3 Nights in Budapest, Vienna, or somewhere in Between?

FWIW, my general rule of thumb is 1 day of travel for 3 days in a city at a minimum. Of course that can vary with the city. And if the travel between cities is spectacular that can also affects how I adjust the ratio.

That's pretty close to my rule of thumb as well. But the trip between Vienna and Budapest is beautiful if you take the Danube. Maybe after a cruise it is unnecessary but it is pretty awesome.

But I agree with others, pick a city and spend 3 nights. You won't be disappointed.

We often book accommodation a few days in advance. If we are not familiar with a city we book for two days. If we like it we stay longer. We keep our travel schedule wide open except for sometimes bookending with flights.

On our last 6 week trip to Mexico we booked 2 days in Puerto Escondido, We stayed for eight nights. Same for Acapulco and Zihuatanejo.

We do exactly the same in SE and Europe. Minimum stay in any one place is usually three days.

snip
And I like the pastries in Budapest better.
snip

That's really interesting, because that was by far my opposite experience. On one trip to Vienna, I remember on a work trip, I remember distinctly that at 4 pm, my colleague declaring "Now, it is time. We must stop and have cake". I looked forward to that time of the day.

But there are also many sights, including palaces and museums, that can fill you day. I never had the same feeling in Budapest, but I do actually like the savory side (and there are common themes in the pastry). The castle, the spa, the markets, the architecture are all memorable too. For my first visit, I'd stick with Vienna.

That's really interesting, because that was by far my opposite experience. On one trip to Vienna, I remember on a work trip, I remember distinctly that at 4 pm, my colleague declaring "Now, it is time. We must stop and have cake". I looked forward to that time of the day.

But there are also many sights, including palaces and museums, that can fill you day. I never had the same feeling in Budapest, but I do actually like the savory side (and there are common themes in the pastry). The castle, the spa, the markets, the architecture are all memorable too. For my first visit, I'd stick with Vienna.

Well, like I said, there is no wrong answer. Both cities are incredible. Vienna pastries are awesome but...Erszebet Torta in Budapest won me over!

Back
Top Bottom