2022 Year-End Distributions

No wonder I see reduced dividends for this yr compared to last yr

Audrey, do you own any funds which included non-dividend distributions as part of their overall distributions? My (snake-bit) friend has a few of these which are non-Fidelity but are held within his Fidelity brokerage account. In trying to predict his income so I can figure out how much of his RMD to withhold for taxes, I have tangled with trying to guess how much of these dividends are non-dividend distributions (i.e. Return of Capital; not taxable). I have found annual reports which show the amount of RoC by year, per share, which have been helpful. We'll see how good my detective work pans out soon.

I don’t think I’ve ever received a non-dividend distribution or a return of capital from my funds. Fidelity updates each account year-to-date tax info daily if that helps.

I don’t think I’ve ever received a non-dividend distribution or a return of capital from my funds. Fidelity updates each account year-to-date tax info daily if that helps.

The presence of non-dividend distributions as a subset of all dividends does not appear until the 1099-DIV form comes out, just like Qualified Dividends. There is a column on that form, even if it all zeros. Depending on how complex your portfolio is, these non-dividend distributions may appear in the Supplemental Information section of the overall forms.

Back
Top Bottom