3AM Tornado Warning...

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Had a tiring drive home from the villages yesterday - Up at 3AM, on the road before 4AM. Pulled in around 7PM thats 15 hours on the road. 3 drivers thank god, we rotated the driving. Breakfast and lunch packed only stopped for nature calls. By 10 PM glass of red wine in hand took the old pooch for a walk and was in bed out cold a few minutes later. The Mrs was busy with a million things like a mountain of mail and came to bed a little later. I need to put away my clothes.

The thunderstorm woke me; it was really rocking. Jumped put of bed and ran around and made sure all the windows were closed. Back to bed, asleep 3AM (TORNADO WARNING ALARM) was it the phone? Half awake. The Mrs rolled over, turned it off and went back to bed. Have no idea what is that? All I know is -it was screaming and loud. I didn’t know it was a tornado warning until i checked my phone. I am pretty sure our first ever. I suppose you should not sleep through it.

The old pooch’s first walk of the day 6:45AM -59 degrees out there- feels wonderfully refreshing, a few clouds. Just opened a nearby window

Be it ever so humble..

Welcome home. We've been home since April 2, and while the weather has largely sucked, it still feels good. Of course, we were away for 3 months. It's about 18-20 hours for us from The Villages to The Finger Lakes. We have a daughter and grandkids in Charlotte. We (I) opted to drive home from Charlotte. It's about 11 hours, but DW doesn't drive on these trips. She has to take Dramamine for motion sickness, and once she does that she is in no shape to drive. The drive wasn't too horrible, but my body was pretty stiff for a few days before it recovered. How do you feel today after a 15 hour car day?
I don't remember it bothering me so much when I was a younger man.

HadEnuff,
Thanks great to be home. This morning I am feeling pretty good.. funny how that first cup of coffee tastes better sitting in my normal morning spot. I am very stiff when I get out of the car- it takes a while for it to wear off... Yes, don’t know how you manage as a solo driver.

May I ask: Are their towns by you that have real downtowns? If so can you recommend one or two? Near some water preferably.

Had a tiring drive home from the villages yesterday - Up at 3AM, on the road before 4AM. Pulled in around 7PM thats 15 hours on the road. 3 drivers thank god, we rotated the driving. Breakfast and lunch packed only stopped for nature calls. By 10 PM glass of red wine in hand took the old pooch for a walk and was in bed out cold a few minutes later. The Mrs was busy with a million things like a mountain of mail and came to bed a little later. I need to put away my clothes.

The thunderstorm woke me; it was really rocking. Jumped put of bed and ran around and made sure all the windows were closed. Back to bed, asleep 3AM (TORNADO WARNING ALARM) was it the phone? Half awake. The Mrs rolled over, turned it off and went back to bed. Have no idea what is that? All I know is -it was screaming and loud. I didn’t know it was a tornado warning until i checked my phone. I am pretty sure our first ever. I suppose you should not sleep through it.

The old pooch’s first walk of the day 6:45AM -59 degrees out there- feels wonderfully refreshing, a few clouds. Just opened a nearby window

Be it ever so humble..
What State?

Thanks. I can't imagine the stress those warning alarms would be. Glad all turned out fine with you. I see Texas got hit very bad.

HadEnuff,
Thanks great to be home. This morning I am feeling pretty good.. funny how that first cup of coffee tastes better sitting in my normal morning spot. I am very stiff when I get out of the car- it takes a while for it to wear off... Yes, don’t know how you manage as a solo driver.

May I ask: Are their towns by you that have real downtowns? If so can you recommend one or two? Near some water preferably.

do you mean near where I am in NY, or in Florida?

In Florida I was in The Villages, so I think you know the lay of the land down there. In NY, not really. I'm 90 minutes from downtown Rochester, but I don't know anything about it. I try to avoid it. I'm about 2 1/2 hours from Downtown Buffalo, again don't know much about it. I try to avoid it.

HadEnuff

<b>In NY, not really. I'm 90 minutes from downtown Rochester, but I don't know anything about it. I try to avoid it. I'm about 2 1/2 hours from Downtown Buffalo, again don't know much about it. I try to avoid it</b>

Thanks.. thats what I wanted to know.

Yes, similar happened here. We are about 1.0 hour east of Ray. What caught my attention at 3AM was the lightning in the western sky. We were lucky, in that the storm moved through quickly, and I don't think we were subjected to the intense red seen on the weather maps.

Our iPhones blared tornado warnings yesterday evening as well. While I appreciate that we get them, it would be better if they didn't go off for a tornado two counties away, and it would be even better if the message on the phone gave that information. All it said was, "... in your area." I had to go on the internet to figure out exactly where the warning was.

I learned to pay attention about 20 years ago when a tornado missed my house outside Atlanta by about a mile. DW told me in the morning that there had been an incredible storm and she "almost" decided to wake me up.

HadEnuff,

Ray,
Ithaca, Auburn, and Geneva are all cities with real downtowns on the Finger Lakes.
All the lakes also have cute little villages like Watkins Glen and Hammondsport with restaurants, diners, taverns and Bed and Breakfasts.
It's one of the greenest most beautiful places in the USA. And a bargain for tourists. Don't tell anyone.

<b>GravitySucks Ray,
Ithaca, Auburn, and Geneva are all cities with real downtowns on the Finger Lakes.
All the lakes also have cute little villages like Watkins Glen and Hammondsport with restaurants, diners, taverns and Bed and Breakfasts.
It's one of the greenest most beautiful places in the USA. And a bargain for tourists. Don't tell anyone.</b>

Thanks exactly what I wanted..

I wonder in terms of retirement towns anyone has any advise on Tenn. (yes I know about the sales tax burden)

Ithaca is a beautiful little town.

Late yesterday afternoon, we had a confirmed tornado touchdown about 40 miles away in a small town in Ohio. Lots of debris, downed trees, and siding removed, luckily no injuries, or deaths, but damage reports sound bad. I'm sure tonight's local news will show the results.

Update: The Mrs (aka sleepyhead) tells me that a tornado did touch down in Delaware. We live on the border.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom