36 Activities Ranked WRT COVID-19 Risk

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do people think about babysitting grandchildren? How risky?

I think if you babysit the grandchildren you are basically inheriting whatever risk their family has. So if you are babysitting so the parents can go to a front line job it is probably very risky. If the family is doing other high risk behaviors it is probably very risky. If you are watching the grandkids so the parent can work remotely in peace and they are taking lots of other precautions in their lives it probably isn't too bad.

Evidence seems to be most kids don't get as sick but studies seem really mixed on how easily they spread it. But you are likely to have close contact with them so if they catch it you probably have good odds of catching it from them if you are babysitting.

I think if you babysit the grandchildren you are basically inheriting whatever risk their family has. So if you are babysitting so the parents can go to a front line job it is probably very risky. If the family is doing other high risk behaviors it is probably very risky. If you are watching the grandkids so the parent can work remotely in peace and they are taking lots of other precautions in their lives it probably isn't too bad.

Evidence seems to be most kids don't get as sick but studies seem really mixed on how easily they spread it. But you are likely to have close contact with them so if they catch it you probably have good odds of catching it from them if you are babysitting.

Agree, unless you know that they are as strict about stuff as you are and still.....

Unfortunately it's just like everything else, it's not a problem until it's a problem.

I just found out my tax guy who I should probably see sometime before the 15th took a trip to Vegas. .Ticks me off because IMO it's not the way as professional in contact with the public should behave. I need to call his office and can't decide what to do.

Hopefully you can quickly hand over materials and otherwise deal over the phone.

Today we got an invitation for a friends 50th wedding anniversary in a couple of weeks. It is going to be at a swanky local restaurant (indoors!) with a 3 course meal, drinks, etc. The invitation says there will be social distancing and precautions. I think around 50 people have been invited. Most everyone in attendance will be age 70 plus. We are going to decline and we understand several other couples are declining. We also understand that the couple's children have asked their parents to postpone this event since our area is a hot spot with increasing numbers of cases, hospitalizations and deaths and inside gatherings are suppose to be limited to 25 people or less under our Governor's order. This sounds like a super spreader event to us. We have not even eaten at a restaurant yet (either inside or outside) and we cannot imagine attending a party like this at this time.

Our friends planning the 50th anniversary party finally came to their senses and now the party is on Zoom. I think very few people said they would come and their children said no way so Zoom it is, thank heavens.

+1

Everyone the parents met, and the grandkids met, and who those people met in the past 14 days are the risk. It's probably a bigger number than most folks expect.

+1

Everyone the parents met, and the grandkids met, and who those people met in the past 14 days are the risk. It's probably a bigger number than most folks expect.

FWIW, a Swiss study indicates that children under 10 don't pass on the virus. Also, I have heard one CV expert say that people with no or very light symptoms tend to not shed the virus very much if at all. Alas, they also don't build up much immunity to the virus. All of this is preliminary and is subject to newer and better science.

FWIW, a Swiss study indicates that children under 10 don't pass on the virus. Also, I have heard one CV expert say that people with no or very light symptoms tend to not shed the virus very much if at all. Alas, they also don't build up much immunity to the virus. All of this is preliminary and is subject to newer and better science.

If the dangers from children is really so small, then it must

Even if asymptomatic folks or folks with light symptoms don’t shed as much virus, clearly they shed enough to simultaneously infect a large number of other folks in the right circumstances as it seems to happen over and over again. This virus is highly contagious. So what’s the point of distinguishing the amount shed if it’s still enough to infect so many they come in contact with at indoor group gatherings? They know that people become contagious a day or two before showing symptoms, so what is the point again?

If it was that doctor from the WHO they were doing some obscure word parsing/splitting hairs with no practical distinctions and had to walk back their claims.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom