4% Rule and Target Date Funds

Dranoel

Dryer sheet aficionado
The author here concludes that the safe withdrawal rate for a 30 year retirement using Target Date funds is well below the accepted 4% rule because they do not re-balance to maintain a 50/50 portfolio. Most stop around 40/60. His argument seems sensible. If he's correct, I might have to make some changes...:(

I only read the first bit and decided not to invest any more time right now to read further. This part stopped me dead in my tracks......

I noticed that two investing/retirement rules of thumb were used in his presentation:
  1. Use Target Date Retirement funds
  2. The 4% withdrawal rule.
Being a geek, specifically regarding withdrawal rates in retirement, I immediately noticed an issue with these rules of thumb – they aren’t likely to be true if people follow both at the same time!

Target Date funds are for accumulation phase and 4% SWR applies to distribution phase, so why would anyone follow both at the same time?

A bigger issue to me is that the specific AA varies significantly between different mutual fund companies for a given Target Date. I generally ratchet up the equity side a bit to satisfy my own risk tolerance

Target funds cuttiing back on equity's over time will likely have trouble keeping pace. Cash and bonds are starting out at just to low as far as returns.

At one point I had 100% in a 2015 TDF. Over the past few years, I found myself wandering out into funds that deliver more return.

I still have about 30% in my 2015 but I find I'm now there for the general broad market it represents rather than a RE return.

You can always use a fund that is dated a decade or two after you retire. You just can't verify your SWR unless you have a calculator that can handle the variable AA.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom