.

Yes, seems reasonable as long as you're sure that you will be in what is now the 22% tax bracket in your 70s once pensions, SS and RMDs are happening.

Yup, will be in the 22% bracket with the military pension and SS. Unless I'm dead.

Back
Top Bottom