3 things you NEVER or ALWAYS should do when purchasing a home

Most of the good stuff has already been discussed but something I ran into when I was selling a rehab is to check to see if the county is requiring any improvements on the property. I sold a rehab in December and a week later I got a letter in the mail from the county. It was notifying us that all the homes in the subdivision were required to connect to the public sewer and disconnet their septic tanks. The county was requiring the homeowners to pay for the upgrade. IIRC it was going to cost the new owner about $2500 to complete the job.
Guess what I do when I do when I buy a rehab now!

Arif said:
I sold a rehab in December and a week later I got a letter in the mail from the county. It was notifying us that all the homes in the subdivision were required to connect to the public sewer and disconnet their septic tanks. The county was requiring the homeowners to pay for the upgrade. IIRC it was going to cost the new owner about $2500 to complete the job.
Man, talk about dodging a bullet. I'm amazed the new owner didn't try to litigate your sale disclosure...

Yea same for wells and city water. In our acreage, the cost to connect was estimated to be $10,000 because the house was 200 ft back from the road. New owners were lobbying for it because their monster homes were closer to the road and had well problems feeding their pools, lawn sprinklers and 5 bathrooms. Luckily we defeated the movement. :LOL:

Man, talk about dodging a bullet. I'm amazed the new owner didn't try to litigate your sale disclosure...

That's why on my disclosure documents if I didn't do the work or pay someone to do it I always note "Unknown." You can never know everything about a house no matter how many inspections you get done. I've bought homes that were inspected and then the HVAC goes out and that's $3000 out of the profits.

Back
Top Bottom