2nd Honeymoon cruising the Greek isles.

Cattusbabe

Full time employment: Posting here.
We are in the planning stage but our tenth is coming up in 2012 and we are going to renew our vows. We plan a celebration on shore with friends and family and plan to have a ceremony at sea.

Anyone ever take a cruise to this neck of the woods? Which line did you use and what were your impressions? We would be leaving June of 2012.

We did a cruise out of Venice to the Greek Isles in Sept 2010 on Royal Caribbean. It was an older ship but still very nice. We've sailed a number of times with Royal and Princess - Princess is also a good mainstream line, as is Celebrity. I've heard you should avoid the European lines (MSC, Costa). Holland American trends to an older demographic if you want that.

Many of the Greek Island cruises do not including Santorini. IMHO that is a must-see. The geography of the island is stunningly beautiful - one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. The weather was perfect - warm but not too hot. I've heard it's quite hot in June-July.

The highlights of our cruise were Venice itself and Santorini. Mykonos was nice, as was Corfu. We also liked Dubrovnik, Croatia.

Any more specific questions, just ask.

Thanks for the info. I am reading that smaller ships are a better bet for these islands since the newer and larger ones cannot get close in and you have to take a "shuttle" of sorts to actually get to the islands.

I am also reading the same things you stated about Santorini so we will definitely book a cruise that stops there.

We have done a curise out of Italy that hit the Greek Isles and Turkey. It was on Celebrity. They have had two ships sailing in that area during the summer months, the Solstice and the Equinox. Both ships are newish (the last three years) and both are wonderful. You can't go wrong with Celebrity. They are owned by Royal and maybe just one step up from them in quality. We love Royal also.

We did the Greek Isles about 8 years ago on a 4 masted ship. I like the smaller ships a lot better than the ones with the dancing waiters with stuff on their heads.

My wife, two of her sisters, and the husbands did a Mediterranean cruise in 2006 aboard the Celebrity Galaxy. We had a fabulous time. Here is my Top 10 of the trip:

10. Food and entertainment on the Galaxy.
9. Hand-carved chess set purchased in the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul. (I collect chess sets from around the world.)
8. Hand-woven Turkish rug purchased in Istanbul.
7. Geology of Santorini.
6. Chess set purchased in Sorrento, Italy. (A huge set with marble-inlaid chess table.)
5. Ruins in Delos (near Mykonos).
4. Edifices (Topkopi Palace, Haghia Sophia, and the Blue Mosque) of Istanbul.
3. The acropolis of Lindos on Rhodes Island.
2. The Acropolis of Athens.
1. The ruins of Ephasis (near Kusadasi, Turkey).

As you can see, we enjoyed Turkey as much as Greece.

I have always fantasized about chartering a sailboat to cruise the greek isles. Maybe one of these days.....

Personally, I love small boats for cruising.

Audrey

I have always fantasized about chartering a sailboat to cruise the greek isles. Maybe one of these days.....

Better lash that motor home securely to the deck or brake failure will be the least of your problems.

Personally, I love small

I didn't realize this thread was R rated... :)

Better lash that motor home securely to the deck or brake failure will be the least of your problems.
Hmmm - the boats I have in mind couldn't handle MH as cargo. We'll have to leave it at home....

Audrey

C'babe, I have never been to the Greek isles so I can't give you any advice.

However, I have to say it sounds so romantic and I'm so proud for the two of you. :flowers:

C'babe, I have never been to the Greek isles so I can't give you any advice.

However, I have to say it sounds so romantic and I'm so proud for the two of you. :flowers:

Thanks. Ours is a marriage that most of the folks we knew was so sure would not make it. After 8 years most of the naysayers have slowly come to accept our union. I can honestly say that we are happier now than the day married.

Personally, I love small boats for cruising.
Audrey

Go for it!
We took our Little Sailor and another couple with a small kid and chartered a sailboat for little over a week on Aegean Sea. Definitely not enough time, but had fun.
Weather was only marginally cooperating (that's my luck :( ) - on a first day out we hit an unexpected storm with 45 knots sustained wind speed.
There is a gazillion companies out there which provide both captained and bareboat chaters. The charter prices seem to be comparable to Carribean & Florida prices.
If you want to avoid the crowds go early or late in the season (before May or after September)
We'll come back again there on our own boat :D

Back
Top Bottom