2023 HSA contribution limits

walkinwood

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
** Please confirm my understanding ****

DW & I are covered by an HSA compliant plan

In 2022, the maximum contribution for an individual was $3650 and for family was 2X that amount $7300.

In 2023, the individual limit is $3850, and the family amount is $7750, which is $50 more than 2x the individual amount.

In addition, each person on the family plan over 55 can add an additional $1000.00

DW & I have separate HSA accounts and are both over 55.

I assume we can each contribute $4850 in our HSA accounts. Or any other combination as long as the total of our contributions is less than or equal to $9750.

** Please confirm my understanding ****

DW & I are covered by an HSA compliant plan

In 2022, the maximum contribution for an individual was $3650 and for family was 2X that amount $7300.

In 2023, the individual limit is $3850, and the family amount is $7750, which is $50 more than 2x the individual amount.

In addition, each person on the family plan over 55 can add an additional $1000.00

DW & I have separate HSA accounts and are both over 55.

I assume we can each contribute $4850 in our HSA accounts. Or any other combination as long as the total of our contributions is less than or equal to $9750.

Not quite. You can divide the $7750 between your two individual HSA accounts any way you wish, but the $1000 catch-up for each of you has to go into your own accounts. So for example, you can't divide the $9750 up as $9000 and $750, but you could divide it as $8750 and $1000.

Thanks Cathy63. That is my understanding too though I didn't express myself correctly.
Thank you for your response.

Not quite. You can divide the $7750 between your two individual HSA accounts any way you wish, but the $1000 catch-up for each of you has to go into your own accounts. So for example, you can't divide the $9750 up as $9000 and $750, but you could divide it as $8750 and $1000.

Would the total MFJ limit still be the family limit if both spouses had self-only coverage? I started to work through Form 8889 Part I to try to figure this out and ran out of spoons.

Would the total MFJ limit still be the family limit if both spouses had self-only coverage? I started to work through Form 8889 Part I to try to figure this out and ran out of spoons.
No. See Rules for married people: "If either spouse has family HDHP coverage, both spouses are treated as having family HDHP coverage." Thus if neither spouse has family coverage, each uses the single limit.

We each used the single limit as we each had individual policies. DH is now on Medicare and I continue with the single limit.

We file two forms 8889 one for each of us.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom