2022 Withdrawal Rates?

I have a low swr, 1.3%, because I am poor and 100% invested in the stock market. And I am living the same way in retirement as I did my previous 51 years, extremely frugally and extremely happily.

Did you not sell stocks because the market was down last year?

Both retired in 2009. At the time dh was 54 and yours truly 51. DH receives a small non cola'd pension. We own our home and have no mortgage. The WR is based on the portfolio balance at the beginning of each year.

All expenses are included...from marshmallows to federal taxes.

2009 Projected WR.....0 (dh worked part of that year, we had to take no reserves)
2010 Projected WR....3%......Actual 2.71%
2011 Projected WR....3%......Actual 3.27%
2012 Projected WR....3%......Actual 2.87%
2013 Projected WR....3.5%...Actual 4.94%
2014 Projected WR....3.5%...Actual 2.68%
2015 Projected WR....3.5%...Actual 3.57%
2016 Projected WR....3%......Actual 2.01% (dh started SS in June)
2017 Projected WR....3%......Actual 1.5%
2018 Projected WR....3%......Actual 4.1%
2019 Projected WR....3%......Actual 1.17%
2020 Projected WR....3%......Actual -.75% (I started SS in January)
2021 Projected WR....3%......Actual -.63%
2022 Projected WR....3%......Actual -.23%

Do you have any concern about the negative withdrawal rates in recently years? Do you wish that you withdrew and spent more in early years?

Did you not sell stocks because the market was down last year?

Last year I didnt sell any stocks(my stocks are in index mutual funds). I had a few thousand dollars in the bank at the beginning of last year so I was able to live solely off dividends. I will have to sell some this year either next quarter or in Q3. So when I say 100% stocks there may be times I'm closer to 99% or 98%.

Do you have any concern about the negative withdrawal rates in recently years? Do you wish that you withdrew and spent more in early years?
We realize time waits for no one, but the answer to both questions is no.

For the most part the last three years were 'covid years', so we didn't travel much except to see family members.

During that time if we had an urge to buy something expensive, we would have. But we have all we need and most of what we want, so it's all good. :)

Back
Top Bottom